Singapore Anyone?

jba2

Mouseketeer
Is anyone familiar with Singapore? My son will be going there next month to work for four months. He has a co-op placement there but his work place is not able to help with accommodations. I would like to know where affordable, safe places to live are. TIA

Hmmm. Singapore is an EXTREMELY safe city. Ridiculously safe. I would think he could rent just about anywhere and "be safe." Crime is very low there, in all areas. It is a clean, clean, clean city. When we visited, we saw small children (think well under 10) taking the subway ALONE to go to and from school. This is considered routine there because crime doesn't happen, and if it does, justice is harsh and swift. Don't even think about spitting gum out in the street, or throwing garbage anywhere but an appropriate trash can. Never saw ANY trash on the streets. Never saw a bit of graffiti anywhere. Subway clean enough to eat off the floor (seriously).

We walked everywhere when we were there. Never felt unsafe for even a second.

Examples of things we saw: babies parked in carriages outside store (while mom/dad were inside shopping). People leaving packages to sit on the ground while they went off to do something else. No need to "watch" your shopping bags because no one steals it.

It really is that safe. My good friend lives there (we were visiting them). They love how safe it is.

They live in an apartment about midway between Changi (the airport) and the downtown region, very close to the ECP and East Park. Walking distance to a lovely beach, plenty of food courts (cheap, cheap, cheap places to eat with amazing food....it was cheaper (no kidding) to eat in the food courts than it is to shop and make your food....LOL, my friends eat at them all the time). They are "sort of" like the food courts in shopping malls, but way, way better, more interesting food. Typical lunch would be about $3-4 US, and dinner a dollar or two more. And walking distance to the "Green Line" of the very efficient and inexpensive subway system in Singapore. If I were him, I would locate myself very close to a subway station

Housing in Singapore is outrageously expensive. It's NYC pricing, and places are quite small. My friend lives in a 3 BR, 2BA apartment. Nothing special. Not terribly big (maybe 1000 square feet?) and it was $5000 US per month.

Make sure he doesn't bring any gum there. It's illegal. Can't help you with your question

Last edited:
Make sure he doesn't bring any gum there. It's illegal. Can't help I with your question

Not true. You can readily purchase gum in Singapore, BUT, it is unlawful to dispose of it other than in a trash can. No just dumping it on the sidewalk, etc. It IS illegal to consume any food on public transit, which probably explains why they are so clean. :-)

Extremely safe, extremely clean and extreme laws. Make sure he brushes up on all laws before he goes. Extreme laws on chewing gum, smoking, homosexuality, jaywalking, vandalism and drugs.

Hi there :) I am currently in my 5th year living in Singapore - my husband is here with the US government. I agree with the above - it is very safe & clean, but I have definitely seen trash & there *IS* petty theft - low crime doesn't mean no crime! BUT -- I have never felt more safe, in general. My 3 kids wander the neighborhood (near the American school) without me worrying.
As far as where to live -- it really depends on where he'll be working or studying - he'll want to be fairly close. Depending on if that is near an MRT line, he could also look at apartments near an MRT stop that connects there. The MRT is efficient & not too expensive, which is good. Most other things here, though, are CRAZY expensive. Hopefully he's not a big drinker, because alcohol (and cigarettes) are heavily taxed. Hawker center food is cheap, but most restaurants are very expensive. Housing, too, is pricey. It's likely he can find an apartment share or something -- look on Craigslist, sites like that. For a short term thing like this, a share would be best. Maybe a long term rental on AirBnB or something? I don't know. It is crazy expensive though, especially depending on location. We live almost in Malaysia (because we want to be close to school) and our first house here was almost $8000/month (SGD, so about $6000 US?) for a 4 bedroom townhouse. This is what Singaporeans consider WAY out in the suburbs, "so far, lah!" The market has dropped a ton & we're now paying $6500/month for a similar home in the same area.
If he has money to travel, there are SO many places that are a short (cheap) flight away - Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia. Tiger, JetStar & Air Asia offer cheap flights all the time.
If he'd like to get in touch I can try to help or put him in touch with a college student I know who spent a semester here & might have some better "young people" insight into the island ;) Message me or feel free to ask more questions here if you'd like :)

Not true. You can readily purchase gum in Singapore, BUT, it is unlawful to dispose of it other than in a trash can. No just dumping it on the sidewalk, etc. It IS illegal to consume any food on public transit, which probably explains why they are so clean. :-)
Well, no, gum isn't "readily available to purchase" either. You can buy at the dentist, not sure where else. You CAN bring it in, you cannot import it for sale.

Definitely take a look at the laws. They have some heavy duty fines for things and drugs are a crime punishable by execution at a certain level, so a DEFINITE no-no.

Well, no, gum isn't "readily available to purchase" either. You can buy at the dentist, not sure where else. You CAN bring it in, you cannot import it for sale.

Definitely take a look at the laws. They have some heavy duty fines for things and drugs are a crime punishable by execution at a certain level, so a DEFINITE no-no.

Only the dentist sells gum? That made me laugh.
It's been interesting reading about Singapore. If it wasn't for the long flight, I'd love to visit.

It's been interesting reading about Singapore. If it wasn't for the long flight, I'd love to visit.
Right? It's some crazy incredibly minty one they justify as medically necessary or something. I assume it's sugar free.

We are getting ready to fly home to do househunting over winter break (moving next summer) and I am DREADING that flight again. It's so long. I am glad we've been able to see this side of the world because I can't say I'd be signing up for that flight for vacation! If you come, go to multiple places to make it worthwhile! It's lovely here, but also incredibly small. But the short hops to other amazing places is AWESOME.

This was in the early 80,s but landed there for the night in a Naval Plane, before they let us off plane , there Military marched around plane 2 times, with machine guns holding a sign "drop your drugs or drop dead" :crazy2:

Yes, the flight was a killer (19 hours, 50 minutes from San Francisco, with a one hour stop in Hong Kong for refueling). But, we combined it with a trip to Bali. Once in a lifetime kind of thing, and it was amazing. Both places were beautiful and interesting. The flight wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Left San Francisco at midnight, so we were able to sleep some pretty easily, and the service on Singapore Air is beyond anything you've experienced with a US based carrier. I want to do it again, but my husband is not down for doing it again. LOL. I've got to find another travel companion. Airfare is expensive. Singapore is pretty expensive, but Bali was cheap, cheap, cheap. We were gone for about a month, and the whole trip cost my family of four around $15,000.....which is a LOT, but that's about $1000 each per week, and you can't do Disney for that. :-)

Well hello, Ms. Keri. :) Old neighbor here. (Vicki) HA! Miss living and having fun with you!

JBA2, what a great experience for your son! Only 4 months?? Has he looked into a serviced apartment? They are fully furnished and maintained and a great option for such a short transit. We moved home from Singapore 3 years ago and things change quickly there, but some good serviced apartments were Great World Serviced apartments, Treetops, and I'm sure Keri could name a few.

The night life seems to hover around Clarke Quay and maybe now down at the Marina Bay Sands, although it would be pricey down by the marina. Young adults tended to go out at Clarke Quay.

It's safe but like anywhere you need to be watchful. Great food and lots of interesting places to explore on the island.

Good luck to your son! Keri, I'd love to meet up again when you repatriate, friend! Girls trip to Disney with Lori!

Keri, I'd love to meet up again when you repatriate, friend! Girls trip to Disney with Lori!
Yes please!! Maybe not next summer (lordy, all the expenses of moving home are already freaking me out! ha!) but SOON!!!

Thank you all so much for the wonderful information. It sounds like a great place. My husband and I are hoping to visit him while he's there.

Is anyone familiar with Singapore? My son will be going there next month to work for four months. He has a co-op placement there but his work place is not able to help with accommodations. I would like to know where affordable, safe places to live are. TIA
My son WAS supposed to be going first week of January for 4 months to Nanyang Technological University but his school messed up and the U will not allow him to take upper level physics courses necessary for him to graduate. We are lucky we hadn't yet bought his flight. He was going to living in on campus housing but there was no meal plan.

Sorry I can't help with housing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter