Single Dad + 3 Kids = 5 Days of DLR insanity Am I nuts?

Sky07

Earning My Ears
I have a trip planned May 27th to June 2nd with my 3 daughters. Ages: 11, 9, 6.

Here is the kicker, I am going solo. I have a small family, and nobody else is able to go.

Can I do it? I need encouragement\reality check.

If there are any other single\solo parents going this week, I would love to team up.

How awesome of a dad you are!!! Totally doable....your 11 and 9 year olds can ride together and your youngest and you can ride together!! It will be an amazing trip!! Have fun and enjoy!!!

I'm going single with just one kid and I'm not entirely sure I'm not nuts!!

Your kids seem like good ages though so HAVE FUN!!!

I have a trip planned May 27th to June 2nd with my 3 daughters. Ages: 11, 9, 6.

Here is the kicker, I am going solo. I have a small family, and nobody else is able to go.

Can I do it? I need encouragement\reality check.

If there are any other single\solo parents going this week, I would love to team up.

You are absolutely NOT nuts!!!

I think you're pretty awesome to plan/give your daughters such an amazing adventure!

You can do this!!!(And you'll have a heck of a lot of fun while you're at it, too!!!):thumbsup2

If you can't do it at Disneyland, you can't do it. I think your daughters are going to have a great time with their Dad.

One helpful tip - be their pack mule and make sure to take a backpack to carry 'stuff' so their hands are free. And carry small essentials (wipes, etc).

Sounds like fun! I would do it too if I were in the same situation. Good luck!

Maybe a little nuts :flower3: but you all will have so much fun and make great memories.

I've been dragging my 3 kids to Walt Disney World alone for a long time, since they were wee little ones. The 4 of you will have a blast.

pixiedust:

Not nuts at all! DL is a great place to go because rides that would seem babyish to your 11 yo at other parks will be must rides there. If I were you I'd put them in matching shirts (bright) so you can spot them easily. They seem too old to "wander off" but it can get crowded. I do that with my older kids too. It just makes it easier for all of us to spot each other. If this y'alls first visit?

You can do it! You're not nuts! You will have a ton of fun and make amazing memories! Your kids are old enough that it won't be too crazy.

I've been taking my 2 boys solo since they were 2 & 5. I'm going to do it again Memorial Day weekend (now 5 & 8 and my youngest is special needs), this might be nuts hahaha!

I've done several solo trips with my DD. It was great! Disney is a perfect place for a single parent to take their kids. The fact that your girls are a little older, it should work out really well. Have fun and don't worry!

Completely doable... None of your ifs are potty training or in diapers, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
I would suggest cell phones though. It is extremely easy to get separated, and phones help find missing people! Your kids are on that borderline age where they may or may not have them already so I thought I would suggest it.

Don't worry about anything. Just plan what you can accordingly, and leave the rest to being in the moment and going with the flow.
You sound like an awesome parent for not only taking your children to Disneyland, but doing so as a single parent as well.
Now if you need any hair styling/costume/clothing tips for your girls, just let us here know. I am more than happy to assist in those endeavors. :)
If this is your first visit, make sure to ask for your first visit buttons. It can be first visit ever, or first family visit, or first summer visit, you get the picture. :)
I am sure that you will all have such a nice, wonderful and magical time! :)

You'll have a blast! I am local and take my two DD's all the time. I agree with the cell phone. My DD11 takes her phone, since there are a couple rides she will not do, and having her wait with a cell phone in her purse makes me feel better. Just take it slow, soak up the magic, takes breaks if you need them and enjoy those little moments! Sometimes sitting on a bench with an ice cream is the most incredible part of the day! Have fun!!!

I was a single parent from the time my youngest was about a year old, and we went to Disneyland nearly every year. I did enlist help from friends when my health was at it's worst. If I was feeling good, I did it alone. It's one of the best bonding vacations! I think you'll have a terrific time!

Oh yeah, you can totally do it!
Your kids are old enough to be able to wrangle and reason with.
Not to mention, they will remember this trip forever and you seal your status as Most Awesome Dad ever.

Curious, OP:

Are you the same Skye that asked about this (meeting up with Single Moms etc) back in January?

And no, I don't think you're nuts for taking your kids on your own - enjoy your vacation focusing on your kiddos, the joy on their faces etc. It's amazing.

Curious, OP: Are you the same Skye that asked about this (meeting up with Single Moms etc) back in January?

Wondering the same thing myself. And because I was curious, I looked at your previous threads and one says you've done a trip with the girls - if you've done it before, I think you can do it again.

You will have a wonderful time, and decades from now when you are gone, your girls will look back and remember the time Daddy took them to Disneyland.

I know this because I am 67 and often think about the times when I was a little girl and my daddy took me to the stock car races, just him and me.
Wonderful memories.

awdsmama said:
Curious, OP:

Are you the same Skye that asked about this (meeting up with Single Moms etc) back in January?

DisneyJamieCA said:
Wondering the same thing myself. And because I was curious, I looked at your previous threads and one says you've done a trip with the girls - if you've done it before, I think you can do it again.

I don't doubt that is the case. And as one may recall that thread turned ugly real fast, and so unnecessarily too, in my opinion. Hopefully, this thread will forgo the same fate.
I prefer to take threads such as these at face value and not read anything nefarious or icky into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter