• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Simple Thing a Cast Member Did...

I always have mixed feelings about threads like these....I can't NOT read them because they are so darn cute, but they are also always a reminder to me that in four trips in three years, NOTHING has ever happened to us! LOL!
Not so much as a cookie for my kids, even when we were there ON my DSs birthday and he was walking around with not only his birthday pin, but the special "It's My Birthday" ears we got him.

We always have smiles on our faces, are often wearing "themed" shirts, my kids are polite and respectful, and we are the types to say "no problem" when we wait 45 minutes past out ADR time with small hungry kids. We've often given leftover FPs to incoming families on our way out of a park, etc.
The more I read the more it seems only screaming, or pouty, or unhappy kids get noticed (with some exceptions noted)

I have to be really honest and say that after the last trip I really started to sour on WDW, but we decided to go back...one more time. It's going to be another visit that falls over the same DSs birthday but I won't have any expectations...:sad2:

I know all that just sounded like total "Negative Nellie", but I really do think all the extra magic people get is fun to read about and I'm happy for them.:thumbsup2

The "magic" I listed was having someone get DD and I some napkins in one thread and watching the child in front of us have an amazing interaction with snow-white in another. Sometimes the magic is really really small..like a napkin, yet means the world, and sometimes watching someone else receive the magic is even more rewarding then anything that could have been done for you.

Be on the lookout for the magic--because even if it doesn't happen to you, it is happening all around you. Remember-Disney is a huge, busy place. Not everyone will get the dust...but I hope you get yours ;)

Wow!

This thread was amazing!

It has really gotten me psyched up for our December trip!!! It will be our first time at Disney and really our first real vacation. I am so excited!

Just loving these stories................ Every year we go to CP for breakfast on my birthday and the characters sign a card that the server gives to me.

That's my magic.

My DH laughs because he says I'm like a little kid when I get this card.

I am busy planning our next trip to see the Mouse in Sept 2012, and reading these posts inspired me to post about two special instances where experienced a little magic.

The first time was during our first trip back in 2005 I think, the first year Disney offered the Military Salute tickets. It was just DH and I, and his cousin and her husband. No kids yet! As we entered the Magic Kingdom that first morning, the CM who scanned our tickets saw that it was a military comp ticket and he thanked DH for his service and asked if it was his first time at Disney (it was). He then asked DH if he would like to be the "Veteran of the Day" (Duh), and we were told to return to meet him at the flagpole at 5pm. When we returned, he was instructed how to march in with the honor guard (the CM who asked him was a member), and DH got to march in behind the Marching Band and stand at a salute with the guard while they raised the flag and the National Anthem was played. It brought a tear to my eye. Then the introduced him, told his rank, hometown and presented him with a special picture of him with the honor guard, a certificate and special VOTD pin. It was a true honor!

The second time was last year when we took our 5 year old daughter to the BBB for her birthday. She became Jasmine and was THRILLED to walk around all day in her jingley costume. As we were returning to the hotel that evening, she let out a howl and began crying because one of the Jasmine brooches had come off one of her shoes. Sigh. The next morning we returned to BBB with the shoe and asked if they might be able to replace the brooch or could we please purchase a second pair since our daughter was distraught. The CM asked us to wait a moment, as she took her shoe in the back, and returned with a brand-new pair, free of charge. Then she took my daughter back and proceeded to touch up her hair (It of course was still in the bun from the day before, as she had wanted to try and wear her crown a second day, but was a little disheveled). She made it look perfect again, placed her crown perfectly and gave her another jewel for her face and another generous sprinkling of pixie dust and glitter. We will never forget how such a small kindness can go such a long way! Can't wait to plan next year's trip!

When we were at HS, my DD (4 at the time) was afraid of Buzz and Woody. When we were in line a CM asked her if she was excited to meet them and she said no. The CM kept checking in with her to see how she was doing. When it was our turn, she didn't want to go up to them with us. We told her that was fine and she waited next to the photographer while DH, DS and I went to get our pictures taken. Then the CM said to DD, "I bet you could sneak into the picture when Buzz and Woody aren't looking!" Buzz and Woody turned around and pretended to not pay attention. DD sneaked into the picture and we got a full family shot. After we stepped out the door, the CM came over and said that she was so proud of DD. She even gave her a pin. DD was so happy.

We made sure to stop at Guest Relations on our way out and give her a nice write up. :goodvibes

Sorry about the bad grammar in the title! :lmao:
I love reading this post. We took our first trip to WDW back in Oct., and just had the BEST time!! It was a family reunion and I was there with my 5 year old son. We didn't have any of the "Big" magic happen either, but like others have said, it was the small things that I remember most.
For some reason, my son had become obsessed with Expedition Everest before we went. Could not wait to ride it! We did Animal Kingdom first and headed straight to EE. He loved it and later in the day we came back for one more ride. Unfortunately it was closed. The CMs told us that it would open but they weren't sure when. One CM saw the look of disappointment on my son's face and sat down to talk to him - he told him the Yeti had escaped and the CMs were trying to catch him before they could open the ride! My son ATE IT UP! He was fascinated and spent the time waiting with the CM pointing out Yeti "clues" as to where he might be - I think my son actually thought he saw the Yeti moving about the "mountain" a couple of times! :lmao: Anyhow, the ride opened again after about 20 minutes, but instead of that 20 minutes being filled with an impatient, whiny 5 year old, it flew by with a fascinated and engaged 5 year old!! As parents, I think we can all agree that any interactions that make life easier for the parents (as well as the children), is magical!!! :rotfl2:
This is just one of the few examples I have. So many magical memories - DS battling Darth Vader at Hollywood Studios, a CM outside of HM during MNSSHP taking extra time to talk to my son, who was dressed as Luke from Star Wars (I have the best picture of her getting down on his level to talk to him, I love it) and one that doesn't include a CM, but one of my favorite memories anyways. We stayed at OKW and on our way to MNSSHP we saw a child who was my son's age dressed as Darth Vader. As I said, my son was dressed as Luke. They kept eying each other throughout the bus ride while the adults smiled at one another - as soon as the bus pulled up to MK, both boys jumped off the bus and pulled out their lightsabers!!!!! :rotfl2: They "battled" each other for about five minutes before declaring a truce and shaking hands!! This was completely unplanned or set up by the parents - the boys completely did this on their own! Again, I have GREAT pictures of them "battling." One of the things I was so impressed with (with both my son and the other child), was that it didn't get out of control. Neither one was hitting hard with their lightsabers, they knew it was all in fun, and everyone (adults included) were cracking up as we left. What a great start to a perfect evening!!!
Wow, sorry so long - the memories just came pouring back as I was typing! :lovestruc:

Love, love, love this thread!! This is what sets Disney apart from any other vacation place in the world. :goodvibes

Here are my moments, not necessarily CM's going out of their way for me, but things that made my trips special.

1) On a family trip about 5 years ago, my (then future) SIL and I were sitting on the Main Street curb watching the SpectroMagic Parade. One of the little fish floats came up right in front of us and winked! She and I gasped at the same time and started laughing. It was so surreal!

2) My BFFs and I were on our first "solo" trip with out any parents. We were going to the Hoop-de-doo for dinner and were a little worried cause we had made our reservations late. As the hostess was taking us to our table, we were trying to figure out how far away from the stage we would be sitting. But one surprising turn and she led us to the table right in front of the stage!!! :eek: We couldn't stop OMGing and kept asking the hostess if she was just joking with us, but she just laughed. Being that close was like watching a whole different show. My friends and I still squeal when we talk about that night. :)

3) While on the same trip with my friends, we got autographs and pictures with Alice. I accidentally took a picture of my finger :-)rolleyes:) and started laughing. Alice asked what I did and insisted I take a picture of her finger as well, but she took a pen and drew a smiley face on it first. She named her finger Mr. Bimble and had us all :rotfl:the whole time. Mary Poppins was only a few yards away and Alice yelled over, "Mary, I've got a Mr. Bimble!" in her perfect British accent. I still smile everytime I see the picture.

In May of 2009, we took our sons (aged 2 and 4) to WDW for the first time. We did the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Fare. ALL of the characters were fantastic! DS4 got to dance with Cinderella and she spent a lot of time with the boys. DS2 loved Anastasia and DS4 read Drizella the riot act for tearing Cinderella's dress! They hung out at our table for a good 10 minutes. Then the kissing started...Cinderella kissed DS4 and Prince Charming came over to "see the boy who was trying to steal his Princess". It was absolutely amazing.
We went back to WDW that next September and did the dinner again; it was the same Cinderella! And she remembered the boys! She walked right up to the table and said, "Hello, Jack! It's wonderful to see you again!" Talk about a happy 4 year old! It probably helped that he was totally in love with her...;)

I don't have any really "magical" memories but in 2008, when our DD was nearly 3, we ate dinner at Royal Askerhaus so she could see all the princesses. We were on the meal plan and since she wasn't 3, we had to order for her or let her eat from our plates. Our CM must have overheard us trying to decide what to get that she would eat too (not enough of an appetite to get her own plate) and said that she would be happy to bring us something for DD. She brought us a grilled chx breast and steamed veggies, no charge. It was so nice! :goodvibes

Oi...I am so enjoying this thread! Makes me sooo happy :)I have a few memories. On my family and I first trip to wdw for easter,we were in magic kingdom,walking up main street when my little brother and grandfather were pulled aside by the barber shop quartet. They sang happy birthday to them. It was really special.
On that same day a random stranger gave my sister 5dollars for her birthday. She was very happy about that.
On a later Disney trip,my family and I were in Epcot. We were eating at the Rose and Crown and just finishing up. We were discusing what we should do next. We decided to split. Kids were gonna ride more rides and parants were to walk around world showcase. Our meeting place was to be right in front the rose and crown at 8pm. When the time came to meet my parents weren't there.we waited for a wee bit but still no mom and dad. I decided to try to call them with a pay phone but I didn't have the change. I asked a close vendor for change and she gave it to me no problem. Unfortunately my mom didn't hear her phone go off. Well knowing better than to run off my siblings and I just stayed there. Set up for Illuminations were starting and we were told to move by the manager of Great Britain. We told her our dilemma and she used her walkie talkie to call over a cop of some sorts. He was so polite and nice. He took my two younger siblings to a roped off place to watch the fireworks while my older sister and I walked around looking for our parents with the manager. When we got back around to Great Britain the fireworks were over and there were our parents. M dad had decided to wait for us by the bridge that separates future world and world showcase but never saw us and decide to stay there for the fireworks. I was so thankful tho for the cop staying with my younger sibs and the manager keeping me calm and helping us.

In one of the babycare centers, a college cast member helped out a mom with a teenage daughter who was profoundly disabled. The girl needed to be changed and needed some privacy and the mom was grateful for the help and said so. The CP'er who helped them was very young, but she seemed to know how to do the right thing. I was really impressed.

That meant more to me and said more about Disney CMs than anything else could.

I teach children who are profoundly disabled. Because I have them for years at a time, I become quite close to the families and sometimes help with the kids outside of school hours. For 2 of our girls who were leaving school because they were 21, another teacher and I took the girls on an overnight "senior girls trip". Let me tell you, that trip gave me a new found appreciation for their parents. I was used to changing my students in places that were made just for that purpose-school or home. When we went out of town I realized how something as simple as a fun outing for a family can turn into something very difficult. I never could find a place at the zoo to change the girls. It's good to know that the CM was so helpful to that mom-coming from experience I know how grateful that mom must have been.

Some more reverse pixie dust for you! :goodvibes

I was a PhotoPass Photographer during my college program in the spring of last year. My third week there, I had two amazing experiences with guests. This is copy and pasted from my blog from that week.

Last week I was at the entrance in the late morning and this little girl, about 7, and her mom were getting situated to take a picture but were waiting on the dad to get a stroller. While waiting, the girl said "Oh, your name is Marina. Do you speak spanish?" and I said no and she started teaching me spanish words for some of the stuff around me or some things I may need to know when taking guests pictures. It was very sweet. Dad shows up, we take a bunch of pictures, I give them their card, say adios, and they leave. After walking about 30 feet, the girl starts yelling "Oh no! I almost forgot! Mom, wait!!!" and she comes running back over to me and she says "MARINA! Don't forget! When the fireworks start, make sure you have your BEST wish picked out, okay? I'll use my wish for you!!". I could have cried, it was the most adorable amazing thing ever.

Then a few days ago, I'm working entrance again and this elderly man walked up to me. At the entrance of Epcot, we have a huge sculpture called Leave A Legacy. Its a discontinued service but you used to be able to buy a little inch x inch plate with your picture on it to be put on the sculpture so in the years to come you could see what you looked like and remember that trip. One of the sections of the sculpture was covered with a construction tent. The man came up to me and said "Is there something wrong with that section? My wife's legacy is there and she passed away last month. I'd really like to see her." I didn't know what they were doing to it so I walked him in the direction of Guest Relations to see if they could help him out. He said thanks and went in and I walked back to the entrance to finish my assignment there. I finished out the rest of the day in other places in the park and my closing assignment was at the entrance again hours later. Who should come walking up but that man and he said "There was a crack in the foundation of that section and they moved her picture front and center inside the building so I could still see her. She's very well taken care of here and I feel very well taken care of by you. Thank you sweetheart. I'll be sure to visit you the next time I visit my wife's legacy as you're a part of it now."

Homesick and overwhelmed after picking up my life and moving to Florida, these guest encounters definitely made me feel as though I had made the right choice in coming to Disney World! :lovestruc

We were pin trading with one of the "kid only" CM traders when both of my daughters (2.5 yo and 6 at the time) pointed to the same winnie the poo pin. I said to my older one to maybe see if there was another one she would trade for as her younger sister loved winnie the pooh. She quite nicely picked another pin.

As we started to walk away, the CM said to my older daughter that she was so impressed with how she let her little sister have her choice that she had a present for her. She gave her a "special" winnie the pooh pin she had in her pocket that she could only get at AK. Don't know if that part was true but it made dd's day.

She's very well taken care of here and I feel very well taken care of by you. Thank you sweetheart. I'll be sure to visit you the next time I visit my wife's legacy as you're a part of it now."

Thanks for sharing! Very sweet.

One year after the last villains show at MNSSHP my DS 5 waited to see Captain Hook. There were very few people around after the later show. The CM with Hook gave my son a plastic sword and told him to fight Hook. Maleficent was standing near by and began to cheer on my son. She then walked up to him and asked him questions like where was he trained to fight. It was wonderful, my son was so proud.

We just got back 2 weeks ago, and one thing that my kids still talk about was 'getting an elevator all to ourselves'. One night we (my 2 kids, my 2 nieces, me and my BIL) decided to go on the ToT since there wasn't much of a line...the usual 13 minutes. My DH and DSis were too chicken so they stayed behind. When we got to the elevators, the CM saw how much fun we were having as a group, and she whispered to us "do you want to have an elevator all to yourselves?" She told us to say 'pretty please' which we did, and she gave us the whole elevator..even though there were several people behind us (not many, but enough to fill the rest of the elevator). It was the best picture. We are all in the front row and we have our arms in the air, and it's just us! It was cool! She was a great CM to give us such a magical moment!

Last Christmas, I gave my wife and daughter (19 months at the time of the trip) a trip to WDW.

In February, the Saints shocked the world and won the Superbowl, and we're HUGE Saints fans (DD and I, wife not so much). Needless to say that on the trip I wore Saints gear EVERYWHERE.

On the day we had scheduled to go to MK, we had a character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. I wanted a pic of the three of us in front of either the castle or the train station with all of us in our Superbowl Champions shirts, so that was the day we wore them.

At breakfast, Mary Poppins came over to talk to DD, and asked her about her jacket (Princess hoodie). My DD looked down, saw the Fleur De Lis on her shirt and said "Touchdown". Mary laughed, made a joke about her hanging out with me too much, and then asked her something else, to which she replied "WHO DAT!".

Well... my wife lost it. I lost it. Mary Poppins absolutely lost it. She hung around for a couple more minutes for pictures, then got up and went to find Alice and brought Alice back to the table and introduced her to my DD. And being the ham she is, she did the "WhoDat" again for Alice. Both characters stayed at the table way longer than they needed to playing with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter