Single or double kitchen sink?

My daughter has a large porcelain single sink in her 1940's house. It's great for bigger pots. That said, my preference is for a double sink with one side larger than the other. That way, oversize pots can still fit but I can put other dishes in the 2nd "rinsing" bowl.

I grew up with a single bowl sink. My grandmother hand washed the dished in a dish pan and rinsed over the open area. I currently have a large 36" single bowl at my apartment. I love it. I don't have trouble with washing my crock pot, skillets, and oversized baking dishes. I just wish I had a sprayer attachment for easier rinsing.

My aunt has a tiny 33" double sink. It's horrible for washing oversized items, especially her electric griddle. I can't stand it and I use a dishwasher for as many items as I can.

Right now I have a stainless steel double sink. One day I'd love to renovate the kitchen and thinking of getting one big sink instead of the double. Any pros/cons to a single sink?

I did the kitchen 2 years ago and have a very deep single stainless sink and absolutely LOVE it. Got rid of the double sink which we only used the "deep" side of it anyway.

Ours is double and deep. Both sides are the same size, and I've never had trouble with bigger items not fitting in the sink.

Same here. I'd been spending more time that I care to pulling small items out of the side with the garbage disposal if I had a single sided sink.

I wash my dishes in the left side, rinse in the right side, dry on the counter. I never knew there was any other way until recently LOL. If you have 1 deep sink, doesn't the water get too high as you are rinsing the dishes on top of the water with dish soap already in it??

I do wish my sink was deeper for those big pans. I'd also love more space under my sink for "stuff"--those pipes wreck everything!

I wash my dishes in the left side, rinse in the right side, dry on the counter. I never knew there was any other way until recently LOL. If you have 1 deep sink, doesn't the water get too high as you are rinsing the dishes on top of the water with dish soap already in it??

I do wish my sink was deeper for those big pans. I'd also love more space under my sink for "stuff"--those pipes wreck everything!

No, I don't block the drain so the sink doesn't fill up.

I have a double sink, but would prefer a single. Most dishes go in the dishwasher & the right sink holds my dish drainer. I do not soak my dishes in water because I think it's nasty. I keep the water running so all the yuckies go down the drain.

Having had both, I prefer my current double sink - I like to pile the dirty dishes in one side (awaiting the dishwasher) and have the other side clear for washing hands, etc.

I have a double sink. Both sides are equal and relatively good size. Still, I can't fit a cookie sheet in it. My next sink may be a double but it will fit a cookie sheet completely in the sink so one side may be smaller.
I'll be the eccentric lady carrying the cookie sheet through the kitchen design store while my family tries to pretend not to know me.

I have a huge single sink. I wanted to be able to lay a cookie sheet in it. I also have a small bar sink in the kitchen on another counter. I also have 2 dishwashers, one on each side of my huge sink. I LOVE this set up! (the extra dishwasher was about the same cost as a cabinet would have been when we built the kitchen).

The very limited amount of times I hand wash something, I don't fill up the sink to do it. I scrub then rinse over the other dirty dishes. I have a drain board on the counter for drying.

I'd never have a regular double sink... only if one of the sides was big enough to lay a cookie sheet.

Huge single sink. As others have said, I love putting a cookie sheet or pots and pans in it. When an item goes into the sink, I wash it immediately anyway, so no need for a separate "rinsing" sink (sorry, that concept is so foreign to me!) I hate when dishes pile up.

Can't help but chuckle at all the cookie sheet comments. Parchment paper, people! Cookie sheet dilemma solved!

I have a double silgranite sink. I use the right side to drain items I hand wash before I dry them and put them away.

Single...extra deep. Ours is about a foot deep. And it is HUGE. I love it. As for washing and rinsing...who cares if you rinse into the sink that holds the soapy water? That's what I do, and it works great. We have some very big pots/pans/bakeware, and everything I own fits flat into our big sink. Heaven for soaking. And, since our sink is so big, I can be soaking a big pot (pot simply filled with water) and still have ample room to do anything else I want in that sink.

Since we are all tall people, the extra depth is nothing but an advantage.

Can't help but chuckle at all the cookie sheet comments. Parchment paper, people! Cookie sheet dilemma solved!

I have a double silgranite sink. I use the right side to drain items I hand wash before I dry them and put them away.

There are some things I bake on my cookie sheet for which parchment is not appropriate (meatloaf, for example...and yes, I bake my meatloaf on a cookie sheet...we have grass fed beef and it is so lean that I can use a cookie sheet).

We also have a large fish poacher, which is longer than a standard cookie sheet. That also can soak flat in my wonderful sink. Love it.

I use Silpats but I still wash the sheets.

single....

HATE the double - in fact, i just replaced our double at our vacation home with a large single. Cookie sheets, 9 x 13 pans, jelly roll pans don't fit in them. You can't imagine the number of times I ended up wet because it couldn't fit "in" and fit "on top" and the water would run off and get me (ok, maybe I'm just a klutz).

I also hated the one side without a disposal. No matter how much you tell people not to put anything in that side and no disposal, you are still digging out junk (I guess we entertain guests a lot at that house).

Love .... love... the big new sink!

I had a double until recently, now a large single. I like it a lot better. I frequently wash gallon jars and large pots used to make our products and the extra room is great. I wash all the dishes under running water, I've never had a sink full of water or soaking dishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter