Simple, fun holiday treats and snacks

Family Fun Mom

<font color=green>No longer tagless... my wit has
What is your favorite, easy holiday recipe for treats and/or snacks? I'm looking for easy ideas that I can get my kids involved in that won't break the bank or require extensive kitchen time. I'm thinking Chex mix, cookies, pigs in a blanket... you know fun foods and treats. What do you usually make?

Put Hershey Kisses on top of square pretzels in the oven and heat at a low temp until the Kisses are soft. As soon as they come out of the oven, put a M&M onto the Kiss. You can do the same thing with Rolos and a pecan.

I read about a new-to-us treat I'd like to try this year. Put peanut butter in a bugle, and then dip the end of the Bugle (where the PB is) in chocolate.

Oreo truffles are a huge hit, too!

www.familyfun.com has ideas for cupcakes, cookies, etc.

Put Hershey Kisses on top of square pretzels in the oven and heat at a low temp until the Kisses are soft. As soon as they come out of the oven, put a M&M onto the Kiss. You can do the same thing with Rolos and a pecan.QUOTE]

:thumbsup2 These always go really quickly when I make them for parties. For some reason, everyone really loves them.

How about a quick and simple gift for the kids to make: buy pretzel rods and the melting chocolate bits. Melt the chocolate, dip the pretzel rod about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way in the colored chocolate and then roll in sprinkles, chopped nuts or other toppings of your choice and let it harden. Here's a recipe for an idea: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crazy-dipped-pretzel-rods/detail.aspx

Muddy Buddies (also called Puppy Chow), or peanut butter kiss cookies (Roll peanut butter cookie dough into balls and bake in mini muffin tins. When the cookies come out and are still hot, press an upside down Hershey Kiss into the center of each one, then put in the refrigerator to cool).

All of the posters above this one, have put things that are all on that link I sent you ,and listed above, plus many more that I never would have thought of or found without the DIS!

Pixiedust, at what temp and for how long? Those cookie/candy are a must try! Thanks.

Christmas Crack (named for it's addictive properties):

A bag of chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk) melted in a large bowl.

Stir in a cup or two of Rice Krispies.

Add in a bag of mini marshmallows.

Can add nuts or coconut if you like.

Mix until everything is thoroughly coated and mixed together, then dump it out on a large sheet of wax paper and place another sheet of wax paper on top. Press the mixture flat between the two sheets until it's about 1/2" thick and it will spread about a foot-foot and a half wide. Stick in fridge to set. After about an hour it will have set and you can cut it up into bar size pieces.

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I'm gonna have to make the pretzel/Hershey Kiss thing!

I was going to suggest chocolate covered gummy bears, but they are time consuming (if you make them the way I do - individually dip the gummy bear into the chocolate - a toothpick in the bear helps a lot!). I dipped gummy bears for over 2 hours for my son's upcoming party this weekend. I love them, so to me it was worth it - and they are always a big hit!

The pretzle kisses are wonderful. They are simple, quick, festive and delicious.

Made them for an office lunch party and everyone loved them. Salty and sweet. You couldn't eat just one. :thumbsup2

I don't have a set recipe for the pretzel/Hershey Kiss treats. I just put them in the oven (about 250*) until the Kisses are soft enough and take them out to place the M&Ms. It's a nice combo of sweet and salty.

Easy "not" cookies = church windows. I don't have the recipe on me right now, but there's no baking. Just chocolate, colored mini marshmallows, coconut and your microwave.

For a non-sweet option, what about cocktail meatballs? I make mine in a crockpot. There's a ton of simple recipes online.

Chocolate Covered Peanuts

Melt in microwave: one 12 oz. bag each of semi-sweet, milk chocolate and white
chocolate chips

Add: one jar of dry roasted peanuts. Stir to coat peanuts.

Spoon by teaspoonful onto waxed paper and set in fridge. Easy and tasty.

My mother's coworker makes pretzel/Rolo sandwiches...

Microwave the Rolos (unwrapped) for just a few seconds, enough to soften them but still keep their shape.
Press them between 2 square-shaped pretzels (square with a cross inside...the kind with 4 small squares).
Put on wax paper to cool.

Put Hershey Kisses on top of square pretzels in the oven and heat at a low temp until the Kisses are soft. As soon as they come out of the oven, put a M&M onto the Kiss. You can do the same thing with Rolos and a pecan.

I read about a new-to-us treat I'd like to try this year. Put peanut butter in a bugle, and then dip the end of the Bugle (where the PB is) in chocolate.

Oreo truffles are a huge hit, too!

www.familyfun.com has ideas for cupcakes, cookies, etc.
Square pretzels? My mind is drawing a blank. The only ones I can think of are the ones that have the holes in them, kinda like tic tac toe.

Dip to fancy up a fruit platter

Large tub of Cool whip
Small Individual Strawberry Yogurt

Stir together and plop in a bowl, Serve with fruit.

I made this last year and litterally everyone at the party asked for the recipie.

I HATE yogurt, I don't even like frozen yogurt , yet its soooo yummy in this.

It seems to make the cool whip less sweet, which makes the fruit not taste tart when dipped in it

I got what I needed to make the pretzel/Kisses things but they didn't turn out.

The first batch I way overcooked.

The second batch I tried to push the M&M into the top and it didn't look very pretty.

:(

I am bummed out, and am not trying any other batches.

I am sure I can find some sort of goodie that takes chocolate and pretzels to make!

:)

I got what I needed to make the pretzel/Kisses things but they didn't turn out.

The first batch I way overcooked.

The second batch I tried to push the M&M into the top and it didn't look very pretty.

:(

I am bummed out, and am not trying any other batches.

I am sure I can find some sort of goodie that takes chocolate and pretzels to make!

:)

We find the Rolo version works best, they hold together better, and the addition of caramel is wonderful, we use an almond on top.

For a more natural snack walnuts stuffed inside dates are very good, sweet, nutty, crunch, chewy :)

I found a recipe online for Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies, so I am using the pretzels in them, and the M&M's instead of chocolate chips.

I mixed up a batch, stuck it in the refrigerator, and will portion it out tonight.

The dough smelled so yummy! That salty/sweet combination!

I hope they turn out........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter