Sister Wives

I haven't been able to watch the "Look Back" or whatever its called because I normally watch on Discovery+ or Max and its not on either one. The TLC app has it, but you have to log in with a cable or satellite provider which I don't have. I wonder why its not on Discovery or Max.
I don't access it that way so haven't had to look for the episodes. But someone said to look under "extras" for the show.

the 'look back' episodes have been interesting to watch esp. the one 'look back: how it started' where they show some of the early episodes. if you have the ability to pause and rewind-take the time to pay attention to the expressions on some of the kid's faces during some of the scenes. during the initial viewing of these episodes/rewatching the scenes you get a vibe of how the kids are supposedly reacting to whatever is occuring BUT it's often very colored by how the youngest react (or over-react as little kids are prone to)-with cheers, squeels of joy...taking the time to look at the faces of several of the older kids paints a different picture. several react silently with facial expressions of frustration, upset and anger. at one point when the adults are talking about how the kids reacted to the announcement of robyn's first pregnancy it's spoken to how some of the teens were not supportive but if you go back even further to when kody announced robyn/her kids becoming part of the family you can see some sullen reactions on older kid's faces.

the scenes that angered me back when they aired and even more now are when they are packing up to move to las vegas-they have those kids in a panic thinking the police are going to come in and arrest kody. their reaction to an emergency vehicle's siren in the background is telling of their fear.
As the second oldest of 6 kids, I could feel the disgust on the faces of the older kids. When my mom announced baby #6, I was 12 and overwhelmed with the constant childcare and household tasks pushed off on me. DH has seen very little of the show but watched the look backs with me. His comment when the teens reaction was being discussed was, “No one wants to think about their parent making babies especially at that age.”😂

The difficulty of blending families is pretty common and well known even when it’s a much smaller family. There is a big difference in growing up together since birth as most of the older kids did. Between Meri, Janelle, and Christine there were 8-10 kids born in a very short span. Those kids don’t likely remember a time without each other. Much different to try to blend in Robyn’s kids with preteens and teens. Especially when it would have been so evident to them immediately that they were seeing their dad much less often because he preferred being with Robyn.

As the second oldest of 6 kids, I could feel the disgust on the faces of the older kids. When my mom announced baby #6, I was 12 and overwhelmed with the constant childcare and household tasks pushed off on me. DH has seen very little of the show but watched the look backs with me. His comment when the teens reaction was being discussed was, “No one wants to think about their parent making babies especially at that age.”😂

The difficulty of blending families is pretty common and well known even when it’s a much smaller family. There is a big difference in growing up together since birth as most of the older kids did. Between Meri, Janelle, and Christine there were 8-10 kids born in a very short span. Those kids don’t likely remember a time without each other. Much different to try to blend in Robyn’s kids with preteens and teens. Especially when it would have been so evident to them immediately that they were seeing their dad much less often because he preferred being with Robyn.
Not to mention Robyn didn’t really let her kids “blend.” All the moms but especially Janelle and Christine were interchangeable with the kids in and out of their houses and not needing to necessarily check in with their bio mom, just a mom. She had a nanny and kept her kid in her house, Friday Night dinners ended, church together ended, lots of traditions ended. She always traveled separately from the others. It’s kind of hard to form a tight bond if one mom insists all things her way and separate.

On the teens as the oldest of five siblings and oldest of 21 cousins, I felt them. The oldest were all “parentfied”. In charge of getting all the younger ones dressed and ready for school and fed then the reverse at night. Remember one of the older boys scolding Sol and Kody jumping in and telling him he can’t do that? Yet they were all in charge of their bio sibs and I know from experience if one of those little ones messed up in some way it would be on the older ones. My brother and I were talking about this last week. I am the oldest but he was the oldest during the week in my mom’s home when I wasn’t there. Our youngest siblings resent the hell out of us for the disfunction in our families when it’s our parents they should have a problem with, we were just kids ourselves.

On Kody’s relationship with his older kids. Please. That was some serious bull right there.
Me watching with my headphones on and drilling my DH with a glare: Who’s responsibility is your relationship with our kids?
Him without missing a beat even though he has no idea what I just watched: Uh, that would be me.
Not hard Kody, not hard!

I was watching someone’s analysis on the shows and she pointed out how Kody jumps in and tells Robyn how to feel. He also constantly tells her how he’s the only one who understands her. I don’t think either of them realizes how toxic their relationship is.

I couldn’t find them either on xfinity demand :(
Philo has a 7 day free trial and I got that in order to watch. I'm going to cancel before the 7 days are up. But considering that I pay for Discovery + and Max, I don't feel like I should have to search around to find a place to watch. It's annoying.

On the teens as the oldest of five siblings and oldest of 21 cousins, I felt them. The oldest were all “parentfied”. In charge of getting all the younger ones dressed and ready for school and fed then the reverse at night. Remember one of the older boys scolding Sol and Kody jumping in and telling him he can’t do that? Yet they were all in charge of their bio sibs and I know from experience if one of those little ones messed up in some way it would be on the older ones. My brother and I were talking about this last week. I am the oldest but he was the oldest during the week in my mom’s home when I wasn’t there. Our youngest siblings resent the hell out of us for the disfunction in our families when it’s our parents they should have a problem with, we were just kids ourselves.
The bolded hit. I blamed myself for years for a lot of the dysfunction. Feeling that I should have done more. When what I did was get married at 18 to get myself out. But you are absolutely correct. I was parentified and the blame for the dysfunction is on the parents.

Not surprising that all the older kids (except Robyns) have gotten out ASAP. I’m sure searching for peace and calm.

Not to mention Robyn didn’t really let her kids “blend.” All the moms but especially Janelle and Christine were interchangeable with the kids in and out of their houses and not needing to necessarily check in with their bio mom, just a mom. She had a nanny and kept her kid in her house, Friday Night dinners ended, church together ended, lots of traditions ended. She always traveled separately from the others. It’s kind of hard to form a tight bond if one mom insists all things her way and separate.
Remember Christine's comment about the nanny?-"What does the nanny DO?" It was so obvious that the idea of a nanny was foreign to them.

The bolded hit. I blamed myself for years for a lot of the dysfunction. Feeling that I should have done more. When what I did was get married at 18 to get myself out. But you are absolutely correct. I was parentified and the blame for the dysfunction is on the parents.

Not surprising that all the older kids (except Robyns) have gotten out ASAP. I’m sure searching for peace and calm.
*Hugs* I feel you on all of that.

another 'looking back' episode airs tonight then next week it's on to christine's wedding part 1.

I found it interesting how Meri and her friend virtually had thevsame thoughts/opinions as Christine and Janelle even though they seemingly do not talk or have much of a relationship.

I found it interesting how Meri and her friend virtually had thevsame thoughts/opinions as Christine and Janelle even though they seemingly do not talk or have much of a relationship.
Meri’s friend seemed awkwardly inserted during the season but she was pure gold last night. The continuity of thought shows the truth of what everyone but Kody and Robyn see.

Robyn is in the craziest loop I’ve ever seen of centering herself in every situation. She centers herself in the break up conversation to the point that Meri has to ask her to hush, and she walks off sobbing. Then when it’s played back she centers herself again with a ridiculous show of emotion- not for Meri but again for her own feelings. I don’t know how anyone could maintain a relationship with her. I’m surprised that someone so self focused would ever have thought plural marriage would work for her. But then she doesn’t see other’s viewpoints so again…a ridiculous Robyn loop.

Janelle always has the wisdom. Last night’s nugget for me was her recognizing that Kody and Robyn were older and more mature and took time to know one another rather than rushing in as she and Christine did.

Super glad to know that it hasn’t been all “beer and skittles” for Kody.🙄😂 If he could just admit that he messed this up, then maybe I could give him some empathy. Maybe if he could say something like, “I should have realized that a 4th wife when two marriages were already in trouble was a bad idea. I should have recognized that 19 kids was unsustainable for one father. I should not have posted up with the new honeymoon phase wife and ignored the others.” He however just continues to blame others.

Last edited:
Kody, it's a good thing life isn't all "beer and Skittles". You wouldn't have your 6-pack abs if it were!

Beer and Skittles?!?!?! I literally laughed out loud at that one!

I never watched until the last couple of seasons. I didn't realize that the original three wives were all there before anyone had kids. No wonder there was such a huge disruption when Robyn was added.

Kody constantly contradicts himself. It’s mind boggling! I’m excited to watch Christine’s wedding shows.

Kody constantly contradicts himself. It’s mind boggling! I’m excited to watch Christine’s wedding shows.
So true!! He is just so far down this path that he can't see the forest for the trees. He is projecting everything onto everyone else. I don't know how Robin deals with him as he is bitter & angry.

I finally just saw the episodes as I was traveling but the look back episodes with the older clips were quite revealing. It really shows that when Robin came in that things took a turn and honestly I don't blame Robin as much. Kody's relationships with the other wives were his to maintain and he did a poor job of it.

I do hope that Janelle & Christine somehow have a relationship with Meri. I think they would all get along a lot better now.

I do hope that Janelle & Christine somehow have a relationship with Meri. I think they would all get along a lot better now.

I agree. I would hope that they could at least share a coffee, drink or meal sometime.

I was impressed with how objective and kind they were with their reactions to each other's relationship with Kody, especially Meri's.

They also had the benefit of understanding the 'religious' beliefs about marriage in that cult and how that interplayed in the whole picture.

The bitterness of whatever happened in their time together was not there in the talkbacks.

I enjoyed meri’s
Meri’s friend seemed awkwardly inserted during the season but she was pure gold last night. The continuity of thought shows the truth of what everyone but Kody and Robyn see.

Robyn is in the craziest loop I’ve ever seen of centering herself in every situation. She centers herself in the break up conversation to the point that Meri has to ask her to hush, and she walks off sobbing. Then when it’s played back she centers herself again with a ridiculous show of emotion- not for Meri but again for her own feelings. I don’t know how anyone could maintain a relationship with her. I’m surprised that someone so self focused would ever have thought plural marriage would work for her. But then she doesn’t see other’s viewpoints so again…a ridiculous Robyn loop.

Janelle always has the wisdom. Last night’s nugget for me was her recognizing that Kody and Robyn were older and more mature and took time to know one another rather than rushing in as she and Christine did.

Super glad to know that it hasn’t been all “beer and skittles” for Kody.🙄😂 If he could just admit that he messed this up, then maybe I could give him some empathy. Maybe if he could say something like, “I should have realized that a 4th wife when two marriages were already in trouble was a bad idea. I should have recognized that 19 kids was unsustainable for one father. I should not have posted up with the new honeymoon phase wife and ignored the others.” He however just continues to blame others.
I enjoyed Meri’s friend in this episode as well. She asked some of the hard questions that I wished the host had asked in earlier tell alls.
One statement she made was very telling when discussing how Kody says now that he never loved his previous wives. Jenn said people could look at the love letters he wrote Meri and they would know that he did indeed love her in the past. I think it’s easier on his pride to say he only ever loved Robyn than to face the fact that all three of his first wives took the initiative to leave him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter