• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sioux Falls

We stayed there for 2 months many years ago while my husband worked a consulting job. I agree about the parks, they are great. I had a then 2 year old and we visited the science center quite often.

We're from Texas and used to getting great Mexican and Chinese food. Not so much in Sioux Falls. That was our biggest complaint... the food.

Sioux Falls is the biggest small town you will ever live in. It's a great town. The public schools are ok, not horrible, but not the best. The Catholic school system is excellent (including a very good Catholic high school). We lived in SF for almost 3 years and loved it. When we were there they had a VERY active newcomers club. If it is still around I would recommend doing that. The medical community in town is amazing, some of the best medical care we have ever received.

It is a nice mix of historic and new. The downtown area is lovely. It also has a large, newer, shopping district along 41st street (which is to be avoided at all costs on weekends:lmao:).

The zoo in town is nice, GREAT for little kids. The parks are the best we have ever seen in any town. The airport is small so flying is a snap.

I would move back there in a heartbeat (after the kids are done with school).

I'm jealous!! I grew up an hour from there and my brothers and their familes live in SF. We are trying to move there as well, just waiting for an opening for my husband. It is a growing communitiy and super friendly. We went to Falls Park last weekend to look at the Holiday lights. There is always something different to do there. It's a very nice town. Good luck to you.

I don't know if they still do this but there were 100's of neighborhoods around town that picked a theme and everyone on that street decorated to that theme for Christmas. One street would be "Candy Cane Lane" for example and all the houses would do variations of Candy Canes. We would spend hours driving around looking at the various neighborhoods. One neighborhood off Cliff Ave. had all the houses/yards professionally done in all white lights. We lived up in the Historic District at the other end of town and you could see the glow from that neighborhood by our house :lmao:.

I don't know if they still do this but there were 100's of neighborhoods around town that picked a theme and everyone on that street decorated to that theme for Christmas. One street would be "Candy Cane Lane" for example and all the houses would do variations of Candy Canes. We would spend hours driving around looking at the various neighborhoods. One neighborhood off Cliff Ave. had all the houses/yards professionally done in all white lights. We lived up in the Historic District at the other end of town and you could see the glow from that neighborhood by our house :lmao:.

Oh, I remember this! We used to drive around for hours just looking at the themed streets. It was so pretty! I recall the "decoration" was part of the deed to the house and a new homeowner was obliged to participate.

I lived in SF for 4 years in the 80's while going to college.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like we will move in the summer when kids are done with school. DH will go lots sooner. Can anyone tell me which are the best public elementary,middle and high school? I am having a difficult time figuring this out. Thanks:confused3

I do know the west side of town has the newer schools. I don't know about "better." There are also newer houses on that side of town, it is growing quickly.

Thanks again. My son is heavily involved in boyscouts,baseball and our Baptist church activities. My 11 year old daughter plays piano and is involved in our church as well.Thanks:santa:

We run into the Sioux Falls High Schools frequently at marching band competitions and based one the parents in the stands I would send my kids to Roosevelt High School. The parents are really nice and seem to have a lot of fun together. We haven't had the same experience with the Lincoln parents or the Washington Parents. I know, very scientific but in my experience I have found that the best schools have the best parents.

. We haven't had the same experience with the Lincoln parents or the Washington Parents. QUOTE]

Hey now, I graduated from Washington, :thumbsup2. :rotfl2:

I grew up in Sioux Falls. Lived there for 18 years. It has changed so much since I moved to Denver back in 1972. It isn't the town of 100,000 anymore. I know it has grown immensely. It's a clean town and as someone mentioned the parks are great. The bike trail is excellent. They have been ahead of the game with them. Last time I was there the main streets were a nightmare. Hopefully they have widened them.

I truly think you will love Sioux Falls.

We run into the Sioux Falls High Schools frequently at marching band competitions and based one the parents in the stands I would send my kids to Roosevelt High School. The parents are really nice and seem to have a lot of fun together. We haven't had the same experience with the Lincoln parents or the Washington Parents. I know, very scientific but in my experience I have found that the best schools have the best parents.

:confused:

Not even sure what to say here... :rolleyes:

To the OP, ask me any questions and I will try to help you out. We've lived here for 20 years and love it! Great place to raise a family!

Not sure if this will help, but we stayed there overnight on our way to WI from Mt. Rushmore. We stayed at a Homewood Suites and it was the nicest Homewood Suites we had ever stayed in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter