• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Size and rides?

halash

Earning My Ears
Are there any rides that someone who wears a size 22 will have difficulty riding. Don't want to stand in line with my 7yo dd and then be embarrassed because cant ride the ride

Disney is very size friendly. Some rides are more comfortable than others, depending on where you carry the weight. For example, if you carry more of the weight in your hips then the Astro Orbiter can be a snug fit getting in and out, but if you carry your weight in your stomach area, it's not as much of a concern. Some of the theater show seats can be a little snug also if you're heavier in the hips. If you carry weight in your stomach, watch out for lap bars if you are sharing a seat with your child - BTMRR for example. If the lap bar stops on you, but doesn't go down far enough to secure your daughter, you will want to be aware.

We have several larger people in our friends and family circle, and so far, there haven't been any issues with someone not fitting on a ride at all. Universal, however, is a totally different story . . . . .

you should be fine. there are some ride size descriptions and photos on allears.net. if you click on walt Disney world, then theme parks, then scroll down and on the left side you will see "wdw at large".

The only ride that may be a huge issue is Sum of all Thrills in Innoventions.

I wear somewhere between an 18w and 22w depending on the pants, and I have had no issues whatsoever this trip. I'm skipping SOAT as it was a snug fit 15 pounds ago and I carry it all in my hips.

I'm a 26-28, and have no problems on any rides in any of the Disney parks. There are a few older turnstiles that get a little dicey (Carousel of Progress comes to mind), and some of the theater seats are a little snug, but truly, it's really nice to be in a place that's very size-friendly.

I had the exact same fears, but had no issues. The only issue you might run into is any of the little kids rides and your daughter in the seat with you. If she is small and/or doesn't mind being cuddled up close to you, you should be fine.

like a PP said, sum of all thrills is one where I didn't even attempt because I had heard bad things. But literally, everything else was fine. I am 5'6" 270, but very well proportioned (I typically wear a 20-24)

Don't worry and have fun!

Another don't worry :) I've seen plenty of larger sized guests at WDW, height or weight wise, and most rides are doable.

Im a size 22 and just came back from Disney this past Saturday and had absolutly no problems on any rides.. go and enjoy!!

I agree with everyone else about not worrying! My one tip would be to check out the restraint before you board. Some of the rides have seatbelts & those can be hard to adjust once you're sitting down (& sometimes on top of part of the belt). I usually reach down & loosen them as I climb in. It's much easier to tighten it back up than loosen it once you're in there. I also feel like that doesn't attract as much attention as fighting with it once you're seated, especially if the attendant is standing over you. :)

Universal, however, is a totally different story . . . . .

To be sure Universal is a totally different story. The roller coasters do have some sample seats outside for you to try first to see if you will fit before waiting in line to be rejected. I was barely able to fit in the fat seat last time we went. Unfortunately the fat seats are not together so if you are large and your riding partner is also large, you won't get to sit together. I fit, but still needed assistance getting secured in the ride so it was just awesome having the little teenager sneer at me while he/she helped me with the latch. I'm working hard to get small enough to fit in the regular size seats by the time we get there in September.

WDW on the other hand was easy peasy -- someone did mention about adjusting seat belts before you get in some of the rides and that is great advice. I did not travel with a small child however so I don't know how that will effect your experience in the seats. -- In any event, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself in the most magical place on earth!

Are there any rides that someone who wears a size 22 will have difficulty riding. Don't want to stand in line with my 7yo dd and then be embarrassed because cant ride the ride

I agree with everyone else that you should be fine riding pretty much anything in Disney. My husband has been having the same concerns about our trip next year. He's 6'4" and a pretty big guy. He's had trouble fitting into some normal size roller coaster seats. He's really looking forward to Disney because of the way their ride seats are designed.

I'm a size 24 as well and don't have any problems with any of the rides. Just go ahead and pull out the seatbelts before you sit down and you'll be fine. I LOVE that Disney is so accommodating to various sizes of people. Not everyone is the same size. Like other posters have said, Universal on the other hand....be warned.

stargazertechie said:
The only ride that may be a huge issue is Sum of all Thrills in Innoventions.

I wear somewhere between an 18w and 22w depending on the pants, and I have had no issues whatsoever this trip. I'm skipping SOAT as it was a snug fit 15 pounds ago and I carry it all in my hips.

Agreed...Disney is pretty good about accomodating all shapes and sizes. I am short and pooh sized with larger hips and I was able to do SOAT but it was quite snug....no problems on anything else.

I am not pooh sized, but we recently traveled with our friend who is about 450 lbs and there wasn't anything he did not fit on. He got in and out of Space Mountain quicker than some of us smaller folk!

My mom and I yoyo between a 16 and a 20 and even at both of our largest we were able to share a Dumbo. We've never had any issues riding together on anything at WDW :thumbsup2

This, for sure. This is the ONLY ride in the entire World that either DH or I (also a 22) have ever had ANY problems with.

I'm 5'6", a size 20, and carry most of my weight in my hips, thighs, and stomach. The Sum of All Thrills is the only ride at WDW that gives me problems. I have ridden it though. The Forbidden Journey ride over at Universal is the one that gives most larger people fits. As long as I request one of the bigger end seats I have plenty of room on it and can even get all the clicks they require of the harness without a problem. The Sum of All Thrills at WDW seems alot smaller than the end seats on FJ.

I just need to poke fun at myself and a couple of other posters for some unintentional(?) humor.

The only ride that may be a HUGE issue

... The ride that gives most larger people FITS...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter