Skin Cancers? anyone

kiki02

DIS Veteran
on who had spots removed and can comment on aftercare?

do you wear spf clothing? where to buy?

how much sunscreen? which ones are best?

thank you! bad news from derm today :(:-):sick:

I had a small basal cell carcinoma removed from my forehead. Went to a plastic surgeon to minimize scar. I go to the dermatologist yearly. I use the coppertone spray in the blue can, 50. Lands end have some great extremely lightweight/quick drying long sleeve cover ups. I also wear a visor whenever I walk/exercise. Basal cell never spreads. It does make you slightly at risk for melanoma, so you just have to watch. My dermatologist did pictures, of which she can look at if there is a mole in question. Last time I was there, she said my risk of melanoma was small, but told me to be sure I come yearly for a check and do self exam.

I've had a few of the Basal Cell types removed. I don't wear specifc SPF clothing, but I stay covered up and out of the sun as much as possible. I use a zinc oxide sunscreen because I am allergic to others, and my hubby and I check each other over every few months. I was only in my twenties when I had the first spot, I had several burns as a kid and one really epic one, plus all the other pale skin risk factors. I can't do anything about the damage done when I was little, so I just try to be really aware of changes to my skin and keep my kids covered up as well.
I do have an spf gardening hat that I love nice big brim keeps the sun off my face. I use it for hiking, yard work and anything outdoors. At the pool in the summer I alway have a cover up on or sit in the shade. I swim with the kids, so I should probably get a spf swim top for my shoulders and chest, but I haven't found any flattering, so I just minimize my exposure as much as possible and sunblock!
Sorry for your news! I hope it is the less serious basal cell type- oh and it has been 8 years since I have had anything removed, so it isn't constant.

I pointed out a spot on my left cheek to my family doctor. She thought it looked suspicious and referred me to a dermatologist. He didn't think it was suspicious and prescribed a cream for it that I was to apply daily. After a year the spot had not changed. He insisted that I keep using the cream and that it was in no way any type of skin cancer.

I went back to my family doctor and had her biopsy it. Turns out it was actually squamous cell carcinoma, the second most common kind of skin cancer. I researched and found a new dermatologist.

At my first appointment I showed her the cream she said it was acne cream. I had been applying acne cream to skin cancer at that point for over a year. :mad:

But I still consider myself very lucky. I had MOHS surgery for it and my family doctor had removed all the cancerous cells with the biopsy. The dermatologist took off two layers just to be safe. I only needed two stitches.

I don't wear SPF clothing but my dermatologist strongly encourages it. She had a clothing catalog for me to take home. I don't remember the name of the clothing line but maybe your dermatologist would have a suggestion.

For aftercare she had me get a product called Sil-K. It's for scars and had to be special ordered at CVS. It was about $20.00. I also had to gently massage the site twice a day to prevent scar tissue from building up. That was only after the stitches came out.

As for sunscreen, she said anything over 30SPF doesn't give you any better coverage than 30SPF itself so that is what I buy. We use a generic Coppertone. We just make sure that it offers both UVA and UVB protection. We apply it 20 minutes before sun exposure, liberally and then often if we're outside. ("We" being my kids and myself.)

Here's link for The Skin Cancer Foundation:
http://www.skincancer.org/
There's lot of useful information there.

Good luck to you! :hug:

I was diagnosed with melanoma in 1999 Had recurrence in 2005 to lymph nodes My aftercare is Oncologist bloodwork CT scans every three months for the first three years did chemo crap The fourth year I went to the oncologist every six months and had scans. After five years your appointments go to once a year. I now use tons of sunscreen and reapply every hour. I wear hats but don't use the uv clothing. Hope this helps

I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2011 at age 29. I've tried a lot of different sunscreens and really love the Elta MD brand. They have a tinted facial moisturizer which is great. I also use Land's End rashguards at the pool of beach, one style they have zips instead of having to pull on/off which is nice. Followup for me was every 3 months the first year, now every six months. It was adjustment but now I never leave the house without my sunscreen and hat. Good luck with everything!

For those of you who have had melanoma, did you first have basal cell? Did you know something was wrong? I had a basal cell on my neck about 5 years ago. Go for yearly scan. Some pre-cancerous ones removed since. Had 5 spots biopsied on Friday and am more nervous this time around for some reason. Should have results soon. Like a PP, this is all from sun damage years ago. I sunblock like crazy. If hanging by pool with friends, I use towels to cover as much of me as possible. OP - best of luck to you.

OP, very recently found myself in the same boat. Quite a few basil cell spots on my arm and back. 10+. Surgery to remove was an option, but healing all those random spots less than ideal. I opted for an at home medicine for now. It's called Zyclara- imiquimod cream. Around 100 dollars after much distress as the original price was 700, but with dr call to ins and a manufacture coupon...

I put it on 1 spot, M - F for 6 weeks, taking weekends off. It encourages your immune system to get rid of cancerous cells. It only works on cancerous spots, on healthy skin, no change. The spot on the back of my arm, which was red is now a nasty, crust mess, which it's supposed to. But, I just finished week 6 and am thinking I have a few more to go. I go back to derm in May to reevaluate this course of action. The only side affect I've had it's some fatigue and very itchy. Only supposed to work on one site at a time to avoid nausea and fatigue.

I have precancerous spots on my face, which I'm using Solarize gel on for 90 days straight to have them disappear. That WAS $600 after coupon, but it's a big tube and should last a good bit. I'm putting it on a few spots that are going away.

This is most likely from tanning beds. I'm fair skinned. Most likely melanomas in my future.

this one is Squamous. Very worried and nervous

thanks for all the posts. it's in a bad spot too, uupper chest area, always exposed and not the best place (i'm told) to have it.

I had a basal cell carcinoma removed 2 years ago from my nose. I am more careful now to buy foundation with SPF in it, and I am more careful at the beach to stay under an umbrella in addition to wearing sunscreen.

My dermatologist said that damage showing up now is most likely from childhood, so even though I was encouraged to take precautions, it is very likely I will have more show up:sad1:

Part of my "problem" is that I have very pale skin/blue eyes. I was told my Irish background predisposes me to skin cancer more easily than someone say of Italian descent. My sister has a total different type of skin and she used to lay on aluminum foil and use Crisco to tan and she has had no problems. I always burned and avoided the sun as much as possible and I am the one who had had problems.

I have had several spots taken off that were "severely dysplastic" or almost cancer and had to be further excised. The scariest thing for me was, and I should mention I have MANY MANY moles/spots, but anyway, a few years ago I had matching little dark dots, one on each forearm. Both were removed. One was completely normal and the other was "almost melanoma" they said. It really made me realize that this wasn't something I could just do on my own by watching, that followup with the dermatologist is a must.

Another realization...we moved from Florida to Virginia in September. I can't remember every being this pale before! I was never a sun person, we would swim in the evenings, so the sun I was getting was from everyday trips to the store, throwing the frisbee for the dogs, cleaning out the pool etc. I really didn't think I was getting that much sun!

I've also had my share of BCC's removed and also had melanoma in situ (top layer, stage 0) about 3 years ago. Mine don't feel typical from what I see in pictures or from what my dermatologist even describes to me. My melanoma on my left arm was a red patch. It didn't itch or cause too much alarm but I had it for years (scary I know! :scared1:) but I noticed it was getting bigger and the cream I was putting on it was doing nothing. It was slightly patchy or dry, but again didn't bother me. My derm said it was Excema. I requested that she test it to be sure and she was completely dumbfounded and shocked it was melanoma. They took all kinds of pictures and apparently it's a rare type in that they don't see it a lot and she has used me as an example in her conferences she attends so it's nice to know my pictures might be helping others. I had a huge chunk cut out and unfortunately they didn't get it all, so I had to go back and this time had to have a skin graft. My arms are pretty small and it's above my wrist and there simply wasn't enough room left to stitch my arm back together. The skin graft was taken from my thigh and yes it was painful but I healed nicely and so very grateful I'm fine.

I go every 6 months (don't see that changing and I'm okay with that) and have had at least 5 BCC's removed. I've also had two on my nose removed and the most recent was just in October near my nose tip and again, small red patch (so tiny) that wasn't going anywhere) so it required the MOHS surgery. It took 5 attempts/layers to remove it all and I hadn't even had this spot a year. It took a skin graft/patch from outside my ear to close it and my surgeon is amazing and you can barely tell. I've had two MOHS surgeries on my nose now and this is all w/in the last 3-4 years. My MOHS surgeon told me I would have gotten these even if I lived in cave. He said it's genetics and also what you were exposed to years ago. Like many of you, I'm very fair skinned, freckles, green/blue eyes, reddish/blonde hair and our parents didn't protects us 100% growing up from the sun.

I always wear sunscreen on my face and arms and legs when they are exposed in the summer. I have a thin white SPF 50 jacket I always wear outside or while I'm driving. My husband got my windows and even windshield tinted in my car with UV special coating in my car (about $200 total). I try my best to avoid the sun and limit my time and always seek shade. I have cruised several times and just do it in the shade or limited hours in the direct sun.

My biggest advice for anyone and I've already read several comments from other posters, - listen to your gut!! I have found EVERY BCC and my Melanoma on my own. There was something about each spot I didn't like or noticed it was growing just a bit or that it wasn't going away. Each of mine have been red patches or a red spot. I have lots of freckles and several moles but they have always been "ok".

All the best to you - be diligent and don't put off anything that looks suspicious know others have been through the same thing! :hug:

Heather

Ps. As another poster, I use the Elta MD on my nose specifically (30 SPF) and usually an SPF 15 on my face during days I I'm not outside. When I cruise or go to WDW or I'm outside longer than usual (I work from home) I use an SPF 30 for my face. I tend to break out easily so I have to weigh that. I use the Keys Soap SPF 30 on my arm to cover my skin graft from my melanoma surgery and I recommend reviewing sunscreens and the "safest/healthiest" ones on the EWG.ORG website. Both of mine come highly recommended with very few chemicals, if any and are considered safe and more effective. We use the Coppertone Water Babies for our bodies because, again it's considered safe, and protects well due to the higher zinc oxide %.

I am so lucky to have found YOU all on this board.

I can't seem to find anyone that I know who has squamous. Isn't that odd. I'm writing down all the notes re; spf shirts and sunscreens. Today I bought loreal 50 with both uvb and uva. not sure if it's recommended
but can return it if it's not good.

you guys are great. Yes, i'm freaking out, I feel like i won't be good at being careful, the Florida sun is nuts and florida blue doesn't cover the dermatologist visits. How nice of them. Been paying for insurance for sooo many years , never a claim. Never and now... ugh.

My dad passed away from Melanoma in 2009 at 57. I have since had 25+ moles removed and 9 further excised as they were moderately to severely abnormal and required the margins to be cleared. I go to the derm every three months for my mole checks.

I recommend SPF clothing from Coolibar, Solumbra, Lands End or LL Bean. Hats are important, too. Skin cancer is most prevelent on female's legs and male's head/neck/arms. Keep em covered! I was told by my derm to use cream based sunscreen instead of the spray. Spray not only provides spotty coverage, it is also dangerous when particles are inhaled.

Hope this helps.

I am NOW going to make an appt. to see the derm doctor for this brown patch that has been on my cheek for quite some time. :scared1: I just thought it was one of those AGE RELATED brown spots. This thread surely made me want to get it checked.

Don't be nervous. Squamous and basal cell, no big deal with either one. They will take it off so you won't have to worry about it. Just keep sunscreen on and try to keep it covered if you can with clothing so the sun don't get to it. Now melanoma is what you have to be scared of. That is nothing to mess around with.

Don't be nervous. Squamous and basal cell, no big deal with either one. They will take it off so you won't have to worry about it. Just keep sunscreen on and try to keep it covered if you can with clothing so the sun don't get to it. Now melanoma is what you have to be scared of. That is nothing to mess around with.

You are right tnmt, i know. Just keep thinking squam and bas can easily turn into other cancers and / or melanoma.

I use so much sunscreen I could open a store. My skin is so sensitive. On line now looking for spf shirts. Thanks. do you have skinc this as well?

You are right tnmt, i know. Just keep thinking squam and bas can easily turn into other cancers and / or melanoma.

I use so much sunscreen I could open a store. My skin is so sensitive. On line now looking for spf shirts. Thanks. do you have skinc this as well?

Just got off phone with Lands End cust service. They sayd they do not have clothing with spf. I thought they did!

I had an a-typical mole, and father passed at 41 from melanoma.. I wear 50 -60 SPF sun screen nearly every day I go out for more than 5 mins, and always a hat, and long sleeves when possible.

:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter