• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Single mom 3 year old and 11 yr old

Amber6684

Earning My Ears
I'm wanting to do a nice vacation with my boys next year. I've been thinking about Disney. The boys will be 3 and 11. My 11 year old is not a big fan of rides (especially not scary ones our roller coaster type rides). My question is would it even be worth it. With that big of an age difference and just me and the boys. Any suggestions?

Hi! I only have one child (DS is one year old), so unfortunately, I can't answer your question. However, I wanted to invite you to join our single parents' subforum. You can find the link at the top of this board; the Disney for Families board. There are lots of single parents with kids of various ages there. It's a great group. We'd love to have you. :)

Hope to see you there.

Absolutely worth it. You will have heaps of fun and Disney rides are not like your typical fairground rides, there will be heaps you can go on together. There are tons of things to do that are not rides. Do the phineas and fern experience at Epcot the ds11 will love it. If you haven't been you want to go soon before your DS11 is too old to get maximum enjoyment and 3 is a great age for first trip.

I am wondering who will ride with your 11 year old on rides the 3 year old can't go on. I would suggest bringing another child your older son's age or a relative like a nephew or cousin along to keep him company.

There is still a ton to do at Disney without the "scary" rides! There are plenty of iconic tame ones like It's a Small World that you can all go on together, plus things that aren't really "rides" - like the Swiss Family Tree House and Tom Sawyer Island - that I think boys of both ages would love. There are lots of shows and even things to do at your resort - water slides, surrey bikes, movies and marshmallow roasts. I also think Disney would be one of the easier places to go alone with two kids because transportation is taken care of for you. If it's in the budget, I'd say go for it!

There is so much to do there I don't think you will have a problem finding stuff that both of them will enjoy!! I wouldn't worry so much about the age gap as they are both still at an age where they will enjoy it. As a pp said the rides are not your typical amusement park style rides so you might find your 11 year old is willingly to ride more than you anticipate.

It's even better if your 11 year-old isn't a big fan of big roller coaster type rides. My two are 12 and 5 and I have a boy (the younger one) and a girl. My daughter has no interest in the rides that go faster, higher, have a height requirement. We have a blast at Disney. We have been 4 times since she was 7 and he was 10 months old. They do on occasion have to do things that are mainly focused on the other; and that has had some to do with their age gap (her sitting through Disney Jr themed meals and shows) and some to do with them being different genders (him sitting and watching her get made over at the boutique and sitting through a princess meal). But I tell them that's part of being a family. It's everyone's vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter