sitting while in line?

vegasbby

Earning My Ears
can you? or are there any places to sit while waiting in line for rides? i have plantar fasciitis and if i stand still for more than 10 minutes at a time i pay for it that evening and the next day. i can walk all day with short rests, but standing will kill me. i was thinking i could bring my walking stick chair and sit while in line, it folds up into a fanny pack size in seconds when i get close to the front of the line. or would it be easier to see the GM a each ride and see if there is a place i can sit and wait for the rest of my party to make it to the front. any help would be great. we are going 1st 2 weeks in August, so expect large lineups and long waits. there are going to be 16 people in my party.

I have not seen any places to sit in the regular line. Your fold up chair sounds great- or maybe sitting in a wheelchair while in line? Where did you buy that chair- I should get one- I will be getting over a broken foot.

I would bring the folding chair, it sounds like a great idea. Disney's accommodation for people who cannot stand in lines sn usually to use a wheelchair. So unless you want to spend you time in a wheelchair go with the folding chair.

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

As mentioned, the official Disney response to people with stamina or nobility issues is suggesting rental of a wheelchair or ECV.

Many of the lines move in very short spurts, and can be more than 30 minutes long. Most of the lines are set up in such a way that you cannot wait outside the line and enter when the rest of your party is near the front.

I would suggest you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Post #2 there gives a lot of mobility-related information.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

The WDW queues are really windy and snake back and forth - not very much standing still at all. The only places that seem to have a lot of standing and waiting are for the shows, so perhaps a cane seat would help out there.

Also, some of the movies shown at World Showcase are standing only - no seats - so you should check themaps for info on which shows to avoid if you can't stand for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.
ADisneyQueen here is where i bought it from fashionablecanes.com go to specialty/chair and seat canes. i bought the Supaseat Seat Stick, Adjustable.
i will bring it along and use it where i need and if need be i will have to rent a wheelchair.

The WDW queues are really windy and snake back and forth - not very much standing still at all. The only places that seem to have a lot of standing and waiting are for the shows, so perhaps a cane seat would help out there.

Also, some of the movies shown at World Showcase are standing only - no seats - so you should check themaps for info on which shows to avoid if you can't stand for more than a few minutes.
The movies at World Showcase which are standing only are in Canada and in China.
Here is a link to another thread about standing (in that thread, the original poster wanted to know if a Guest Assistance Card would allow them to sit in lines).

EDITED TO ADD: I found another thread where I actually listed all the attractions that involve a wait and no place to sit.

It's been a long time and things may well have changed, but when I was a CM (1998-1999) I did occasionally see GACs that said "alternate waiting area with seating" (it might have been "without standing") and at my particular attraction, I would lead people around the outside queue to sit on benches at the top (just before where the queue enters the building).

We had another bench just past the turnstiles for people who couldn't stand through the pre-show and weren't using a wheelchair, but you couldn't see the pre-show from there (probably to discourage people who didn't *need* to sit from sitting there).

It's been a long time and things may well have changed, but when I was a CM (1998-1999) I did occasionally see GACs that said "alternate waiting area with seating" (it might have been "without standing") and at my particular attraction, I would lead people around the outside queue to sit on benches at the top (just before where the queue enters the building).
You are correct, that things have changed a lot since 1999.
At that time, many lines were not "Mainstreamed' and people with disabilities were treated differently. Because many of the lines were too narrow to allow a wheelchair/ECV to go thru the lines, there were many attractions that had arrangements like you mention because there was no way to get a wheelchair thru the regular line.
With Mainstream Lines, the whole queue (usually to the boarding area) had wide lines that people using wheelchairs and ECVs are able to use all.

The Studio was built with mostly Mainstream Lines and AK was built with all Mainstream Lines. Attractions at MK and Epcot were Mainstreamed if possible as things were added or renovated.

You are correct, that things have changed a lot since 1999.
At that time, many lines were not "Mainstreamed' and people with disabilities were treated differently. Because many of the lines were too narrow to allow a wheelchair/ECV to go thru the lines, there were many attractions that had arrangements like you mention because there was no way to get a wheelchair thru the regular line.
With Mainstream Lines, the whole queue (usually to the boarding area) had wide lines that people using wheelchairs and ECVs are able to use all.

The Studio was built with mostly Mainstream Lines and AK was built with all Mainstream Lines. Attractions at MK and Epcot were Mainstreamed if possible as things were added or renovated.

I worked at an attraction that was mainstreamed (one of the first, it had been refurbed a couple years before). All wheelchairs and ECVs went through the regular queue which was 10' wide; however, there were also benches at the top of the queue both inside and outside the building for people to sit on if they could not stand in the queue, as well as for people who could not stand during the pre-show.

So my "things may have changed" was more about whether that was still a possible GAC accommodation, since it was in 1999.

Traveling with a party of 16, you would not be able to use a GAC card, since it's only allowed for 6 people.

If it's for something like peter pan, I would talk to the CM and see if you could enter through the fast pass line as your party merged into the 1 line. Some rides I would find it harder like pirates or haunted mansion (since you have go though the stretching room). But places like Small World (where they keep a few Attraction wheelchairs handy), you could ask if you could sit on the wheelchair side until the rest of your party got down to the loading area, then get in from the other side.
Of course try your best to use fast pass. There will be some standing in line after merging but it's usually quick.

I'd head into guest relations first. Maybe they could have an idea. Of course it's a toss up on whether you get the standard answer or some one that will try to go out of thier way to make your day.

So my "things may have changed" was more about whether that was still a possible GAC accommodation, since it was in 1999.
In 1999, there were still a lot of attractions that were still in the process of being Mainstreamed.
Once they had more Mainstreamed Lines, many attractions don't have a place to sit and WDW has really been pointing more people to using wheelchairs and ECVs. A few attractions do have seats, but most don't. So, if someone needs to sit, we recommend they bring their seat with them.
Cheshire Figment, who wrote earlier about the lack of seats, is a current WDW CM.

Thanks again everyone for the responses. Looks like my best bet is to use fastpasses when possible. and use my seat chair/stick.

One thing I forgot is that some places to sit went away as they added Fastpass lines. In some cases, they used space where benches or places where the line could be entered. And, using Fastpasses was considered an accommodation that was available to anyone who felt they needed a place to sit in line. The wait in the Fatpass line is generally 15 minutes or less. It was expected that anyone who felt they could not stand for more than 15 minutes would use the Fastpass system or use a wheelchair/ECV.

where can i find a collapsible walking stick that folds up into a fanny pack size? does the height adjust for someone under 5' ?

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.

ADisneyQueen here is where i bought it from fashionablecanes.com go to specialty/chair and seat canes. i bought the Supaseat Seat Stick, Adjustable.
i will bring it along and use it where i need and if need be i will have to rent a wheelchair.

The site for the collabsable seat cane is listed here in the quote above. It is also posted in one of the previous posts on this thread.

Hi ohmom,

i am 5'4 and the seat is a little tall for me but manageable, and that is at the shorted height.

:thanks: kinda a bummer about the height though -- it's for my DD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter