single

mom+3girls

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever cruised alone? Wondering what the experience was like. How did dining go?
Considering a cruise next Sept 2014 alone on the Dream.

Has anyone ever cruised alone? Wondering what the experience was like. How did dining go?

Certainly many have traveled as solo cruisers. Be aware, the single supplement fee is 100%. That is, you will still pay for 2 people in the room (but only one set of port fees and taxes). It could be worth your while to find someone to travel with.

You most likely would be placed at a table with others. Probably adult (couples and possibly other solo travelers).

I sailed six times alone on Disney. I usually make a lot of new friends, see a lot of the same passengers on various cruises and made all sorts of friends with the cast members. On my first solo cruise my table mates where great. On my second solo cruise my dining table mates where complaining about all sorts of things on the first day of our cruise and I didn't want to be around that negativity so I asked to be placed at my own table. Since that experience I always asks for my own table, although on occasion I have joined other tables for a meal or two after making new friends but I always end up back at my own table. If you have any other questions about cruising solo please feel free and asks or send me a message.

I'm cruising solo for the first time on the east bound Panama Canal cruise in a month. Nothing like jumping into it with both feet.

I have done 2 solo cruises and have another one coming up in October, I travel solo because my friends think I have a disney problem and because they think I spend too much on vacation. Too bad for them I have had a great time on both of my cruises. The table mates that I was paired with were fantastic as well and I had no issues.

You will have a great time

Getting ready for my 6th Disney cruise and 7th cruise solo over all. I tend to make friends on the cruise meet threads and then link reservations for dining so I already know my tablemates. This cruise will be different in that I haven't done that this trip. I'm probably going to concentrate on Palo and Remy.

I love being able to do my own thing and being as involved as much or little in activities as I want. This trip is all about relaxing and indulging myself since its a significant birthday.

The 200% single supplement now sucks though. :( I miss the 125% and 150% days

Jill in CO

I'm going solo for the first time in Feb and am exited about it! I've traveled to Dublin, London, and Florence on my own, so I'm not too worried about it. The single supplement does suck, but honestly it comes to about what I'd spend going to Europe an touring on my own before meals, so I might as well! :)

This is only a suggestion, but if you're going to pay double anyway, why not invite a friend to come along with you? Tell him/her up front that you don't have to spend time together, but just share the room with ground rules.
Perhaps find someone who's also and early riser or night owl like you (whichever you are). All they have to pay for are the port fees and their transport to the ship.
If you're paying that much anyway, you may as well share the fun with someone.

This is only a suggestion, but if you're going to pay double anyway, why not invite a friend to come along with you? Tell him/her up front that you don't have to spend time together, but just share the room with ground rules.
Perhaps find someone who's also and early riser or night owl like you (whichever you are). All they have to pay for are the port fees and their transport to the ship.
If you're paying that much anyway, you may as well share the fun with someone.

We don't all have or want someone to travel with. I pay the supplement because I have to....I think 200% is outrageous since I started out paying 125% when I first started cruising with Disney but its the price I pay to play.

Jill in CO

I had the most fabulous dinner alone in Remy! Such a treat and such cute, wonderful, French accented waiters! Ooo la la!! It was so much fun!

Dinners at the MRDs would be with my kids, but they left me last cruise when we had late seating at 9pm every night to join the clubs, so I was alone for most of dinner. I didn't love that.

I wonder if DCL automatically seats you with other people when cruising solo?

I have sailed 4 times solo on DCL and once on RC. The first 3 times I joined the Dis meets thread and the ones I really hit it off with I joined their table for dinner. One cruise I even did an excursion with one family. It's still one of the best excursions ever. The last solo cruise I did I was seated at a 6 top with all other solo female cruisers. I made a very good friend on that one and we are still very close! I've enjoyed sailing solo as it gives me the freedom do what I choose and when!! I was never bored! The CM's went above and beyond to make each solo cruise outstanding. I agree with Jill, the 200% does stink. I miss the 125% as well. It doesn't stop me though!!!! I say go and have a magical time!

I did my first solo Disney cruise this past January. While I was excited about it, I did have some reservations going into it. However, once onboard, and even prior to, I met so many people. Our DIS meet group was fantastic, and was able to meet up with lots of people.

As well, once on the ship, it was fantastic!! I met so many great people, that if sitting alone, would come and talk to me. I could be as independent or as social as I chose to be. And that was the best part, it was MY choice what I wanted to do.

For meals, I was at a table with 2 couples (my age), and a few other single people. It was great! I could not have asked for better.

I booked the WBTA in 2014. 14 nights solo. I can't wait!! I have met soooo many wonderful people on my cruise thread. And have plans to travel to meet up with some prior to our cruise.

You will have a wonderful time! Embrace going as a solo cruiser:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter