Single Parents- does anyone else feel this way?

ten6mom

DIS Veteran
Since I got divorced (my choice) I have become more and more sensitive to advertising (particularly photographs) which nearly always seem to depict a mom and dad (or at least a male and a female), or, if only a single adult is shown, he or she is always wearing a wedding ring. Do you think I am oversensitive or has anyone else felt the same way?

I think it's just the way society portrays the American family. Mom Dad 2 kids and a dog.

Anyone who does not fit this criteria probably feels the same i.e. adoptive families (you rarely see 2 caucasian parents with Asian or African American kids), Gay parents, single parents, grandparents who are raising grandchildren etc. There are so many different families yet they are rarely depicted in advertising.

I did notice that early on and it bothered me but now it doesn't. I rarely notice it anymore. I had to really search in my brain to think of something lately that did.

What DOES bother me are events at my kids schools that are billed as parent specific. They have a couple of dad events, father daughter dance, a donuts with dad thing...yes I could go or if my dad is in town he could but still bother me. My kids dad lives more than 1000 miles away. He is superficially involved (his choice) and wouldn't ever come for any of these events. I feel badly for my kids. My DD doesn't notice much but my DS does and I know it hurts him.

Yes, it bothers me. It just makes me sad, as an only child with one parent. I'm not offended, it just reminds me of what I don't have so it's kind of depressing.

I am fortunate that my ex lives very close and is a great dad to our kids. However for example it has been a hassle trying to get two copies of the class group photo.... even tho I clearly mark on the envelope and send a check for two. And yes the parent specific things can be annoying at times although in my situation I know how lucky we are.

I have been a single mom from the beginning and this type of advertising doesn't bother me in the slightest and never has.

Just because I chose to do things differently doesn't mean businesses need to change how they advertize. There is no way they could advertize for every conceivable family unit out there, so they usually chose what will cover most people and this makes sense to me.

What does bother me, is when companies do decide to use a different family unit (such as Amazon's Kindle commercial with the married gay couple) and everyone starts acting like the world is coming to an end because of it. My world is not affected by seeing married couples with children in commercials; other people's should not be affected by seeing single parents or gay couples in them.

No issue here. Does crack me up when I see ads for photography companies that will "erase" that unwanted person from your family photos.

3.png

6.jpg

Since I got divorced (my choice) I have become more and more sensitive to advertising (particularly photographs) which nearly always seem to depict a mom and dad (or at least a male and a female), or, if only a single adult is shown, he or she is always wearing a wedding ring. Do you think I am oversensitive or has anyone else felt the same way?

I felt this way when i was first divorced. I think it is pretty natural for many people as they adjust from a "we" to an "I". It will pass though and you wont feel your new singlehood so acutely. Hang in there. Single has its advantages too!

There is something offensive in most advertising if you bother to pay attention. My personal issue is the tendency to make all men stupid. I'm raising sons and it irritates me on occasion. Men are portrayed as idiots far too often.

As far as the amazon commercial, they intentionally played on the concept of different to get attention. And it worked. :). Not arguing it. I thought it was cute.

My personal issue is the tendency to make all men stupid. I'm raising sons and it irritates me on occasion. Men are portrayed as idiots far too often.

I agree 100%. I guess I didn't notice it too much before I had a son, but now that I do, it's irritating.

Try being a widow. Or having your dad die and having to deal with father events at school. This is the life of MY kids and me. No way to "have dad come even if parents are divorced". It is just me and the kids. Going on three years now, and it doesn't get any easier- we are getting used to it, but it isn't easier.

I've been a single parent from the beginning also and I never even noticed.

I do notice stereotypes and mysogonist ads that make me want to throw up. Unfortunately I'm in the ad business and want to throw up regularly... :headache:

I have become accustomed to what society considers "normal" or "average"..I've never seen me or my life depicted in it so I've learned not to care.

I guess it depends on how YOU feel about being a single parent. Do YOU feel strange or out of place and this bothers you because of that? Or are you proud of being a Mama Lion who is raising her cubs and no depiction of anything can shake that???

17107-3.jpg

I like the second one!

I honestly have never noticed.

The only thing that ever bugged me was when the mail would come addressed to "The Parents of John Doe". If you know our name, and you know our address, why is it so hard to address the envelope properly? Lots of kids don't have "parents", maybe it's a single parent, maybe it's an Aunt, or an Uncle, or a Brother or Sister, or Grandparent raising the child. It just always felt tacky to me to address the envelope as "parents".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter