Sirius/XM - Same or different

midas

Mouseketeer
I currently have a Chrysler with Sirius radio. I paid for a lifetime subscription 6 years ago which has already paid for itself. I am considering a Honda that has XM. Does anyone know if the subscriptions are interchangeable since they merged and are 1 company?

I don't what the stipulations were 6 years ago, but as of now, the lifetime subscriptions are ONLY good for the car you purchase it on. So for instance if you buy it for your car today and the car is totaled tomorrow, you're out of luck. They're not transferable. :sad1:

You'll probably have to start new although most of the car dealerships offer a free intro promotion of some sort. I really lucked out with my Acura (which is Honda so there may be a similar promotion). Previously they had a 3 mth promo, this time around it's a 2 yr promo, pretty nice!!

As far as the lifetime on a new vehicle goes, the pricing should be much cheaper than what you paid however it may not be worth it because even with my last car I paid for XM/Sirius every 5 mths which was about $25. When it all started several yrs back I was paying $18 a month for Sirius, crazy now when I think about it. You have to wheel and deal with them-go right to the disconnection dept., they'll offer you a deal.

When you get your new vehicle make sure to call and tell them you want to cancel at the end of your promo, I'm sure they'll offer you a nice deal, the lifetime promos become out of date because the prices keep coming down. Even though Sirius and XM merged, they've lost lots of subscribers due to internet radio competition like Pandora.;)

I have a Chevy (xm) and a ford (sirus) and since the merge I've called and asked if I could get at least some discount since they are the same company. They always Say the same thing - I will in the future but right after the merge and now they are telling me the systems are just too different that it won't work. I drive way too much and getting rid of either is just not an option. So I doubt you will be able to change over your old lifetime to a new car. But just ask and you might get some promotion.

My "lifetime" deal with Sirius includes 4 transfers. I'm only on my first radio. I paid around 450.00 6 years ago. The price was 12.00 per month at the time. If I have to, I'll get a stand alone radio and use it in the new car instead of subscribing to XM if they don't transfer. Thanks for everyone's help.

I just read the subscriber agreement on Siriusxm.com and it says that automotive receivers are not transferable in lifetime plans. I was told at the time I subscribed that it was transferable to new vehicles. This is a change and I wonder if my subscription is grandfathered. If it's not, they can stick it. All these new vehicles have mp3 hookups, so I can get all the music I want from our ipods. I can do without the other programming.

I currently have a Chrysler with Sirius radio. I paid for a lifetime subscription 6 years ago which has already paid for itself. I am considering a Honda that has XM. Does anyone know if the subscriptions are interchangeable since they merged and are 1 company?

No, unfortunately, lifetime subs are not interchangeable between Sirius and XM.

Even though they share the same parent company, Sirius and XM still operate as two seperate sat radio services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter