sippy cups throught airport sec./soy milk at airport?

andreschris

Earning My Ears
I’ve read that if you have an infant you can take his milk through the security check point if its served in the bottle. But, can you take in a sippy cup? Do they allow it only just for infants or are toddlers ok too? Ds’s will be 2 and 5 and they both love milk. Plus I prefer to have it with me for take off, etc. (it’s a 3 hour flight). Anyway, I know I can buy regular milk after we pass the security check point, what worries me most is that ds2 is allergic to cows milk (he drinks vanilla flavored soy milk) and it’s possible that they don’t sell it at the airport. Do you think they’ll allow me to bring his milk served in a sippy cup or in it’s closed container, which is 8oz.
I really appreciate your comments. I just don’t want a crying toddler all the way to Orlando.

I've had mixed success bringing a sippy cup through for a toddler - sometimes no problem and sometimes I had to dump it. I think your chances are higher with a sippy than with the closed container. I also think you'll have a better chance with one really full sippy cup for the 2yo that you then have him share with the 5yo, rather than trying to get an additional sippy through for a 5yo (not sure if that was something you were planning). I would also suggest bringing a note from your doctor that your son is allergic to cow's milk and that may help, but it will really be up to the discretion of the TSA since drinking the milk during the flight isn't truly a medical necessity like medication. Otherwise, do your children drink juice? Or water? You can find both of those after security. When DS was younger I usually brought pre-cut grapes for DS to eat to pop his ears, too. Now I give him a lollipop.
Good luck!

We had the same issue when we went to Hawaii (DD was 1 1/2). I put the soy milk in a thermos (a small silver one) No one said anything. She also had a Sippy cup in hand, the throw away kind, just in case. Once we got past check in, we were able to purchase some Soy milk we found out. She only would drink the Vanilla flavored. If you know anyone going on a trip leaving from your airport, you could have them check maybe. Now she does fine with reg milk. Also good idea about the Dr. note...and we also did Lollipops, sugar free!

On our last trip, my little one was 1.5, and she also had to drink soy milk. (Thankfully, she can tolerate regular milk now - that stuff stinks!!) We went through security with several sippy cups full of soy milk AND a dr's note, just in case. No worries. If you got stuck, you could probably find some soy milk at a Starbucks once past security.

Also, we were relieved that our food court and most table service restaurants at WDW sold soy milk. It counted as 1 snack credit. :thumbsup2

Go to the TSA's website and see what they say. It should give you what's acceptable and what's not.

I am thinking you might have better luck if you buy the Silk Vanilla Soy Milk that comes in juice box? They sell them in a pack of three at my grocery store.

Go to the TSA's website and see what they say. It should give you what's acceptable and what's not.

The problem is that this one is not well-defined. Here is the link: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

It specifically says formula, breast milk, and juice but doesn't say regular milk. Many TSAs took it to mean any drink for a toddler (why would juice be OK, but not milk?), but I had one that wouldn't let me bring milk for my 13 month old in a bottle through! I also have once had to dump milk from a sippy cup and once water. And the rest of the time was able to bring milk/water through in a sippy just fine (maybe 8 or 10 times?). I think chances are good, especially with a doctor's note, that you can get a sippy of soy milk through. You can also ask to talk to a manager if the 1st TSA says no. There is just no guarantee, because the regulations don't TECHNICALLY allow for milk (or define what age is considered a baby/toddler).

I’ve read that if you have an infant you can take his milk through the security check point if its served in the bottle. But, can you take in a sippy cup? Do they allow it only just for infants or are toddlers ok too? Ds’s will be 2 and 5 and they both love milk. Plus I prefer to have it with me for take off, etc. (it’s a 3 hour flight). Anyway, I know I can buy regular milk after we pass the security check point, what worries me most is that ds2 is allergic to cows milk (he drinks vanilla flavored soy milk) and it’s possible that they don’t sell it at the airport. Do you think they’ll allow me to bring his milk served in a sippy cup or in it’s closed container, which is 8oz.
I really appreciate your comments. I just don’t want a crying toddler all the way to Orlando.

Here is a link directly to the TSA website that discusses traveling with children and their liquid needs. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

I have also submitted an inquiry directly with TSA, but who knows how long it will take them to reply. When I get an answer I'll post it.

Even though milk (cow and soy) is now more readily available at airports, I wouldn't think that juice would 'trump' milk in the TSA food groups. Why juice is specifically mentioned and not milk is beyond me.

But, like I said, when I get an exact (well, exact from TSA standards) I will share it.

Best Wishes!

I'm curious about this as well. DD#1 is lactose intolerant. The problem is she won't touch soy so she drinks lactose free cow milk. And it has to be skim too. DH once accidently picked up 2% at the store and DD brought her sippy back to me and said mom this mlk is old ;) So we always take sippy of milk with us for her because other than the grocery store you just can't find lactose free skim cow milk anywhere. She really doesn't care for water or juice either. But she will drink flavored waters. I ocassionally buy those pouches that are water with a splash of juice and she will drink those but I'm not sure if they are allowed or not. In a pinch she will drink water with crystal light or kool aid individual packets added. Our flight is only 2 hours so I'm not as worried about the flight as what I'm going to do when we get to Disney. I know they have milk but she can't drink regular milk and won't drink soy and I really don't want her drinking nothing but kool aid or soda for 7 days.

So no great advice but I feel your pain.

Our flight is only 2 hours so I'm not as worried about the flight as what I'm going to do when we get to Disney. I know they have milk but she can't drink regular milk and won't drink soy and I really don't want her drinking nothing but kool aid or soda for 7 days.

So no great advice but I feel your pain.

My advice is to stop at a store before arriving at your hotel or go to the store at some point. Wherever you are staying, you should inquire about a refrigerator. Disney Deluxe's have them and I think some mods too. Values I think it's a first come first served so it's hit/miss.

Also, call WDW Dining and if you are making ADRs let them know about DDs food allergy (even if she's just a wee one) and they'll give you info on how to contact the different restaurants. I have found WDW to be very accommodating to those with food allergies, so they may actually have the lactose-free milk. But you have to ask!

Best Wishes.

but I had one that wouldn't let me bring milk for my 13 month old in a bottle through!

And how did this person know it was [cow's] milk?

The simple answer if challenged is to say that the white liquid in the baby bottle is human milk. They are not allowed to challenge you on this, open the bottle to smell it, or ask you to taste it. The odds of any TSO (male or female) being able to reliably identify human milk on sight are slim to none -- they just can't tell the difference easily. For those of you who have never handled it, breast milk looks very like skim cow's milk, usually kind of bluish, though the color varies depending on what mom has been eating lately and what baby's particular nutritional needs are; it can also look quite yellow at times. It does separate if it has been at rest a long time and is cold, but swirling it up (or disturbing it by walking with the container) will normally mix it back together again.

If your child is a bit past the baby bottle, transport it that way anyway. Put the milk in the baby bottle to get it past security, and also bring empty sippies that you can transfer it into for the child to actually drink it. Take enough for 24 hours on the possibility that you might get stranded somewhere. Let TSA assume that the entire supply is for the toddler; take the older child out of the equation entirely unless you are transporting it as "special dietary needs" rather than as infant food.

The special dietary needs exceptions are primarily meant for diabetics, but you should be able to pass with soy milk under that exception in an allergy situation. The medical conditions page is
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Here's the relevant text:
Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

... Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition; ... and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

Thank you all for your replies. I plan on bringing several boxes of the soy milk he likes in my checked luggage, which is Silk vanilla soy milk, and buy more when we get there at a grocery store or Costco since we'll have a car and be staying for 2 weeks.
I'll bring his milk in a sippy cup and hope they let it through.

And how did this person know it was [cow's] milk?

The simple answer if challenged is to say that the white liquid in the baby bottle is human milk. They are not allowed to challenge you on this, open the bottle to smell it, or ask you to taste it. The odds of any TSO (male or female) being able to reliably identify human milk on sight are slim to none -- they just can't tell the difference easily. For those of you who have never handled it, breast milk looks very like skim cow's milk, usually kind of bluish, though the color varies depending on what mom has been eating lately and what baby's particular nutritional needs are; it can also look quite yellow at times. It does separate if it has been at rest a long time and is cold, but swirling it up (or disturbing it by walking with the container) will normally mix it back together again.

If your child is a bit past the baby bottle, transport it that way anyway. Put the milk in the baby bottle to get it past security, and also bring empty sippies that you can transfer it into for the child to actually drink it. Take enough for 24 hours on the possibility that you might get stranded somewhere. Let TSA assume that the entire supply is for the toddler; take the older child out of the equation entirely unless you are transporting it as "special dietary needs" rather than as infant food.

The special dietary needs exceptions are primarily meant for diabetics, but you should be able to pass with soy milk under that exception in an allergy situation. The medical conditions page is
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Here's the relevant text:

This is exactly what I did when my DD was just over 2. She nursed until 2 but still NEEDED milk to calm her down at times until almost 2.5 (even though it was cow milk from a sippy at that point -she never took a bottle). So, I just poured three large bottles of cow milk -stuck them in a cooler bag and threw my sippies in DH's backpack. Had anyone asked - it would have been breastmilk. We allowed plenty of time at the airport -but on the off chance we weren't able to find 2% milk - I didn't want to risk the flight without it - and who knows how long we might have been stuck on the plane?!?

Last year we went from Birmingham AL to LAX with an 18 mo. old. We got through security both times with juice, medicine (benadryl large bottle), amoxicillin, and milk!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter