Silly question about snakes...

reaganannies

Earning My Ears
My mother is highly terrified of snakes... she will run someone over to get away if there is one. Are there any rides i need to be aware of that have them in it? Esp at AK... ???

A little silly, but don't need a heart attack on vacation!!

I'm not a big fan of snakes either and for some reason I really noticed them when we were there last week. There are snakes prominent in several rides and attractions........
AK has a walk through animal viewing that has an area where there are snakes in cages. I believe it was the path you take to go see the gorillas. It's the building that has the naked mole rats in it. There are also several other ooky amphibians there as well.

The Great Movie Ride has snakes in it and the Jungle Cruise has some BIG snakes. Those two rides really stood out for me and I'll post if I think of others. LOL

You do know there are live snakes on the Disney property. Just stay on the sidewalks away from the shrubs and water and you should be ok.

And yes, they sometimes get into the lazy rivers at the water parks. I've been in the lazy rivers more than once with a snake (live) who also wanted to enjoy the water. The CM's try to quietly get them out but it can be a losing battle.

Just know central Florida was and basically still is a swamp. There have been a number of threads about the wildlife on WDW property before. (Don't get me started on the spiders - if I saw in person some of the ones people posted photos of, I would die!)

Huge thread on this the other day. It's Florida. There's critters. That said, you probably won't see one. But you could because...it's Florida.

I think you'll be more likely to encounter a live snake in WDW than one on a ride!

In all seriousness, I have a big phobia about live snakes - fake ones don't bother me, but I do have a picture of a fake one from somewhere in AK - once I find it I will post where it was taken so you can know ahead of time! I'm thinking it was over at Rafiki's Planet Watch, but not 100% sure.

Been here for almost two weeks and been watching like a hawk. I'm terrified of snakes as well. Haven't seen A THING! We even walked from Hollywood Studios over to the board walk and I was so scared. No snakes, nothing at all (except ducks)....

I've been to Disney many times and never gave snakes a thought until I read about them here on the boards. When we went in December, I was always on the lookout for them.:scared1: Could have lived happily never knowing they were around! Of course this Dec was so cold, the little buggers were probably hibernating!:lmao:

You didn't say if her fear transfers to FAKE snakes as well. That could make a difference. The live ones exhibited are mostly in AK. Fake ones can be found on the Jungle Cruise, Great Movie Ride, the old Honey, I shrunk the audience 3D (no longer there) but they do have Captain EO and I think the MJ is pretty slimy.:lmao:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any others. I have been to WDW 28 times and I have only once seen a real snake. That was in the evening and he/she (it's so hard to tell from a distance) was leisurely swimming in the river in front of the castle.

Thanks for the responses. She has major fear of all snakes, but i was more worried about fake snakes on rides. I know the possibility of live snakes are high, but we leave in 13 days and I would like to think the little critters are sleeping the winter away.

For the record... i did not click on that link. No need to freak myself out too!!! :eek:

Ya... I shouldn't have opened the link... :scared1:

I don't do snakes either, the only fake snake that has scared me at Disney was the big 3D one in Honey I Shrunk the Audience! EEK!! Never again!

On another note, I have never seen a live snake at Disney (yet...)!

We have seen snakes on the paths before. At least once at AK we have seen a snake, snake, across the walking path. So a snake do the same thing at the NC Zoo too. :)

But it is not likely you will see Mr. No. Legs.

Later,
Dan

Depends..In regards to "real" snakes, it is winter and snakes arent very active now I havent seen any for a couple of months.but come spring and summer they are very active and you may see some.

My mother is highly terrified of snakes... she will run someone over to get away if there is one. Are there any rides i need to be aware of that have them in it? Esp at AK... ???

My mom is exactly like that too!

I've never seen a snake in Disney just the lizards around the hotel. I dont think you'll see any snakes because of all the people but you never know :confused3 just DONT mention it to her or else she might be nervous the whole trip and no one wants that. As for fake snakes jungle cruise and the great movie ride have them but they look so fake it's ridiculous. :lmao: shouldnt be a problem. My mom is ok with them. Oh and in hollywood studios they sell snakes in the indiana jones store, they freak my mom out. On the rides your far away from the fake snakes but up close it's a little different lol

I'd avoid Rafiki's Planet Watch/Conservation Station at AK. They have CMs come out with live animals, often reptiles. Kids stand in line for the chance to touch them. It's very cool, but if someone has a snake phobia, it would be a place to avoid!

We have seen snakes on the paths before. At least once at AK we have seen a snake, snake, across the walking path. So a snake do the same thing at the NC Zoo too. :)

But it is not likely you will see Mr. No. Legs.

Later,
Dan

I was just at the NC Zoo this past weekend... I am so thankful that I didn't see any snakes! I would have died! :lmao:

Snake story (unrelated to this particular thread):

When we were first married my wife owned a horse. When we looked for a house we also needed acreage sufficient to keep a horse on. We looked at this one place that had an open meadow but it was on a hill above the house.

We had to walk up an old grassed over trail to see it. I was walking behind my wife as we wandered up the hill. I happened to glance down at the ground and (I know this is going to sound extreme but it is true) every step that she took created a multiple offshoot of snakes. Just garden snakes but there were literally thousands of them up in that field.

After that all I could think of was what might happen if she had noticed them. She was freeze up afraid of snakes, and she unknowingly was surrounded by them. I knew that if she had seen them I would have the double problem of keeping her from fainting dead away and how I was going to get her back down that trial.

She never looked down and never knew it happened until we were safely back in the car and headed away. Needless to say, that property was scratched off the list.

Now back to the original post.

Snake story (unrelated to this particular thread):

When we were first married my wife owned a horse. When we looked for a house we also needed acreage sufficient to keep a horse on. We looked at this one place that had an open meadow but it was on a hill above the house.

We had to walk up an old grassed over trail to see it. I was walking behind my wife as we wandered up the hill. I happened to glance down at the ground and (I know this is going to sound extreme but it is true) every step that she took created a multiple offshoot of snakes. Just garden snakes but there were literally thousands of them up in that field.

After that all I could think of was what might happen if she had noticed them. She was freeze up afraid of snakes, and she unknowingly was surrounded by them. I knew that if she had seen them I would have the double problem of keeping her from fainting dead away and how I was going to get her back down that trial.

She never looked down and never knew it happened until we were safely back in the car and headed away. Needless to say, that property was scratched off the list.

Now back to the original post.

That story has freaked my out even more than the live snake encounter I had at Typhoon Lagoon.

A PP said that since there are a lot of people at WDW you most likely won't see a snake....sorry but that is totally wrong. They are everywhere at WDW. There are a ton of threads detailing the sightings that people have had. They are in the parks, resorts, DTD...you name it they are there.

There isn't a thing I can think of that's silly when it comes to snakes. You're a good child to take care of your DM like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter