Skinny Minnie -Barney's Petition

Missypyxi

Mouseketeer
I hope I'm not out of line for posting this here, but I do remember coming across a post in another thread regarding the new look they've given to Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck in a new Barneys campaign. I just received an email petition against the new look and I wanted to share it for those who might be interested in signing it.

Title of the petition: Barneys plans to dramatically alter Minnie Mouse's body - making her a 5'11 size 0 in order to "look good" in a Lanvin dress in the Barneys NYC window this holiday season.

http://www.change.org/petitions/bar...1899&utm_medium=email&utm_source=action_alert

Thanks for sharing that. It bugs me that they tramped up a character that they also use to teach preschoolers.

Just signed too. Altering a character that influences children into such a distorted, stretched, anorexic form is unconscionable.

I don't have a problem with the ads. I highly doubt anyone is going to become anorexic because of Minnie Mouse. She is a cartoon character, and it is an artistic campaign. Nothing about it implies reality. I think they are a bit creepy looking, personally. :rotfl: DD has the same opinion. When she saw the photos, she said "That's weird.", and went about her business. I think parents are making a bigger deal over it than the actual kids.

Now, what I DO have an issue with is all of the "nerd" merchandise. It infuriates DD, and it is everywhere. With all of the kids that wear glasses these days and the issues with bullying, I think all of the nerd merchandise is in poor taste. I think that is a bigger issue than one store's window display, IMHO.

I don't have a problem with the ads. I highly doubt anyone is going to become anorexic because of Minnie Mouse. She is a cartoon character, and it is an artistic campaign. Nothing about it implies reality. I think they are a bit creepy looking, personally. :rotfl: DD has the same opinion. When she saw the photos, she said "That's weird.", and went about her business. I think parents are making a bigger deal over it than the actual kids.

I have to say, my knee jerk reaction to the picture was to be up in arms, but I think you're right - kids will most likely either think its A: weird or B: it won't even register as a blip on their radar. It's not an add targeted at kids, is it?

Now, what I DO have an issue with is all of the "nerd" merchandise. It infuriates DD, and it is everywhere. With all of the kids that wear glasses these days and the issues with bullying, I think all of the nerd merchandise is in poor taste. I think that is a bigger issue than one store's window display, IMHO.

Really? My ODS wears glasses and he loves the nerd merchandise! Of course, he is a self proclaimed nerd and geek and has never encountered bullying, so that probably colors his view.

Really? My ODS wears glasses and he loves the nerd merchandise! Of course, he is a self proclaimed nerd and geek and has never encountered bullying, so that probably colors his view.

DD gets straight As, but has never claimed herself to be a nerd. :rotfl: It could be a boy/girl thing. :goodvibes I just know that whenever we come across a nerd shirt she gets all huffy and puffy about it. I swear...she is 9 going on 15. I am not looking forward to her teenage years! :rotfl:

DD gets straight As, but has never claimed herself to be a nerd. :rotfl: It could be a boy/girl thing. :goodvibes I just know that whenever we come across a nerd shirt she gets all huffy and puffy about it. I swear...she is 9 going on 15. I am not looking forward to her teenage years! :rotfl:

I hear ya - my daughter is 6 going on 15. Oy!

My son is a total computer geek and so are all of his friends, so I'm sure that has a *lot* to do with how he perceives the nerd merch.

I can't imagine Disney Okaying this. I thought their characters were copyright protected. : (

This is approved by Disney, they even worked closely with Disney on the project.

I found this in a HuffingtonPost article about the petition:

"Barneys sent over a statement from Disney that explains why the characters were slimmed down: "The elongated poses of Disney characters, including Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy and Cruella de Vil, are dramatically stylized. They’re creative interpretations from a fashion lens, and only appear for a few seconds in this video... Although Minnie is in her classic form for most of the piece, she does go through a dream portal at one point where she takes on this stylized fashion model form for just a few seconds. In the end, we see her happily back to her classic form still wearing her designer dress, designed by Alber Elbaz for Lanvin.

"One of our more difficult challenges was bringing the two separate worlds of Disney and couture fashion together in a believable manner. Our solution was to have the characters pass through a magical portal as they step out onto the runway."
"

This is approved by Disney, they even worked closely with Disney on the project.

I found this in a HuffingtonPost article about the petition:

"Barneys sent over a statement from Disney that explains why the characters were slimmed down: "The elongated poses of Disney characters, including Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy and Cruella de Vil, are dramatically stylized. They’re creative interpretations from a fashion lens, and only appear for a few seconds in this video... Although Minnie is in her classic form for most of the piece, she does go through a dream portal at one point where she takes on this stylized fashion model form for just a few seconds. In the end, we see her happily back to her classic form still wearing her designer dress, designed by Alber Elbaz for Lanvin.

"One of our more difficult challenges was bringing the two separate worlds of Disney and couture fashion together in a believable manner. Our solution was to have the characters pass through a magical portal as they step out onto the runway."
"

I actually think it would be better if they just stuck with "it's an artistic interpretation" line and left it at that...adding the part about Minnie dreaming that she was a crazy looking fashion model is just weird and makes it even more focused on the "all women fantasize that they look like this..." mindset.

Signed Thank you for posting, just ridiculous...I am OK with altering images, I know some are upset over the newer princess looks and that isnt all that different but this is a very unhealthy body they have chosen to put Minnies head on ,just an absurd campaign

ugh! She looks like a villain in that new picture! I certainly hope it's something just done for that shoot and not a wave of the future. She's a MOUSE for goodness sake!

YES!!!! thank you. im sick of this nerd merchandise. and people really shouldnt take this barneys fashion line so seriously. the look of disney characters has been changed before. no teen is gonna go anorexic from looking at minnie and daisy -_-

YES!!!! thank you. im sick of this nerd merchandise. and people really shouldnt take this barneys fashion line so seriously. the look of disney characters has been changed before. no teen is gonna go anorexic from looking at minnie and daisy -_-

I agree that with many things in life people take things too seriously. However, I don't think the issue here is really just with changing Minnie and Daisy for this Barney ad but the constant push from every angle that beauty be defined a certain way. From Kate Winslet standing up and saying she was shocked that a magazine air brushed her legs to make them smaller than reality to models literally starving themselves to death. This is just another example where Minnie's body is morphed into what a fashion model should look like...just one more example to add to the many that make people frustrated.

On the one hand we have the push, push, push for skinny is beautiful and on the other hand we hae the largest number of obese Americans in history! Haha! Can't we just meet in the middle??

I am sitting here in an NYC airport and think that the line is cute...but its not real. None of these characters are real, so they can be anything, a fashion icon or living in their country houses with "Minnie Moos" (ya know, the cows with mickey heads on them). To me, its like Barbie being a mom, fashion model, dentist, astronaut, rock star. As a child of the 80s I never thought I should actually BE all the things Barbie was, including how buxom and thin she was. My goodness, I thought the campaign was cute. I mean, obviously, Goofy is no Williamsburg hipster, right:) Its fantasy, enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter