• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Simpsons v. BTTF (Motion Sickness)

dsw13

Earning My Ears
Tried asking this in the general motion sickness thread and did not get a response. I know that The Simpsons Ride uses the same ride system as the old Back to the Future ride, but cannot seem to find out whether it is more likely to cause motion sickness. I seem to see more complaints about motion sickness with The Simpsons than I recall seeing for BTTF, but then again, I didn't really frequent a theme park board back when BTTF still existed.

Anyone here not have problem with BTTF but can't handle the Simpsons? If so, has your tolerance for motion rides in general lessened with age, or is there just something about the Simpsons ride that does you in? My daughter's three favorite rides are Star Tours, Soarin', and Test Track, but she generally does not like coasters. She saw the video of the Simpsons and is fine with the simulated coaster aspect, but I'd hate to have her day ruined by motion sickness. Having done BTTF with no problems myself, and knowing the types of rides that bother her (she can handle the teacups whereas I get nauseous just thinking about it) I feel pretty good that she would be ok if the Simpsons is similar to BTTF. Hence, the subject of this thread.

They are very similar. The difference is that BTTF and Star Tours you are 'flying'. That gives a smooth ride, up and downs are nice. The Simpson's video is more 'grounded'. The whole thing is well done with video that might even be better looking than BTTF. The car you are in feels like it is a real car, heavy and smashes alot into other things in your path. Those jerky moves are what shakes my head.

Otherwise, no where near as sickening as the teacups or carousel...IMHO.

Thanks. Nice observation on the flying versus grounded. Had not even thought of that. If that's the biggest difference, I'm guessing we'll be ok (famous last words :))

I have Meniere's disease and am very prone to motion sickness and vertigo and was very apprehensive about all of the Universal rides when we went 2 years ago, but I didn't have trouble with any of them including Simpsons.

I have Meniere's disease and am very prone to motion sickness and vertigo and was very apprehensive about all of the Universal rides when we went 2 years ago, but I didn't have trouble with any of them including Simpsons.
i have that condition also.......
i look at my feet if i think the up and down coaster portion will effect me.
so far, no issues with setting the meniere's off.

i have that condition also.......
i look at my feet if i think the up and down coaster portion will effect me.
so far, no issues with setting the meniere's off.

WOW! I feel for both of you. Dealt with this on my mom for about a decade. Her one ear finally went deaf and she has been doing all the rides with us ever since the hearing nerves are gone. What a mixed blessing.

My DH doesn't do coasters either and often gets a little queasy. He can handle one go on Star Tours but sits out any re-rides. He sits out Mission Space now after riding it once. Soaring doesn't trouble him. He enjoyed Simpsons but it made him pretty queasy after that. He handled stuff like Transformers better although it still affected him a little. He thought Minions was great but declined re-rides.

On the other hand, Gringotts was smooth as silk and he had no issues riding it 2x in a row! (We did it 4 times during our trip) if she loves Test Track, Gringotts should be great (she just has to get past that initial first (short) drop...which even my "no drops" DS was able to handle just fine.

The first day on Forbidden Journey was okay but when we re-rode it 2 days later (only 1 hour after Transformers), he was pretty sick for 1-2 hours after.

I would say - give Simpsons a shot, but no motion simulators 2-3 hours before the ride or 2-3 hours after the ride and no meals before either.

We were there this past weekend and never got around to The Simpsons Ride, but based on how she handled other rides, I think we'll be safe to try it next time (we picked up power passes and plan on going back in late August). I always thought that you shouldn't go on simulators either right after eating or on an empty stomach, but somewhere in between.

Sorry you didn't make it on The Simpsons (it really is an awesome, super fun ride) - good thing you got those Power Passes (isn't it a ridiculously good deal?). We're headed back too - this time in early September for Labor Day weekend.

I am somewhat prone to motion sickness, especially on simulators. The Simpsons ride made me very nauseous and I could not shake it for the rest of the day. I will never do that one ever again. I don't do the Teacups at all. I do Star Tours and Mission Space (orange), and they both do make me a little queasy too, but to me they are worth it.

Don't get me started on the Simpsons replacing BTTF. BTTF was my favorite ride of all time. Simpsons is entertaining but it's not a must ride for me.

Can't give you my personal experience because I didn't do the Simpsons ride but a team member in the Simpsons food court (?) talked to me for pretty much my whole meal and said it makes a lot of people sick and he sees at least one person a day vomiting after the ride.

Last time I rode BTTF I was pretty dizzy afterwards. Now the ride is Simpsons and doesn't seem as bad. This trip I took dramamine every day and had no problems with any of the rides.

BTTF was way worse for me. I think it was because it was really rough as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter