• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Size 28 in Disneyland

Cadiesmommy

Earning My Ears
Hi, this is my first post so I hope I get this right. I'm a plus size mommy, I weigh 300 and wear a size 28 pant. I carry most of my weight in my tummy and hips. In less than 4 weeks my husband and I are taking our daughter to Disneyland for the first time. She is 4 and I want to be excited but the fear of not fitting on rides is keeping me from being excited. I always have to ask for a seat belt extender on airplanes so that makes me even more worried that I won't fit on rides. Can others who have been to disneyland recently share some tips, suggestions or rides I should just avoid. I don't want to be stuck with the stroller all the time but I couldn't handle the embarrassment of being asked to leave! Thanks in advance :)

Been there...done that. Don't worry too much. I am about the same size. the seat belts are plenty long but some of the rides are tight. If you do a search for "pooh size" you will find lots of specific info on each ride.

Was going to post the exact same thing PP just posted but my Internet is sloooooow tonight. You'll be surprised how accommodating the belts are and I hope you have a magical time!

We recently went to WDW and have been to DLR many many times. I'm a similar size and enjoy all types of rides. I have never had an issue with any Disney ride. Sadly, I can not say the same for six flags. Eek

Try a search for "pooh-size". I'm on my phone or I would do it myself :) at any rate, you'll find many posts on this very subject. The overall consensus is that it may be a little tight, but you should be able to ride most everything! The most helpful advice I have heard is to pull the seatbelts out *before* you sit down, and make sure to get them under your "apron" area when possible. Plenty of rides have no seatbelts, so no worries with those.

I just found out about this while reading this forum recently. Normally if you go on the Finding Nemo submarine ride, you have to descend down a narrow spiral staircase and then sit in a tight space very close to the people next to you. But to avoid this, can ask for the alternate experience instead of boarding the actual sub. You go into the exit area and ask a CM for the alternate experience. It is a darkened room with chairs and you can view the same ride on a screen.

I would avoid the Storybook Land Canal Boats. The boat seems unsturdy - at the end they ask everyone to stand at the same time to avoid it tipping.

On the rides with seatbelt style restraints, one secret is pull the belt out prior to sitting down.

You shouldn't have a problem with most of the rides. One ride I have problems with is Goofy's Sky School. Its not so much the hips as it simply my knees.

I've never had a problem with Nemo or Storybook boats. I LOVE Storybook. At the end, they do ask everyone to stand at the same time. If you have difficulty standing, have your husband sit across from you and assist you. I have a bad knee and my son or daughter usually offers their hands to help me get up a little faster. Don't worry too much about it, the DIsneyland CMs are very good about helping.

At Nemo, sitting beside your daughter will give you space, Just sit closer to her side. Or ask the CM Grouper to place you on the end.

My sister-in-law is even bigger than you, and she has never had any trouble. Her tips are to pull the seatbelt out before you sit down (as several other people have said).

The other thing that she has had some trouble with is when she rides with my DD4 on something that has a lap bar that covers both of them. It can be difficult to make it tight enough for the child while leaving it comfortable for you. So watch out for anything like that (I can't think of any rides like this off the top of my head, but there may be a couple.) Maybe someone else will chime in with an example.

You are going to have a great time!

I'm pooh sized as well, the only ride I had any trouble with was the Matterhorn. The seat belt wasn't very long and I had trouble getting it locked in before they were trying to get it started. Everything else was good though.

You'll be fine!! Storybook canal is awesome so please don't miss it. :) you'll be fine on that. You will be fine on everything actually. :)

I was that size (but much heavier) in Disneyland in the past. I have been on everything in both parks except for Mickey's swings. I didn't even try because when it opened there was a rider weight capacity.
I was able to ride Goofy's Sky School, though at the time it was Mulholland Madness. I was comfortable on it. I rode California Screamin, the bar came down over my chest and it clicked many times. Matterhorn is only a seatbelt. (I didn't need a seatbelt extender).
If you ride Dumbo or Astro Orbitor, ride alone. I squished into a Dumbo with my then BF, and poor Dumbo was sweating at the end of the ride.

I had a little trouble with turnstiles in Fantasyland, Jungle Cruise, and the train stations. I usually turned sideways and squeezed through like a rat.

If you go on Splash Mountain, ask to sit in the back of the log or else you'll get drenched.

Tower of Terror will be fine, it's just a chair with a seatbelt. Heimlich's Chew Chew is a very tight squeeze getting in and out of those tiny doors.

The only ride I can think of where you pull down a bar over the whole bench is Thunder Mountain and it's closed. (I'm not including dark rides here.)

I only had probs with Space Mountain, but I think thats because I'm 5'11 as well.

I love the seat belt method - after I learnt that on these boards a few years back I do it everywhere, makes a big difference on planes too!

I rode the swings at DCA the first time I went, and I remember the seat being uncomfortable, and that was 12 years (and about 50 pounds) ago. I find Goofys' sky school to be a little tight as well, but I've still been able to ride. I also rode on astro orbiter with my son at either DL or DLP, I can't remember which, but I had a heck of a time with that, so I've since avoided it (plus it's a little lame, especially now that DS is a seasoned CA Screamin' rider :rotfl2:)

Like PPs, sometimes the turnstiles are uncomfortable as well, but I do the twist turn in; last trip we didn't get to go on Matterhorn but the last time I rode was OK.

We also went to Legoland CA in May, and I avoided a lot of rides...I tried to ride on the techno tech coaster, and the harness didn't click as many clicks as it needed, so I just got off - no scene or anything, I was just a little bummed I didn't get to ride it. My DS and DH loved it though.

Someone got ahead of me with Goofy's Sky School,, Im 5.10 and 180lbs, and I found it to be very very uncomfortable.. I had trouble getting both in and out and had no where to put my knees.. I avoid it like the plague now..

You will be fine! I had a friend who recently went and she is bigger than you and didn't have trouble. Although I do agree with Goofy's Sky School - just not very comfortable.

I also highly recommend the "pull out the seat belt before you sit down" comments. For example on Indy, I get to my seat, pull the seat belt out while standing, check to see where the latch is and as I am sitting down I latch my seat belt. Saves me some frantic moments of trying to latch the seat belt.

And don't worry about Storyland. If necessary, stand by the railing for a few minutes and watch them load and unload. You will get the idea of what you are getting into.

Oh...and the turnstiles...that might be an issue but I just turn sideways and squeeze through!! The one that I find the tightest is on Peter Pan.

I am a little smaller than you about 250 when we went at Christmas (working on being 150 for our trip next year :) ) but alot of the rides it was me and my two kids all on one they were 4 and 5 and had no problems

If you go to www.allears.net they have a photo gallery of all ride vehicles along with complete descriptions and also a pooh-size section where they talk about any issues you might encounter

I would avoid Silly Symphony Swings - I was a size 18 (5'8" and 235) at our last trip and that ride was very tight for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter