silly question re: cheese and bacon rolls...

travelwith4kids

Mouseketeer
Silly question I know but I seriously keep thinking of it and would like to know.

Can you get cheese and bacon rolls in th US, particularly California? As in the breadrolls with the bacon and cheese cooked onto the top, sold individually in bakeries or in 4 packs at Coles/Woolies here.
I ask as it is a great (and cheap) snack/lunch that we sometimes grab our kids (they happily eat them 'as is') when we are out and about and wondering if we will come across the when we go over.

Thanks

I haven't seen the kind of cheese and bacon rolls you're asking about in the US. But then, I don't go looking for that kind of snack/lunch when we're over there.
Bacon is very different in the US. That's something you might have to be prepared for.

Food can be a bit cheaper over in the US compared to here. If you're heading into the supermarkets, you might find other things to snack on.

You might find something similar in Walmart type stores. I know what you mean. In the US flavoured bagels or plain with cream cheese are another grab and go alternative.

Thank you, its not even important and def. not something that would be missed but I was wondering. I'm sure we will find lots of different grab and go snacks for the kids that will fill them up! I do want to avoid restaurants for some meals sometimes as it will get very time consuming with 4 young kids!

Most, if not all, the supermarkets, Walmart, Target etc will have a hot food section. For that reason, I actually like heading to WholeFoods. They have a make your own salad bar, pizza by the slice (or a whole one), hot buffet, hot soup, bakery, sushi, etc that offers enough variety for the whole family. WholeFoods like to offer organic type food; so it is more expensive that the conventional supermarkets. But compared to Aussie pricing, it's still pretty reasonable. Trader Joe's are the other supermarket like WholeFoods.

And if you are a Costco member, take your Aussie Costco card with you. That'll get you entry to the American Costco as well.

One other thing - American bread is sweeter than Aussie bread. Check your food labels if that bothers you and work out which one has less sugar in it. Another reason for why we like WholeFoods and Trader Joe's.

Thanks PrincessInOz! I am hoping to eat out of the supermarkets when ever it is convenient, I thought we might save time, money and hopefully the kids might get some healthy food (I'm sure when we eat out they are going to be getting loads of burgers, fries etc!)
Is it sad that I'm actually very excited to go into the US supermarkets :teeth:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets excited to visit the supermarkets whilst overseas! We found Costco good (and cheaper) there, for prepared pasta dinners, whole chickens etc. We will have a kitchen for part of our stay so I'm really looking forward to doing 'groceries' for my cooking that week!!

I just loved it all! All the different brands and variety. It was all just so exciting LOL

Too right! My mother thinks I'm nuts roaming supermarkets when overseas, and getting excited about cooking different food! She can't understand why I would want to cook when I'm on holidays :goodvibes

I love sussing out the supermarkets overseas. Last year DH and I were so excited about visiting Walmart for the first time. We even found a super walmart and had a blast checking out all the stuff. We took photos, as it was huge, and the sizes of some things were enormous. It took both our children to hold one packet of fruit loop cereal the bag was that big. and they sold Iced Teas etc in 3 litre bottles. So much fun!
We also looooove Whole Foods and ate there often when we could. Some of them have amazing restaurants inside as well as the usual selection of food. The one north of LA on the way to Monterey was simply incredible.

I'm another that gets super excited in supermarkets o/s! I loved Target - I had no idea it had a whole supermarket inside!

We didn't see cheese and bacon rolls (or similar) and found the bread almost inedible - it's so sweet and also soft and floppy. Even when toasted.

There are a tonne of great snacks though for your kiddos to munch on:)

Haha, I was in awe in the cereal isle of Target, like wow, how many confectionery style cereals can you chose from there! I let my kids chose one since they are on holidays but its obvious they don't care about the artificial colours or flavours there yet!

Haha, I was in awe in the cereal isle of Target, like wow, how many confectionery style cereals can you chose from there! I let my kids chose one since they are on holidays but its obvious they don't care about the artificial colours or flavours there yet!

Just like the biscuit aisle. You can have any type of biscuit you want.......as long as it is chocolate chip! :faint:

One thing I have to admit that they don't do well is chocolate. Give me our chocolate, Cadbury or Tim Tams any day, Hershey's isn't a big deal for me especially the regular plain blocks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter