Single Parent Support Thread

I hate leaving too...I usually wind up tearing up a bit. We have a last day routine we follow. The last park we visit is always MK, it's my daughter's and my favorite park. Then the day we are leaving we do the character breakfast at ohana and then go for one last monorail ride to wave goodbye to disney, this is where I try to hold back the tears lol. But we try to enjoy every minute we have in disney.

You are making me tear up. What a beautiful routine!:wizard: I am glad to see that you have trip planned in 4 months. We are heading to Disney in November - my mom is joining my son and I. We are super excited about our trip! Making memories together is so special!:dance3:

You are making me tear up. What a beautiful routine!:wizard: I am glad to see that you have trip planned in 4 months. We are heading to Disney in November - my mom is joining my son and I. We are super excited about our trip! Making memories together is so special!:dance3:

The memories are great! I hope you guys have a great trip!!

Hello from CBR!! The kids are sleeping and I'm heading there. Had a great trip in to town. I hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Single mom here too.

4 fabulous kiddos: DS #1, 20, college student
DS #2 18, college student
DD #3 5, K
DD #4 3, my sidekick

I work fulltime as a labor and delivery nurse. Love my job. Married 20 years then he decided to have issues. So that was the end of that. :banana: I have been a DVC member since '99 @ BWV's. We tend to max out our AP's going 4-5 times one year then the next year we take a Disney break and do other things. We are experiencing our break year at the moment. :sad2:

I am so glad to see I am not the only one out here............. I have a wonderful DD who is 11 years old and loves everything Disney! We are adjusting to the changes of me being a stay-at-home mom to now being a working full time mom. We are planning DD 12th birthday celebration at WDW in January! Happy Labor Day Holiday to all!

I'm a newly single mom. My husband of five years decided to walk out on me and our 14 month old son a few weeks ago. It definitely came out of nowhere, so right now I'm just dealing with the shock of what is happening. I'd love to chat with some other single parents.

I'm not a single parent, but rather the child of one. When I was 8 years old, and my mom was 7 months pregnant with my brother, my father passed away. Mom never remarried, so she raised the two of us herself.

I know it was not easy for her, my brother and I certainly didn't make it very easy for her. But I think she did a heck of a job raising us. We went without a lot of fancy things, but she made sure we did everything that she thought kids should do, all the sports, the extra curricular activities and clubs, the trips (including two to WDW), the experiences. She encouraged us to follow our dreams and was at all the games, plays, and recitials my brother and I were involved in.

I'm 35 now, and my mother passed away unexpectedly this summer. I'm grateful that I got the opportunity to thank her for everything she's done for me, and I hope she could see the influence she had on me through the way I am raising my daughter.

So with that in mind, I wanted to thank you all for your hard work and your dedication to, and love for, your kids. It's a hard job, but it's worth it, and you'll do just fine.

TL

Alright...I read the first two pages and felt inspired to chime in on my own. I am a single mom of one. She is 17 and in her senior year of high school. I've been on my own for 6 years after being married for 18. Gosh how time has flown.

We went to the World last December for our first trip. I was scared to death...so insecure about myself and stuff. We had the vacation of our lives! So many memorable moments that I thank God for.

We are planning our next trip May 2011 (during free dining) to celebrate her graduation!

Dating? what's that again? I have been asked several times but just haven't wanted to go. I pray God will bless me again in that way.

Now I'll head back and try to catch up on the rest of the posts!

Hi all...
I just completed reading 6 pages of your posts and had to post to everyone again. You are all such an amazing group of people. I know that I'm not alone in my shoes, but I sure feel like it. Of all the firends, co-workers, and people I know...I am the only one divorced. It get lonely sometimes. Not just for companionship but for the understanding of where I am in my life. I just wanted to say thank you...I appreciate all your stories. :goodvibes

I'm so happy I found this thread! I am the single mother of a beautiful 5 year old boy. I adopted him as an infant and it's always been just the two of us. Our first trip as a family was in April 2008 -- my parents and my son & I shared a room at an All-Star resort and it was very tight. My son was only 3 at the time and was still napping, so being cramped in a room that had no place to sit other than the bed was not fun. We also had my sister and her 3 kids with us in an adjoining room and it was just nuts. (My sister is a difficult person and I will never vacation with her again.) It was on that trip that I toured and bought into the Disney Vacation Club. Since my son was only 3, I thought it was the best way to have a nice vacation to WDW every year.

In March 2009, I had our first DVC trip scheduled to SSR with a friend and the friend backed out at the last minute due to work obligations. So, that left me and my son to navigate the world alone. I was a nervous wreck! Luckily, I had a 1BR booked, so we had a full kitchen and laundry in the room. That saved our trip. We ate every meal in the villa, except for picking up pizza one day at DHS for lunch (and that didn't go well at all). We went to the parks every morning and were back to the villa by lunch. We spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool (my son loves to swim) and then would have dinner in the villa. Each evening I would ask him if he wanted to go back to a park to see fireworks and he always said no, so we were usually asleep by 9-10pm.

It was one of the best trips because we had NO plans. While in the parks, if my son said he wanted to leave, I dropped whatever we were doing and we headed for the exit. It was great.

This past March 2010, we had a trip that included my parents, my DN18 and one of her friends. This trip was a little more stressful because we had to consider the desires of others. My son had a couple of meltdowns that were pretty horrific, one of them in front of the Haunted Mansion for everyone in line to see and another in the lobby of Jambo House at AKL. The rest of the trip was okay, but not the same as when we were there alone.

As a side note, I have discovered over the past year that my son has some special needs (he was drug-exposed at birth) which have caused him to be very emotional and sensitive. He may also be bi-polar. Needless to say, it has been quite stressful just dealing with that alone, nevermind dealing with it on vacation.

This December 2010, just the two of us are going for a week and will be staying in a 1BR at Kidani Village/AKV. I'm really looking forward to it. I've made a couple of ADRs, but if we don't make them, it's no big deal. The rest of the trip is unplanned. I hope it works as well as our trip to SSR last year.

I admire all of you single mothers, who truly have to raise your children alone, especially those with more than one and/or special needs. I know how hard it is to do this alone and you all have my deepest respect.

All the best....
Karen

Hi everyone! Just had to jump in and join your group. I'm a divorced mother to DD 8 and DD 5. We've been on our own for almost 4 years. My ex lives in Australia so for practical purposes, I am the sole parent. After 8 years together, I couldn't take his parents' interference in our lives.

Moved back to MN to be close to my family (thank God for family!) and got a good job and just completed my Masters degree. I was working 3 jobs and going to school for 2 years but now I can relax a little.

I've been a Disney fan since I was little, parents took us to Florida many times over the years. My dds have been to Florida several times and on 2 Disney cruises. I made the mistake of allowing the Ex to take a cruise with us in 2008, never do that again! Last year I took the girls to DisneyWorld with my boyfriend and met up with my parents. It was another mistake. I am taking them again this year because it was a 'less than magical time' with the boyfriend. Said boyfriend and I split a while ago so now I get to plan a vacation with just US! I am so excited! I've been so many times and had so many different situations in Florida that I am confident I can do it myself.

It's a dilemma when you are dating. Do you invite him with on your vacations and if so, when is the appropriate time? After 6 months? After 1 year? After you get married? I wonder about that. I don't mind dating but I don't have to have someone in my life. The worst part is planning things. I have to get input from someone else and I love to plan my Disney vacations so compromise is needed. I guess that is a good test before you say yes. If you can stand each other after a Disney vacation, he may be a keeper!

I am looking at the week after Thanksgiving or the first full week in December to go. Anyone else going around that time?

Hey everyone! I'm a single mom to my fabulous six year old, Kate. Divorced three years ago and living in beautiful Boise, Idaho.

We will be leaving for WDW January 28th. It will be my DD's first trip to WDW and my first time staying in a WDW resort (Port Orleans - French Quarter). We are very excited!!! It's going to be a loooonnnnggg 99 days. :cloud9:

I'm glad this thread got bumped back up. We booked our airfare for our Disney Cruise that we are going on in March. It will be my son and I along with my mom. I think it's going to be awesome!

The ex and I owned DVC and I was getting it in the divorce. I really couldn't afford it. I called DVC and they are letting me sign the deed back over to them. :banana: It's great because I'll save money, but it sucks to get rid of my DVC.

Hi, I'm Lisa and a now widowed single mom to my wonderful 10 yr old DD!

My DH died in the Haiti earthquake on 1/12, this year has been so hard and full of many changes. After waiting for 29 days, he was finally recovered, brought back to the states and we were able to finally put him to rest.

I had to close our business, plan a move back home to WA from CA, find a new home, school, everything for my DD, leave all our friends, but came home to be closer to both sides of the family and my friends here!
We have gotten settled in since our move in June, my DD loves her new school and friends and we trying to live our lifes the best we can each day.

We are going to our happy place in March, know it will be hard without my DH being there, but know his spirit will be!

Thanks for "listening" :goodvibes

Hi everyone! Just had to jump in and join your group. I'm a divorced mother to DD 8 and DD 5. We've been on our own for almost 4 years. My ex lives in Australia so for practical purposes, I am the sole parent. After 8 years together, I couldn't take his parents' interference in our lives.

Moved back to MN to be close to my family (thank God for family!) and got a good job and just completed my Masters degree. I was working 3 jobs and going to school for 2 years but now I can relax a little.

I've been a Disney fan since I was little, parents took us to Florida many times over the years. My dds have been to Florida several times and on 2 Disney cruises. I made the mistake of allowing the Ex to take a cruise with us in 2008, never do that again! Last year I took the girls to DisneyWorld with my boyfriend and met up with my parents. It was another mistake. I am taking them again this year because it was a 'less than magical time' with the boyfriend. Said boyfriend and I split a while ago so now I get to plan a vacation with just US! I am so excited! I've been so many times and had so many different situations in Florida that I am confident I can do it myself.

It's a dilemma when you are dating. Do you invite him with on your vacations and if so, when is the appropriate time? After 6 months? After 1 year? After you get married? I wonder about that. I don't mind dating but I don't have to have someone in my life. The worst part is planning things. I have to get input from someone else and I love to plan my Disney vacations so compromise is needed. I guess that is a good test before you say yes. If you can stand each other after a Disney vacation, he may be a keeper!

I am looking at the week after Thanksgiving or the first full week in December to go. Anyone else going around that time?

--------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to say HI:) I'm also in MN!

HI, I've been a widowed mom for almost 5 yrs now, I have 2 daughters the youngest has battled a brain tumor twice now.We went to WDW once with make a wish(Oct 2009) and they let my dad and step mom join us ,I never thought I could do this kind of trip alone...then last year we had to come to Jacksonville for a check up and I surprised them with 2 days in Orlando and a day at MK and realized I CAN do this,,,,so we now have a trip planned for Aug 2011 for 8 days Can't wait!
Does anyone know if there is help at check in?I read alot of posts from people where mom took the kids in the check in while dad parked the car, I dont have that option.We will be at WL so I am hoping there is maybe a valet that can park the car while I take the kids in to check in?:confused3

I'm not a single parent, but rather the child of one. When I was 8 years old, and my mom was 7 months pregnant with my brother, my father passed away. Mom never remarried, so she raised the two of us herself.

I know it was not easy for her, my brother and I certainly didn't make it very easy for her. But I think she did a heck of a job raising us. We went without a lot of fancy things, but she made sure we did everything that she thought kids should do, all the sports, the extra curricular activities and clubs, the trips (including two to WDW), the experiences. She encouraged us to follow our dreams and was at all the games, plays, and recitials my brother and I were involved in.

I'm 35 now, and my mother passed away unexpectedly this summer. I'm grateful that I got the opportunity to thank her for everything she's done for me, and I hope she could see the influence she had on me through the way I am raising my daughter.

So with that in mind, I wanted to thank you all for your hard work and your dedication to, and love for, your kids. It's a hard job, but it's worth it, and you'll do just fine.

TL

Thank You for posting that, my husband died 5 yrs ago at 38 yrs old.our kids were not quite 2 and 5 and I wonder often about how they will be when they get older, what they will remember and wanting to make sure I give them as normal a life as I can,I want them to look back and be able to say that their dad was the only thing they missed out on.

Hi everyone,

I am a single mom to a lttle girl who turned 4 yesterday. Her dad left when she was 4 days old but has stayed in her life.

I am planning our first rip to WDW in Spetember 2011, we will be going with her Dad this first time. I wouldn't want him to take her the first time without me so I'm trying to be fair.

After that it's just the 2 of us, I would like to go every year or so.

I look forward to talking to you all!

Does anyone know if there is help at check in?I read alot of posts from people where mom took the kids in the check in while dad parked the car, I dont have that option.We will be at WL so I am hoping there is maybe a valet that can park the car while I take the kids in to check in?:confused3

WL does have valet service as well as bell services to help you with your bags. If you have a handicapped placard, valet parking is free, otherwise it's $12 per day. It is also expected that you tip the valet, I'm a bit more generous and tip $2 at drop off and at pick up, but some only tip $1 each way or $2 on pick up. To me, it's a valuable enough service and I know they work hard, so that's my logic. As far as bell services goes, I tend to tip $1 per bag, since they are usually being handled by two different bell persons (one who takes them at the curb and one who delivers them)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter