Single Parent Support Thread

I'm leaving Sunday with ds and dd for a week at ASmo, I am getting very nervous! This is our first trip alone, and I hope I didn't bite off too much planning a whole week for just the 3 of us. Somebody please tell me I didn't make a big mistake.

You are going to have a great time!! Enjoy every second! I just took my DS to WDW in April and it was the first time it was just the 2 of us. There is not a day that goes by that I don't replay one part of that trip or another..it was truly magical to be there with him by myself.

Have a fabulous time!!!

I'm leaving Sunday with ds and dd for a week at ASmo, I am getting very nervous! This is our first trip alone, and I hope I didn't bite off too much planning a whole week for just the 3 of us. Somebody please tell me I didn't make a big mistake.

My advice: Take it slow and give the kids some power in choosing what to do/see. You will have a fantastic time and your kids will NEVER forget the memories that you will make.

My oldest turns 19 in December and remembers his 1st visit when he was 7 as if it were yesterday. He remembers the most amazing details that even I had forgotten about.

Our trip next week was supposed to be a surprise but I HAD to tell him yesterday because he was starting to connect the dots: "Mom, why are we flying on August 24 when I can't move into my dorm until August 31??" so I gave in and spilled the beans. His reaction was so sweet. He grabbed me and hugged me over and over and when he pulled away I had a wet shoulder from where he had cried. We haven't told his brother yet.

Have a wonderful time and be sure and let us know how it went.

Gina

YAY! Happy to have found this thread! :thumbsup2

I also never thought about the fact that Andys mom on TS seems to be a single mom.

I am the mom of 3 kids. I have been a single parent for over 3 years. My oldest son is Cole and he will be 14 in October. He starts highschool this year! Yikes! Braden is 8 and Ava is 5.

I have been to DW and DL each twice (before kids) but my kids haven't been anywhere yet! This will be our FIRST vacation as a family ever! I can't see anywhere better than going to my favorite place in the whole world DISNEY WORLD!

:)

~Heather~

Hey!! I'm so thrilled to find this little group!:yay:
I am also a single mom of a beautiful little boy who is turning 3 next week!
We are heading down to WDW in September for his THIRD trip...I'm "grooming" him to be a Disney freak like me. :rotfl:
I haven't read through this whole thread yet but I'm going to try...hoping to get to know some of you!
Have a great day!
Sharon

I'm a single mom to one DS who will be 5 months next week. I'm almost 33 and decided last year I was tired of waiting to meet someone to have a baby so I skipped the meet someone part and had a baby. It's the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life I love him so much.

I bought into DVC last year so I already have his first 3 Disney trips planned the first being to DLR next month just him and I (my aunt might meet us there but I don't know for sure), then DW in January I used the DVC and my mom is paying for my plane and park ticket so she can go, and then DLR again next June as my present to my little sisters for graduating 12th and 8th grade.

It's nice to see single parents who are Disney lovers like myself.

Can I join in? I've been a single mom for 7 years and this year became a single mom of 2. :rolleyes: I love my kiddos more than anything, but Disney is a close 2nd ;). I took DS once with our family and twice alone. We are going again next month, but I'm bringing my parents along since they haven't been in 4 years. We never had any problems on our solo trips. :thumbsup2

Yes I am a single mom too of two girls DD9, and DD3 both were adopted. We are going back to disney in Nov 11-11-11 ( I love that date). We are going to be their for a week and I can't wait. We have been going to disney for years I think my 9 year old has been their 6 times now. We all love to sit and plan what we are going to do, and where to eat, although this time we are not doing any sit down meals, the girls don't eat just want to see the charaters. Both of my girls are great travels, so I have very lucky. I decided when I was 40, since I was not married that I would adopt, I really wanted to be a mom and that was the best decision I ever made. Being a single parent is hard but it has some made life great. :cheer2:

I'm a single gal too who adopted my DD 2 years ago. She is the light of my life and I cannot imagine a single moment without her in it! 2 years ago today, after almost 5 long years of waiting, I received the call from my agency advising me that I was the Mom of a precious 5 1/2 month old baby girl in China! She is my everything!

This time next week we'll be at Disney for her very first trip. Cannot wait!!!

I too am a single parent, and have been for the last two years. I get no financial or support of any kind due to the circumstances. It's very difficult, but not impossible and requires sacrifice. When I say sacrifice, I mean ME doing without. LOL.

We are all taking our first ever trip to WDW (taking MIL with us!) in March!

This thread is right up my alley! :)

I had just turned 25 when I found out that I was expecting, and have been a single mom since the day before that! DD's "father", and I use that term loosely, has never been in the picture and for that I'm grateful. It was a tumultuous relationship, one that should have never been, and I don't trust him to raise a weed let alone another human being.

Our lives are hectic. She's a full-time toddler, cuddles to tantrums and everything in between, and I'm a full-time RN who is currently back in school full-time for my CRNP degree. Free time is limited but what I do manage to set aside we spend in WDW!

My daughter's first trip [and my 38th!] was in June 2010. I was nervous about going it alone with a 14-month-old but it went surprisingly well. We stayed at POFQ, specifically selected because of its small size, and every minute of our vacation was fantastic. She had a smile on her face from rope drop to fireworks.

Her second vacation was this past April, one in which my mom and aunt accompanied us. We stayed at Coronado Springs and again, it was fantastic. The resort was drastically larger but she was also a lot more active [had just turned 2] and the size was great for burning off extra energy. Not to mention she's in the "no stroller!" stage and managed to walk Epcot several times over [attached to her Minnie Mouse harness, of course] on our 2nd day there. Trip 2 was definitely a lot more fun than her first because she was into the characters.

Trip 3 is coming up shortly, we leave PA on October 26th for 7 nights in Orlando. :cool1: A whole jumble of family decided to go this time, 7 in all, so as a cost saving measure we opted to stay off property in a suite at Vistana LBV. Of course just this morning I came across a 3 bedroom suite at World Quest that is 400 sq ft bigger and $100/night cheaper so I'm contemplating switching resorts as I type. :confused3 I loved Vistana the two times that I stayed there previously, but then again I was 9 and 10 so what did I know? Decisions, decisions.

I've had WDW blood running through my veins since my first trip there at 6-months-old, and thankfully that was passed onto DD. :woohoo: Every single morning, and I mean EVERY single morning, since we returned in April she wakes up asking, "Mommy, I go see Buzz today? And the Dollies? [iASW] And the boat ride and train?" I don't know who is more excited this time around.

Hey!! I'm so thrilled to find this little group!:yay:
I am also a single mom of a beautiful little boy who is turning 3 next week!
We are heading down to WDW in September for his THIRD trip...I'm "grooming" him to be a Disney freak like me. :rotfl:
I haven't read through this whole thread yet but I'm going to try...hoping to get to know some of you!
Have a great day!
Sharon

You sound just like me! :goodvibes DD is 2, will be 3 in February, and her third trip to The World is in October! I've been grooming her since she was born. :) She actually got into her Power Wheel tonight and said, "Bye, Mommy! I'm going to Disney World to see Mickey Mouse! Be back in 2 seconds!" Ha!

also single by choice. Adopted DD from Guatemala at 11 months. She turns 5 this Saturday YIKES. Only 50 days until our second trip the first being a stop to meet extended family on our way home from Guatemala! i aslo got tired of waiting and then it dawned on me right around my 40th birthday I didn't have to wait! :goodvibes

Also single mom here! My son will be 3 in Oct and my daughter will be 2 in October. Being totally crazy and attempting a trip with the 3 of us in 2 weeks!!! I'm pretty laid back about it, not expecting it to be an ideal trip by any means, just exploring and having fun while they still get in free and one flies free... and b/c I'm horrible about waiting to do things like this and thanks to them I got a nice tax return this year...

So my big question is... will I be able to handle them (almost 3 and almost 2, remember), our bags and a double rental from a rental company on the bus to get from All Star Movies to the parks? Am I nuts?? Will everyone want to strangle me on the bus??

Also single mom here! My son will be 3 in Oct and my daughter will be 2 in October. Being totally crazy and attempting a trip with the 3 of us in 2 weeks!!! I'm pretty laid back about it, not expecting it to be an ideal trip by any means, just exploring and having fun while they still get in free and one flies free... and b/c I'm horrible about waiting to do things like this and thanks to them I got a nice tax return this year...

So my big question is... will I be able to handle them (almost 3 and almost 2, remember), our bags and a double rental from a rental company on the bus to get from All Star Movies to the parks? Am I nuts?? Will everyone want to strangle me on the bus??

First I'd say limit yourself to one park bag, preferrably a backpack even if it's a little larger than you want to carry. This will make bus travel easier as well as getting into the parks through security.

Also for the one under 2, if you have a carrier like the Ergo (www.ergo.com) that would be very helpful because you would only have to deal with helping the 3 year-old get on and off the bus. They are also great for standing in lines, doing buffet meals if you do any, and going the many places around there a stroller cannot go. Mine was a life-saver when we went and my older child is 7. Weight limit is 40lbs. My son is 20 months, and 26lbs and I can still wear him for long periods. There's an option of hip wearing if that is more comfortable while handling a double stroller.

Is your rental a stroller you are used to or have encountered? If your rental is the Baby Jogger city-mini they are super easy to fold and unfold. You might find a store that sells them to practice folding it and unfolding it. There are also videos online that show how to do it. What do you use at home? How are you getting them through the airport?

I love the city-mini. I rented the single when we went. Saying good-bye to that thing at the end of the trip was almost as hard as saying good-bye to Disney World. I vowed to them both I'd be back. :rotfl: Actually thinking of getting ds his own.

Have a great time. I understand about trying to get trips in while you get the price break. I'm trying to get 2 done in between now and 2013 (a short one in December I haven't decided on yet and a long one in June). In 2013, not only does my son turn 3, but my daughter turns 10. :scared1:

I just took my son in June the week before he turned two. The bus was a disaster in my opinion. He wasn't used to the freedom of sitting without a carseat and it made it very difficult. I would try to rent a car if I were you. I can't imagine doing it with two kids. Getting on and off the bus with him, our bag, and a stroller wasn't horrible. Usually somebody would volunteer to help, or I would send him on and follow him with the stroller and the stuff. Other than the bus, the trip was fantastic!!! I'm so glad we went and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Joining in here! My name's Kristin and I am single mom to my DD Sophia who is 9 years old. I have been divorced for 4 years now- have a great boyfriend of over a year- but have no desire to live with him for quite some time! He doesn't like to travel much (well doesn't like to go anywhere he has to fly- or long drives). So Sophia and I will be heading off to Disney in November for our first full Disney Vacation.

I am excited because she is at such a fun age, and I think she will be an excellent traveling companion. Now that I think of it- it's also our first solo- week long vacation together. We travel alot- either with family (my mom, or sister) or we make lots of weekend trips around New England.

Anyway, to make a long story short! Excited to join in here!

Don't know if I've introduced myself here or not, but I am single with 2. They are old enough now that we can travel pretty easily, but when they were both younger, I learned to ask for help. Don't be afraid to admit to strangers that you are not Wonder Woman. Ask the grandpa looking guy or the teenage girl for help - "Hi, as you can see, I've got my hands full here, and I could really use some help. Would you mind holding my son's hand while he climbs the steps (carry my stroller, hold my bag while I step onto the bus - whatever you need help with)?" People are, 99% or the time, happy to be helpful - especially if you have cute little kids! Once I asked a man in the Atlanta airport if he could help me get my stroller on the "plane train", and he insisted on pushing the stroller all the way to my gate with me saying, "I'd hope someone would help my wife out if she was traveling alone."

And if we see you when we are there in mid November, my girls and I will offer to help you out!

First I'd say limit yourself to one park bag, preferrably a backpack even if it's a little larger than you want to carry. This will make bus travel easier as well as getting into the parks through security.

Also for the one under 2, if you have a carrier like the Ergo that would be very helpful because you would only have to deal with helping the 3 year-old get on and off the bus. They are also great for standing in lines, doing buffet meals if you do any, and going the many places around there a stroller cannot go. Mine was a life-saver when we went and my older child is 7. Weight limit is 40lbs. My son is 20 months, and 26lbs and I can still wear him for long periods. There's an option of hip wearing if that is more comfortable while handling a double stroller.

Is your rental a stroller you are used to or have encountered? If your rental is the Baby Jogger city-mini they are super easy to fold and unfold. You might find a store that sells them to practice folding it and unfolding it. There are also videos online that show how to do it. What do you use at home? How are you getting them through the airport?

I love the city-mini. I rented the single when we went. Saying good-bye to that thing at the end of the trip was almost as hard as saying good-bye to Disney World. I vowed to them both I'd be back. :rotfl: Actually thinking of getting ds his own.

Have a great time. I understand about trying to get trips in while you get the price break. I'm trying to get 2 done in between now and 2013 (a short one in December I haven't decided on yet and a long one in June). In 2013, not only does my son turn 3, but my daughter turns 10. :scared1:

I haven't finalized my stroller plans (Orlando rentals was out the day we needed one, but they are supposed to get new ones in, so just waiting to hear if they'll have one for us) - plan is to get a City Mini Double since all the reviews say it's the best all around (Orlando rentals agreed it was what I'd want with my kids' ages and being alone too) - I think we'll probably take our sit 'n' stand or single to the airport and gate check it (my 2 yr old would sit in the basket of the single if necessary, though I think the sit 'n' stand without the canopy/tray folds up as small or smaller than the single we have). We COULD use the same stroller in the park, but I want my son to have the flexibility of being able to nap or just sit/rest comfortably b/c I don't plan to go back and forth to the resort during the day. Plus the sit 'n' stand doesn't allow my daughter to nap comfortably either and I don't think it's that much smaller than the City Mini seems to be (though I don't have any first hand experience with it).

I love that someone mentioned asking for help... I'm hoping I get some groups of understanding people on the buses we attempt to get onto! I'm pretty good about speaking up and saying, "I'm really sorry.... we can be a circus act sometimes!" My son is very used to not being the baby and doing things for himself... like walking alone and staying close, etc... being in a stroller will be a new thing for him actually. I do have a mei tai carrier that I have only rarely used with my daughter, but I'm hoping to get a few more practices in over the next two weeks because I bet at the end of the night, she's going to not deal well with having to get out of her stroller.

I'm sure it'll be a huge headache riding the bus, but what else can we really do? Renting a car wouldn't even really help b/c we'd still have to take a tram or something? Plus then we are talking about carting car seats on the plane too.

There is a lot to consider, but I'm glad to hear that most of you don't think I'm too crazy! :-) :dance3: (DS wanted that icon :-) )

Any suggestions about Photopass? Is it worth it to buy the CD ahead of time? Being that I won't have a lot of hands for the camera let alone to get any pics of us together... will I have a lot of opportunity to use Photopass? Or should I just wait and see what pics I get first and then decide if I want the CD?

I haven't finalized my stroller plans (Orlando rentals was out the day we needed one, but they are supposed to get new ones in, so just waiting to hear if they'll have one for us) - plan is to get a City Mini Double since all the reviews say it's the best all around (Orlando rentals agreed it was what I'd want with my kids' ages and being alone too) - I think we'll probably take our sit 'n' stand or single to the airport and gate check it (my 2 yr old would sit in the basket of the single if necessary, though I think the sit 'n' stand without the canopy/tray folds up as small or smaller than the single we have). We COULD use the same stroller in the park, but I want my son to have the flexibility of being able to nap or just sit/rest comfortably b/c I don't plan to go back and forth to the resort during the day. Plus the sit 'n' stand doesn't allow my daughter to nap comfortably either and I don't think it's that much smaller than the City Mini seems to be (though I don't have any first hand experience with it).

I love that someone mentioned asking for help... I'm hoping I get some groups of understanding people on the buses we attempt to get onto! I'm pretty good about speaking up and saying, "I'm really sorry.... we can be a circus act sometimes!" My son is very used to not being the baby and doing things for himself... like walking alone and staying close, etc... being in a stroller will be a new thing for him actually. I do have a mei tai carrier that I have only rarely used with my daughter, but I'm hoping to get a few more practices in over the next two weeks because I bet at the end of the night, she's going to not deal well with having to get out of her stroller.

I'm sure it'll be a huge headache riding the bus, but what else can we really do? Renting a car wouldn't even really help b/c we'd still have to take a tram or something? Plus then we are talking about carting car seats on the plane too.

There is a lot to consider, but I'm glad to hear that most of you don't think I'm too crazy! :-) :dance3: (DS wanted that icon :-) )

Any suggestions about Photopass? Is it worth it to buy the CD ahead of time? Being that I won't have a lot of hands for the camera let alone to get any pics of us together... will I have a lot of opportunity to use Photopass? Or should I just wait and see what pics I get first and then decide if I want the CD?

If you preorder the photopass CD and decide that it isn't worth it they will refund your money. We didn't do a great job of seeking out photopass photographers but still ended up with about 120 photos. Once borders were added it ended up being over 800 pictures :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter