Since I know how much you guys love crazy shower invitations...

Jeafl

<font color=red>Has an emergency auto hammer & kno
I got one in the mail today. It is for my cousin's son and his bride-to-be. It appears that the bride's mother is throwing it for her, which was surprising in itself, but a little card with this gem was enclosed with the invitation.

"As you share in our special day please keep in mind that everyone's tastes are different. Therefore, we respectfully request money or Amazon gift cards only"

Just when you think you've seen it all...

The shower is from 12:00 to 4:30. What the heck do you do for that long if there are no gifts to open?? I think I will pass on this one, especially since I haven'tseen my cousin or her son in years and have never met the bride.

I got one in the mail today. It is for my cousin's son and his bride-to-be. It appears that the bride's mother is throwing it for her, which was surprising in itself, but a little card with this gem was enclosed with the invitation.

"As you share in our special day please keep in mind that everyone's tastes are different. Therefore, we respectfully request money or Amazon gift cards only"

The shower is from 12:00 to 4:30. What the heck do you do for that long if there are no gifts to open?? I think I will pass on this one, especially since I haven'tseen my cousin or her son in years and have never met the bride.

Ha! That's so outrageous that it's almost fantastic. I think the use of "respectfully" is probably my favorite part.

Just take your mother in law with you. Have her pick out the best present for the bride to be she can ;)

Oh. Wow.

Never been to a shower were there were no gifts!!

Respectfully? Um, tacky is more like it!

That would definitely go in my "decline" pile. So crass!

Just take your mother in law with you. Have her pick out the best present for the bride to be she can ;)

Great idea Tina! I think I will ask my mother in law to shop for me. Of course then I would have to actually attend the shower because I wouldn't want to miss the bride's face when she opens it. Something tells me it would be the highlight of an otherwise boring shower. Who wants to sit and watch the bride open envelopes for 4 1/2 hours anyway?

Enough! Haven't we had enough dreadful etiquette on the DIS lately? :laughing:

That's just obnoxious. Yeah, "respectfully" makes it OK. NOT.

Send her an etiquette book with a note declining the invite tucked into the page about dictating gifts.

Great idea Tina! I think I will ask my mother in law to shop for me. Of course then I would have to actually attend the shower because I wouldn't want to miss the bride's face when she opens it. Something tells me it would be the highlight of an otherwise boring shower. Who wants to sit and watch the bride open envelopes for 4 1/2 hours anyway?

I think you should tell your MIL that the bride to be needs a complete set of dishes for 12 and she likes "off the wall" kind and let her loose on the world:rotfl:...I would imagine that would take 4 hours to open all the things your MIL could find.:thumbsup2

So, what will the bride do? Open all the gift cards and announce who gave what amount? How utterly awful on so many levels...people will be embarrassed or angry.

I think you should tell your MIL that the bride to be needs a complete set of dishes for 12 and she likes "off the wall" kind and let her loose on the world:rotfl:...I would imagine that would take 4 hours to open all the things your MIL could find.:thumbsup2

Don't tempt me! It's flea market season up in Michigan and who knows what she'll find! This might be entertaining after all...

It doesn't matter how nicely they tried to word it. It is basically saying, " I am picky so please don't buy me anything because I think everyone invited has terrible taste."

I wonder what the bride thinks?

Don't tempt me! It's flea market season up in Michigan and who knows what she'll find! This might be entertaining after all...

We could totally brain storm and find the best "theme" for these new dishes AND now serving dishes as we are being generous to the new family.
I'm thinking roosters and corn for a theme...very country :) Imagine the delight of your MIL to help with such gift giving.

ETA: OOOOOH, Jill!! What about family sweaters for the holiday season!! They are new and in love and should be celebrating with matching sweaters!

Can you just send (drop off) your mother-in-law as your proxy?

Enough! Haven't we had enough dreadful etiquette on the DIS lately? :laughing:

That's just obnoxious. Yeah, "respectfully" makes it OK. NOT.

Send her an etiquette book with a note declining the invite tucked into the page about dictating gifts.

::yes:: With the other end of the note tucked into the page about immediate family members not hosting the shower?

In all seriousness, the point of a shower is to "shower" the guest of honor with gifts. Perhaps the hostess wants cash so you all can make it rain?

What happened to just getting gifts and being happy. I was just invited to a baby shower,where on the invite it said wishing well* please bring size 2 diapers. She is registered for diapers and now they want me to bring them for a wishing well. Maybe it's just me but I thought wishing wells were for small items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter