Sitting by the marsh, does HH have many mosquitos?

luckytso

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
DH was looking at the HH picture on DVC's website. He is very concerned if HH has many mosquitos. Mosquitos LOVE him, and we plan to go the third week of August next year.

We've never found mosquitos to be a problem at HH. The marsh is a tidal marsh and is not quiet water by any means. It rises and falls 6-10' with every tidal change. The marsh does not serve as a breeding area for mosquitos.

At times, there are biting insects around (we had none this week) and I would suggest bringing or buying repellant if you will be spending a lot of time outdoors in the evening.

Have a great trip to HH!

Doc, thanks for the quick response. We are really looking forward to this trip, it will be our first time going anywhere with my brother-in-law's family. Now the decision is to decide to fly or drive.

What about the weather? They are afraid it may be hurricane season, does it rain often around this time? The only negative comments I ever read came from people who spent a wet week there.

Thanks again.

HH's hurricane season is mid September -October. They have not had one in over 100 years.

You should be fine in late August, but you can expect late afternoon thunderstorms each day (just like at WDW at that time).

A whole week of rain in the summer is not a usual experience at HH.

Enjoy!

Doc,

Thanks again. One more question, do you know if they generally offer member discounts for the weekends around that time? We would like to stay for 6 nights (Sun check in -Sat check out), I need to get 2 1-br and would like to reserve with cash for Friday night. Thanks:D

We didn't have a problem with the skeeters, but one thing I wouldn't dare do is sit on the porch at night! My dh just stepped out there and he said he was bombarded.

Having spent a lot of time in HH when I was growing up, yep they have mosquitos. BIG ONES. Just depends on the year what you will get. I would be prepared.

As for Hurricane's past performance is not an indicator. I evacuated Andrew out of HH. It actually hit in Charleston, but that is only 100 miles up the coast. I would not let it stop me from going however, you do get lots of notice with Hurricanes unlike Tornados.

The Disney resort does spray for mosquitos, so that helps quite a bit. But, if you're one of those who is a human mosquito magnet, you'll want to have some Off! or something handy too. Also, even though it will be hot in August, bring some light weight slacks and a long-sleeved shirt, if you're planning to be outdoors at dawn or dusk, when the mosquitos and no-see-ums are most active.

As far as hurricanes, Doc is right, HH has not had a direct hit in a long LONG time. But, we've been there twice just after a hurricane or tropical storm as been close by. Branches were knocked down, and the resort required quite a bit of cleanup. The beach house pool was also closed for a day or two because of sand blowing into it. But, I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Just go and have a great time!!

OK, mosquitos... prepare to be repelled!!!!!

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in
Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great for Babies

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October . He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it.
Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitimin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas, the mosquitos like you, - something about the banana oil
as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub. However, since its base is petrolatum, which is on the known carcinogen list, you must consider whether you are more worried about Cancer or West Nile.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

Pass this on to anyone who likes sitting out in the evening or when they're having a cook out. So you don't like those pesky mosquitoes, especially now that they have the potential to carry the West Nile Virus? Here's a tip that was given at a recent gardening forum. Put some water in a white dinner plate and add a couple drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dish detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio, or other outdoor area. Not sure what attracts them, the lemon smell, the white plate color, or what, but
mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead shortly after drinking the Lemon Fresh
Joy/water mixture, and usually within about 10 feet of the plate. Check
this out---it works just super! May seem trivial, but it may help control mosquitoes around your home, especially in the South and elsewhere where the West Nile virus is reaching epidemic proportions in mosquitoes, birds, and humans.

Just a couple of mosquitoes remedies I've run across. Avon skin so soft also seems to a a winner.

Great Info! Bounce sheets??? Really - ? They aren't attracted to the fragrance? Heck, that would be something I could keep in my purse!

Thanks again for the great info! Natt

Capitain Midnight, thanks so much. You certainly have done your homework on mosquitos!!!!

Yes, we have been using Avon's SSS and it seems to be working. They have many variations now. We will bring lots of it just in case. DH is always the first one who gets attacked and can even be at hard to reach places. He is mosquito's favorite food for whatever reason:p

We are just back and found the killer mosquitoes not at HH but at the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge beaches! At HH we did OK. I have a low-DEET, family "Off" product and it seemed to be too weak. They seemed to be biting any area of skin that wasn't sprayed directly! One night we just gave up and went inside before the water pageant came by...

The weather at HH was not unlike Florida weather -- sunny and really hot with chance of thunderstorms every afternoon. Unless it's thundering the pool stays open. We had a nice swim in the rain on our second afternoon. The crafts area and ping pong tables are underneath part of a building and will be OK even in the rain. The main lobby has a den with a pool table and checkers.

Have fun!

Coleen, thanks.

That is another concern for DH - WL!!!

We will be there in late August and he is kind of concerned with the mosquitos there too. I remember in May of 2000 (around Mother's Day) when we were there, there were these bugs at Poly and on their boats too. I have not heard people complaining about them, but they were EVERYWHERE!!!

Thanks for the tips.

Originally posted by luckytso
Coleen, thanks.

That is another concern for DH - WL!!!

We will be there in late August and he is kind of concerned with the mosquitos there too. I remember in May of 2000 (around Mother's Day) when we were there, there were these bugs at Poly and on their boats too. I have not heard people complaining about them, but they were EVERYWHERE!!!

Thanks for the tips.

Those were probably "love bugs". We had them one time at Vero and made it a less-than-wonderful experience for us.

I don't think Hilton Head gets "love bugs" -- they tend to stick further south.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter