• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skip ToT intro ?

ellie05

DIS Veteran
We are leaving at the end of this week and we are going with friends. Their daughter is 5 and the mom thinks she will love ToT but will be afraid of the intro. Is there anyway we could skip the video ?

You can ask. I don't know that they can do that on ToT. I do know they will sometimes let you skip the stretching room at Haunted Mansion, but I am not sure what the official rules are and your success may vary.

I've asked before when I knew there was no wait to get into an elevator and the answer was no. It might depend on the cast member though, so wouldn't hurt to ask.

You can't usually skip because the door to the queue closes before the door into the room opens. If they hold it for too long it is possible it would throw off the system. I know most of the doors and videos are times meticulously for greatest capacity. I've been on days that there is no wait and you still have to do the preshow.

You can't usually skip because the door to the queue closes before the door into the room opens. If they hold it for too long it is possible it would throw off the system. I know most of the doors and videos are times meticulously for greatest capacity. I've been on days that there is no wait and you still have to do the preshow.

I didn't think this would be possible I was thinking more in the lines of maybe her and mom can take the chicken exit and wait for the rest of the party.

I didn't think this would be possible I was thinking more in the lines of maybe her and mom can take the chicken exit and wait for the rest of the party.

Ah. I think the problem with using the chicken exit to get up is that it there may not be a CM staffing it since it is at the exit of the attraction and someone would have to go down and back up with you since the entrance/exit to the chicken exit is not near the pre-show.

It really does depend on the cast member. When I worked there, at the merge point, if someone mentioned that their child was scared, I would alert the CM in the library and let them know that there would be two people waiting to go through when the video was over. It is really hard to time as the sliding door is on a timer and it is preferred, obviously, that the door is closed when the next library show occurs.

It definitely doesn't hurt to communicate with the first CM you see and they may alert the person at the merge point.

The alternative exit is after the preshow so she couldn't do that before. If you are thinking of going in the back way and then having the little girl and her mother go up the elevator to meet their party after the preshow, that could work. But, as a PP said, timing would be a factor. The alternative exits are set up to get people out, not in.

The alternative exit is after the preshow so she couldn't do that before. If you are thinking of going in the back way and then having the little girl and her mother go up the elevator to meet their party after the preshow, that could work. But, as a PP said, timing would be a factor. The alternative exits are set up to get people out, not in.

I know the exit is after the preshow. I know that is an exit. I also have seen people come back through the exit at times twice granted they had left something on the ride. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that. Just to be clear we want to try skip the preshow but do the ride.

Not sure but with anything we thought my son might find scary we have always shown him videos so he knew what to expect. We also told him that things that are scary are actually supposed to be silly - ex. The Haunted Mansion SEEMS like it should be scary but there are a lot of funny and silly things that actually happen. It always worked with my son.

FYI-the ride continues the video and has some loud sounds, etc at the start. Not really sure the ride is less "scary" in terms of theatrics.

I guess what I am saying is that if the intro seems like it'll be frightening to your friend's DD, then the first part of the ride might be, as well.

As others suggested, it might be best to prep the girl about the ride - it's based on an TV show, it's just make-believe, wouldn't it be cool to dress really fancy on our vacation, etc.

Part of the fun is being a little nervous, but of course, I have seen the kids who were scared out of their wits riding (and adults), protesting while they strapped in. And...I have seen little ones that just make the height requirement, happily smiling and enjoying it all!

Best of luck! My daughter rode it at 5....but only once! I think HM scared her more...and she enjoyed scary storybooks! Now, 11, she loves it!

FYI-the ride continues the video and has some loud sounds, etc at the start. Not really sure the ride is less "scary" in terms of theatrics.

I guess what I am saying is that if the intro seems like it'll be frightening to your friend's DD, then the first part of the ride might be, as well.

As others suggested, it might be best to prep the girl about the ride - it's based on an TV show, it's just make-believe, wouldn't it be cool to dress really fancy on our vacation, etc.

Part of the fun is being a little nervous, but of course, I have seen the kids who were scared out of their wits riding (and adults), protesting while they strapped in. And...I have seen little ones that just make the height requirement, happily smiling and enjoying it all!

Best of luck! My daughter rode it at 5....but only once! I think HM scared her more...and she enjoyed scary storybooks! Now, 11, she loves it!

Completely agree. A 5 year old standing likely won't be able to see the movie anyway. The ride story you see as doors open is more scary and the darkness going into the elevator can be the worst. If they think the preshow is too much, I'd likely skip the ride for her.

I don't know if this will work but ask if you can go through the exit door, explaining that your daughter is afraid of the pre show, etc. etc. They MAY let you do it. They let me go through the exit door last week on my ECV as I didn't have anyone to push me on a wheelchair through the queue/preshow. And yes, the beginning of the ride is a little scary...but i'm glad there was something besides the ride for missing the preshow!

It has been a few years but when my daughter was younger the CM let us skip the pre-show because it would scare her but she wanted to ride. They just let us in while the others were still going out. It can't hurt to ask. Good luck.

I know the ride continues with the story ( we have AP) but without hearing the story is just some holograms of people.

Completely agree. A 5 year old standing likely won't be able to see the movie anyway. The ride story you see as doors open is more scary and the darkness going into the elevator can be the worst. If they think the preshow is too much, I'd likely skip the ride for her.

But she will be able to hear the story the mom thinks she will love the ride as she loves thrill rides and is fine in the dark as long as she is not alone but has fear of ghosts.

I know the ride continues with the story ( we have AP) but without hearing the story is just some holograms of people.

But she will be able to hear the story the mom thinks she will love the ride as she loves thrill rides and is fine in the dark as long as she is not alone but has fear of ghosts.

I guess I don't get it. I think the visuals on the ride, the ghost family, the zapping and them disappearing is worse.

I guess I don't get it. I think the visuals on the ride, the ghost family, the zapping and them disappearing is worse.

The only reason you make that connection is because you know the story little kids don't automatically assume what we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter