Silliest question/comment you've heard about Disney?

A co-worker of mine returned from a Disney trip today and when I asked her how it was (she knows that I am an over the top Disney fan) she looked at me and sai "ehhhh it was OK... I just think it was too much Disney" Whattttttt?
I'm curious what else she was expecting when she traveled to a place called Walt Disney World. :confused3

I haven't heard much silliness from other guests- just from family members who ask, "Why are you going back? Didn't you just go two years ago?" :rolleyes2

leafE said:
I'm curious what else she was expecting when she traveled to a place called Walt Disney World. :confused3

I haven't heard much silliness from other guests- just from family members who ask, "Why are you going back? Didn't you just go two years ago?" :rolleyes2

Ah, such naïvety! We've been asked why we go for two weeks- and spend so much on it. Apparently 'you must get so fed up with spending so much time in a child's theme park... And why even bother going when your kids are teenagers'
Imagine people's surprise when they see photos of our Disney hotel- SSR- exclaiming 'wow... I thought Disney hotels would be the complete opposite of THAT.'
And of course... The people who call Disney tacky, fake and artificial. And even worse... The ones who like Universal Studios better! Oh, the shame :( ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yes, but folks are entitled to dislike WDW. While I enjoy it, it is VERY commercial. I do have to brace myself for the idea that I'm going to hear Disney music all day and night. I often wake up with a Disney song running through my head....then there was the year we were ar CR, just above Chef Mickeys...the song they play is more or less the word "Celebrate!" repeated over and over interspersed with Mickey Mouse talking...Day one, it was charming...day five, it was torture- especially since it ran all day and night....There was really no way to sleep past 7am, or almost no way go to bed (nap) before almost 10pm. They must have had complaints (not from me), because the music is not quite so loud now. Likewise, as much as I love WDW, Seven days is about my happy limit. Two weeks is too much. Then again, on any vacation, one week in one spot is about as much as I enjoy, not when there are so many other fun places to see in the world.

Sorry, but WDW does have fake versions of real life places. One could get the impression that visiting the Wilderness Lodge is a bit like visiting a fake version of some of America's Great (National Park) Lodges. I sympathize that some folks might prefer a real geyser to WL's version. You could say the same thing about lots of parts of WDW...

Likewise, as much as I love WDW, Seven days is about my happy limit. Two weeks is too much. Then again, on any vacation, one week in one spot is about as much as I enjoy, not when there are so many other fun places to see in the world.

I have to agree with you on time limit. I am shorter fused then you are even. I usually go to Florida for about a week, but never spend more than four days in the parks and never consecutive days. I always have to have time away to really appreciate the place. It's not just being tired of the theme, it's just being tired. I don't spend my everyday life on my feet, walking or standing. I am also not as young as I once was so doing any of those things take its toll on my knees and feet. I need to take a break at least every two days.

But when I think of it...I was pretty much always that way to an extent. As much as I like Disney, I also enjoy some of the other things within reach in Florida. I have visited, the old Cyprus Gardens, Orange Groves, Universal, SeaWorld, Gaterland, Busch Gardens, Sunken Gardens in St. Pete's (when it existed), Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach (looking for Genie), Boch Tower, Silver Springs and even took a two day side trip to Key West once. I guess I have a very short attention span or something.

Probably the general statement about having your arms or head chopped off while riding Space Mountain... It really irks me. If the coaster was like that, it wouldn't be open!

I have a coworker who insists that "Disney World" refers only to Magic Kingdom. I tried explaining to her that WDW = mk, epcot, ak, dhs, dtd, etc etc etc and she just kept repeating "Oh yeah, we have been to Epcot too, but we usually would spend most of our time at DISNEY WORLD." She also has told me many times that they can't go there anymore, her dd (16) is "too old to ride Dumbo all day." The crazy part is that they vacationed there annually when her dd was younger, so she's not a Disney newb!

Overheard at work the other day:

"The Carousel of Progress line was about a 100 minute wait!"

Sorry, I don't believe that for one second. What, did all the other rides undergo maintenance at that time?

P.S. I LOVE the COP ride.

Not exactly silly, but cute funny...When I told DD that WDW is in FL, which is a whole different state, she told me, "but I thought FL was part of Ohio?". My FIL told her she was actually correct bc FL is the southern peninsula of OH. Lol

Oh, and when I was a kid, my parents never took me to WDW because "we don't ride rides". Even as a child I knew there was more to the magic than rides.

the silliest questions i usually hear usually start kinda like this... i'm leaving in 12 days and i just checked the weather and it said.. :rotfl2:

OMG, I think to myself, are you kidding me - how about the ones that post in September and ask what the weather will be like in February?

If I could predict the weather five months in advance, I wouldn't be sitting here working at this desk.

Not exactly silly, but cute funny...When I told DD that WDW is in FL, which is a whole different state, she told me, "but I thought FL was part of Ohio?". My FIL told her she was actually correct bc FL is the southern peninsula of OH. Lol

Isn't Miami University in Ohio? :rolleyes1

Today we were waiting for our ADR at the Plaza. We overheard a guy ask his wife when she thought they would take the "hurricane netting" off the castle now that Sandy had past.:rotfl2: It took all my strength to not turn around an say ummm those are CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!!!:thumbsup2 Apparently this guy thought Disney "secured" the castle with every storm!:confused3

Today we were waiting for our ADR at the Plaza. We overheard a guy ask his wife when she thought they would take the "hurricane netting" off the castle now that Sandy had past.:rotfl2: It took all my strength to not turn around an say ummm those are CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!!!!:thumbsup2 Apparently this guy thought Disney "secured" the castle with every storm!:confused3

No need to, its either taken apart or its lowered into the ground. :rolleyes1

Family to a young child near ToT - "It goes up once, comes right back down and then you get off. It's really easy."

Somebody is in for a huge surprise!

Then a man on the Express Monorail telling another family about the Resort Monorail - "That one stops right in the lobby of that hotel." To which they asked, "Really?" And his reply, "Yeah, you can get off right in the lobby."

The monorail platform is on the 5th floor. Right idea. Wrong floor.

Family to a young child near ToT - "It goes up once, comes right back down and then you get off. It's really easy."

Somebody is in for a huge surprise!

They sure are. I took my daughter on it when she was 4. It scared her so bad that she would not ride much for a long time. She is now 16 and just rode on big thunder mountain for the first time a few weeks ago.

Overheard at work the other day:

"The Carousel of Progress line was about a 100 minute wait!"

Sorry, I don't believe that for one second. What, did all the other rides undergo maintenance at that time?

P.S. I LOVE the COP ride.

Maybe an over exaggeration of how crowded it was.

If that was posted here we would all get the point and be "wow that crowded". :scared1:

leafE said:

I love the "it must be nice" people. Or you spoil your DD...They don't realize that I work hard and don't spend money on crap so I can pay cash for our third trip in three years.
BTW..it is nice and we love WDW.... :)

I love the "it must be nice" people. Or you spoil your DD...They don't realize that I work hard and don't spend money on crap so I can pay cash for our third trip in three years.

it must be nice :rotfl2: sorry i couldnt help myself :banana:

The "It must be nicers" rank right up there with the "Why would you go on the same vacation againers" lol. To which I respond: "Why do you go to the beach/on a cruise/*insert vacation destination* every year? Because you like it. You have fun there. We go to Disney because we like it. We have fun there."

THEJOEL said:

That drives me nuts. We have friends who say that but they smoke a ton, go out a lot and drink a lot and don't vacation. We don't do any of that so their smokes/drink money is our Disney money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter