Signature witness for buying resale?

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
As a buyer, do any of the closing documents need to be overseen by an official witness when signing, or is that just for sellers?

Yes, 2 witnesses and their signature needs to be witnessed by the notary.

I just closed 6 weeks ago

Yes, 2 witnesses and their signature needs to be witnessed by the notary.

I just closed 6 weeks ago
Congrats!

Do the witnesses have to be anyone in particular?
And the notary will stamp this with witness signatures already complete? Or the witnesses need to be in the room too?

I bought a BLT resale contract in 2013, and did not have to have my signature notarized. (I did however need to do so when buying direct, and when buying Aulani resale.)

Witness cannot be related and the witness must sign in the presence of the notary.

My closing agent was Magic Title. Other agents might have a different requirement.

Ugh, I was hoping the answer was no - this sounds complicated!

So I have to arrange for the two of us (joint contract) an appointment with a notary (how do I know when I should book this for?) And do we have to take witnesses, or can someone in their office do that?

You will get an email with the closing documents. That is when you will know. Most notaries handle walk-ins and you have time. It is not like you have to have it back within 24 hours. But the sooner you get it back, the sooner it is closed and recorded.

Do you have an acquaintance who is a notary? Your bank should have a notary on staff. Usually it is a fee service. Go ask them now if they can provide the witness signatures as well.

My office has a notary on staff and I just asked 2 co-workers if they would co-sign. My wife did have to come to the office.

I'm in the UK and I'm not sure "notary" is even a common term here, let alone a walk up one!

Best do some research!!

Thanks!

Good job I've moved, there's none within 20 miles of my old town!

I'll ring and see how long it typically takes to get an appointment (and how much it costs!!)

I'm pretty sure that when we bought resale we didn't need a notary but when we sold we did.

:earsboy: Bill

It can be needed but it isn't usually. It will be needed if you seller is non USA or I think if they still have funding on it.

I needed it for one of my 2 resale purchases

In the UK you have to go to the American consulate to do this if it is requested. Best to make the appointment as soon as you pass ROFR as you can wait up to 3 weeks. you can cancel if you don't need it.

Last edited:
We didn't on 2 resale contracts this year. We did not finance, I think that makes a difference.

We have US sellers and no finance so hoping that helps!!

When will it be confirmed? On the closing docs?

Three of my four resale purchased did NOT require a notary. I really don't think one will be necessary.

We only needed a notary for the one we financed. None of the others needed it. I am 99% sure you won't need it if not financing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter