Sizzix, Wishblade, Cricut, Xyron??

Sabrina90744

DIS Veteran
:confused3 When I first started scrapping a couple of months ago I didnt really buy anything special except paper trimmer, paper, adhesive. You get the picture, I didnt want to spend lots of $$, didn't see the need as this was just for the Disney pictures. I didn't know how much fun (and addictive) this could be. Anyhow, my question, I would like something to make fonts and tags. What do you all recommend? I prefer something mid-price range, easy to use. I would especially love something I dont have to keep buying attachments and converters for.

I have a Cricut but I cant open it till mothers day so I can let you know after that. I have a quickutz just because I won the handle and a couple of die cuts at a crop last year. I have an alphabet. I like it.

I would be lost without my zyron machine. I use it for my stickers but have also used it to laminate and make book marks when my aunt passed away. I took rose petals from roses that were in a spray, and put them in the bookmark before I laminated them.

I have both sizziz and QK, love them both, but for the $$$ I would get the Wishblade, you can use any fonts and cut anything that you can trace. It is $$$ but worth it if you look at the price of dies/fonts.

I bought the Xyron PCS and hated it. Didn't work right, wouldn't cut all the way thru, wasn't true to size, etc. I sent it back.

One of my co-workers for the Cricut yesterday at mike's and it looks pretty cool, and if you are going to be able to use coupons on the machine/and or shape/font sets its not a bad deal. It seems to cut well and I love the variety of sizes you can do.

I've used the Cricut a few times now, and I'm hooked. :teeth: According to the manager at Mike's, you can use a coupon as long as it isn't on sale. :thumbsup2

I went in and made the header for my DS14 science fair project. I started at 4" and had to reduce to 3" because it was too large. The machine is very user friendly, and cut well. The only problem is the sticky board loses it's stick and needs to be replaced after about 40 uses. Every time you take the paper off, it loses some sticky.

So, I told DH that I have a good gift for him to buy me for my birthday. And then he can give me some fonts for Christmas...I'll have to leave coupons out and my girlfriends phone number...he would be hopelessly lost at Mike's in the scrapbook department... :lmao:

Sabrina,

I bought the Wishblade about 3 weeks ago and love it. You can use any TTF (true type font) that you have on your computer, plus dingbats and other traced files in gsd format. I jumped right in and started cutting titles the day I got it.

I have had the Sizzix for years and accumulated a ton of dies, which probably in total surpass the $400 for the Wishblade. I will be selling a lot of these dies off over the next few months.

The Cricut is nice but you will have to buy the cartridges for fonts and shapes so the initial cost will just be the beginning. Even with 40% coupon the cost is high when you consider the cartridges would be $54 each. So for what I paid for the Wishblade I could get the Cricut machine and 5 cartridges. Just something to think about when making your selection.

Oh and the Wishblade can be portable if you have a laptop. I have a friend that takes her's to crops, workshops, etc with her laptop. The Wishblade is actually a little smaller (height wise) and lighter than the Cricut.

I think the Wishblade sounds good for me. I love that you are able to use any font. I will be saving for that one.

scraphappy92 said:
Sabrina,

I bought the Wishblade about 3 weeks ago and love it. You can use any TTF (true type font) that you have on your computer, plus dingbats and other traced files in gsd format.

Scraphappy...I wanted to ask you about your coment on the wishblade and it's ablitly to cut ANY ttf. I've been looking for quite some time and now I'm trying to decide between the wishblade and the Circut...I agree with the the initial cost of the Circut being lower...but overall after you add in all the font cartrages for the Circut...it would surpass the cost of the wishblade...anyways I've read alot about a new software verson for the wishblade stopping the ablity to cut TTF? Is your wishblade the 1.5 or newer verson or is it the orginal 1.2 verson? :teeth:

Scrapperjill,
I am also getting very interested in the Wishblade & I went to the Xyron site & copied this for us. It appears that we can use the fonts already in our computer-----that is very important to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to invest in something so expensive that I can't use the way I thought I could. :)

HighlightsFonts & ShapesAccessoriesCompare
Features & Benefits
• Size letters and shapes to fit your layout - from 1/2 inch to 8 inches.
• Cut them from cardstocks, printed paper, vellum, and other media.
• Cut the fonts in your Windows Font file.
• Create your own images to cut using photos, clipart, or personal drawings.
• Print from your printer then cut with the Wishblade
• Maximum paper size: 8 1/2 x 39 inches
• Minimum paper size: 3 x 3 inches

Helpful PDFs

» Wishblade Personal Media Cutter Manual

That's what I read also...BUT I've also read so much about Xyron limiting the ablity to do that....But that was all alot of talk last fall...anyhow I'm just wanting to know if it's diffrent now...and if you CAN use your fonts on your pc. That's really the deal breaker for me.

scrapperjill said:
I'm just wanting to know if it's diffrent now...and if you CAN use your fonts on your pc. That's really the deal breaker for me.

Me too. If I can't cut any TT font on my computer then it's probably not worth it to me.

Ok, so I guess we're waiting on a reply from scraphappy 92 about the version she has. :confused3 Hope she reads this soon! :thumbsup2

Jill,

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your question. We were on vacation last week and just got back late last night. To answer your question, I am able to use any TTF (true type font) on my computer with the wishblade. Since most of my fonts are TTF the possibilities are limitless! I just got mine in late February 2006.

The way I am hearing it from other Wishblade owners is the original WB wouldn't let you cut TTF, but then someone figured out how to bypass it and use TTFs without a special bridge. WB then put some sort of fix into the software that made it so you could only use their disks, until they were able to upgrade the software to use TTFs. WB said something about the possibility of damage to the machine if you did it the roundabout way. So then they issued an upgrade to the software (free) for existing owners so that you could use TTFs. All new machines are with the upgraded software (like mine) and you can cut away once installing the equipment!

I am very pleased with my WB and hope to find more time to play with it this summer. Hope I answered your question!

:teeth: You answered it for me also...Thanks. I hope you had a wonderful vacation...I know it's about time for one around here.

Has anyone had any experience with CraftRobo??? I've heard it's the SAME as the wishblade..but at a lower cost. Actually what I was told was the company that makes the Robo ....sells them to WB where they then put their logo on the machine and mark the $ up some (about $50). So...anyone out there know anything about them? :smooth:

scrapperjill said:
Has anyone had any experience with CraftRobo??? I've heard it's the SAME as the wishblade..but at a lower cost. Actually what I was told was the company that makes the Robo ....sells them to WB where they then put their logo on the machine and mark the $ up some (about $50). So...anyone out there know anything about them? :smooth:

They sure look identical when you look at the pictures from their web sites.

I want to buy the Wishblade,--------but it's a lot of $$--------has anyone else made a decision lately to order one? If I do, I hope I will use it a LOT, since to me it's a sizeable investment. Help me decide? :confused3 Thanks, anyone?

I am a reprsentative for I Remember When (IRW) and we sell the Wishblade, the Xyron Personal Cutting System (XPCS) and a ton of other Xyron products. If anyone is interested in a price quote or have questions about any of the die cutting machines or IRW products, PM me and I will give you all the details.

I have a question for the Wishblabe owners... Can you cut your words out in one piece or just individual letters? The Cricut cuts individual letters unless a saying is programed on the cartridge. I want to be able to cut my titles out by word, not letter.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter