Single Mom traveling with 4 year old

flyingw/tink

Mouseketeer
I am a single mom who is not afraid to travel alone, however I have never traveled alone with my DD. We went last summer when she was 2 and she did surprisingly well, I mean she was a hard core Disney trooper, however we were with 10 other family memebers. When I was growing up I have very fond memories of my family traveling and going on great vacations every summer and I want my DD to have these memories as well. Are there any other single parents out there who have traveled alone with your little ones? We are taking several mini trips this summer but I am itching to go back to Disney, I am officially addicted to the mouse. Looking to travel last week in May of '08 and my DD will be 4. I'm open to any feedback or suggestions.

DD and I always traveled. We even took the train from Michigan To California to visit DL. Don't let being the only two going stop you from going places. Dd and I had a blast.

I've traveled on my own with DD from the time she was 9 months old and we were flying back and forth to Japan, so it is possible. :-) WDW is definitely one of the easiest one-parent trips going - no driving stress, various foods to satisfy any kid's palate, etc. I started taking her when she was just turning 5 and we've been back several times since.

At age 4, my biggest piece of advice is to go at her pace, for sure, and stick close to the home routine as much as possible unless you know she adapts well to sudden schedule changes. I didn't see any fireworks on that first trip, but I didn't have to deal with a cranky kid who hadn't had enough sleep, either. There was so much magic in her eyes that I didn't miss the nighttime stuff. Well, not much. lol

Go. Enjoy!

DD 4 loves WDW and we just made a trip there with 2 other moms and their 4 yo, we had our ADR´s together, and usually arrived at the parks together, did a couple of rides and then split our own ways, so technically it was dd and I most of the day.

The stroller is vital for me with DD, we have a Maclaren Quest and it is the BEST. Although DD is not a napper, her routine was so off that she would fall asleep everyday in her stroller or in the bus around 1 or 2 pm, which helped her be awake for the fireworks.

She is definetly a trooper, since all our schedules were off, breakfast, lunch and dinner and she never complained, and we were on the go go go (although we would take a midday break almost every day). She is definetly more of a trooper than dh :rotfl2: he sure knows how to complain :rotfl:

I took my son (who is now 10!) to WDW by myself when he was 4 1/2 and we had a GREAT TIME! We even went to Pleasure Island one evening (very early evening....not too late). We went to a club that was playing all 80's music that night-my ds LOVES 80's music and LOVES to dance, and we had a blast!

DD and I are set for our third annual trip to WDW. Our first trip with just the two of us was when she was four. When she was five a friend and her ds met us there but we stayed at different resorts. This year we are going agian!

I love to travel with just dd! Since I am a single mom I love to take her on vacation where I can focus all my time and energy on just spending time with her and doing stuff that the two of us enjoy.

I would suggest to take a midday break. My dd is not a napper but the time away from the parks, even if just for a little while, did a lot for her stamina. She has been able to stay up for all the nighttime shows and still be rested the next day.

The stroller has been a must for us in the past. I am questioning if we need on this time since she we will be six but I will probably just rent them on an as needed basis but for a four year old I would definately reccommend bringing one from home. IT will give your dd a little of her own space when the park gets to be too much!

Good luck! :banana:

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I am definately feeling more at ease now knowing that there are others that have braved the trip. I am definately taking a stroller which I will probably push more than it's used but it will be worth it. I own a Maclaren Quest and it has definately proved to be worth every dime I spent on it. Now I am ready to go and I only wish it wasn't so far away. I need my Mickey fix! :cheer2:

I take a lot of minivacations with just my son, newhampshire, maine, and we usually have the best times because I'm not stressed and he is my priority and we really enjoy each other. We did WDW with my brother and his family and my niece is the same age as my son, which was great, but we also spent some time apart which each kid needed to do what they wanted, and not have to compromise.
I wish I had my own stroller for trips back from the parks at night. It will definitely be good to have your own stroller where you're the only one to carry your DD.
Have fun!!

I am a single mom, too. My DS is 9, we have been going to Disney since he was 3. We mostly go with family or friends. However, we have done 2 trips just the 2 of us. Let me tell you, those were the best trips! I love our time together. He was 5 the first time we went alone and we did whatever he wanted. I just followed his lead, if he was tired he would head back to the resort. It's great not having to get everyone organized. This summer my sister and I are taking our sons. I have already told her that I want time alone with my DS.

You'll have a great time!

I'm a single mom that's been taking dd1 since whe was 3.

I love annual passes. For a family of two, they're not that expensive, and that way I can plan (at least) two trips in a year. When seh was littler, she didn't like going for long times, but now we do 2 10 day trips per AP. (And then, maybe a few long weekends thrown in if airfares are good.) Much more affordable than many other vacations for us. Plus, we simply have so much fun there. I know that my dd's favorite part of our trips is to have me to herself, and to have me relaxed. No better place to do it!

Have a great trip.

i just returned from disney may 1st from a solo trip with 4 yr old twins..so if i can do it you can do it. just try to go at a relaxing speed and not go hog wild disney. you know your dd best and if she gets alittle over whelded back a break and come back to the parks later or give her some running time. my girls did great on the trip. but when they need to get out of the stroller we found a play area or a mister to play in for them to strecth the legs.
just enjoy the time with her.
after 36 hours in FULL disney mood. my girls looked at me and said "your the best moma" made my day,made my week ..well really made my heart melt.

I have been taking my DD since she was 6 to WDW. She is also type 1 diabetic so it adds a little extra fun to the mix. I love our time away.. just the two of us. She talks about our trips all the time and we have the best memories. Like everyone else has said.. take your time and do it at her pace. Play by the pool for half of the day if thats what makes her happy.. eat at ALL the princess meals if she wants ( a sad day will come when she wont want to do that anymore:guilty: ) and above all have fun. Disney is the absolute best place to take a kid alone.. its made for kids and there are a ton of other mommies and daddies just like you there!

I have gone to Disney two times with my girls, and am planning my December trip now. Actually, I think the last trip this past December was the best of all. I made sure I explained a few things to my girls before we left... like everyone won't always agree on the rides to go on or aren't big enough to go on them and if I hear any complaints, it will be back to the resort, or you must stay by me at all times and if I ask you to hold onto the stroller or sit in it, then you have to do it. Really, I didn't have to have too many rules. My 6yo was a big help and I think she enjoyed helping me. Just remember to go with the flow and have fun doing it.

I'm not a single mom, but I am taking my oldest, DD4, to WDW in July. I'm really looking forward to a trip for just the two of us! We have a new baby (DD5mos) and I feel like I'm not getting enough alone time with DD4 since the baby has arrived. I'm glad to hear all the success stories with kids her age--I was worried she might be a little too young to start this mom and daughter trip! I'm hoping it will be fun and we'll be able to start a tradition, although if I do that, I guess I'll have to do the same for my youngest DD when it comes time! Oh well, that's just more Disney for me :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter