• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

signature restaurant with kids?

dsnymomx2

Mouseketeer
yay or nay? my kids are 9,6 and 1, I was thinking of using 2 ts credits one night around 5. Which ones are better for kids?

We have taken our FOUR kids to 2 credit meals on every trip.

Artist Pointe
Citricos

This year, we are doing those as well as Flying Fish and California Grill.

Never had a single problem....here are some tips....

1. MOST IMPORTANT!!! MUST have a NAP that day. Everyone, every age.

2. Earliest possible reservation. Just checked our Nov. trip and everyone of our ADR is 5:45 or earlier.

3. Dress up. We find that puts everyone into a different frame of mind.

4. Request an out of the way table....near the door.....near the kitchen. Away from others if possible. near the door allows for a walk if needed.

5. Bring some stuff to do.....books to read, a few crayons. (this is obvious ;) )

You really should have no trouble especially if your kids are familiar with going out and have expectations of reasonable behavior.

Artist Pointe
Citricos

Never had a single problem....here are some tips....

1. MOST IMPORTANT!!! MUST have a NAP that day. Everyone, every age.

2. Earliest possible reservation. Just checked our Nov. trip and everyone of our ADR is 5:45 or earlier.

3. Dress up. We find that puts everyone into a different frame of mind.

4. Request an out of the way table....near the door.....near the kitchen. Away from others if possible. near the door allows for a walk if needed.

5. Bring some stuff to do.....books to read, a few crayons. (this is obvious ;) )

You really should have no trouble especially if your kids are familiar with going out and have expectations of reasonable behavior.

Thank you, this makes me feel much better about it! They are used to going to restaurants so they should behave well.

Artist Pointe
Citricos

What is Artisit Pointe like, atmosphere and food options. We are considering doing with kids next trip.

What made you pick Flying Fish, anything specific or just to try it?

What about Jiko? Anyone able to tell us more about that?

What is Artisit Pointe like, atmosphere and food options. We are considering doing with kids next trip.

What made you pick Flying Fish, anything specific or just to try it?

What about Jiko? Anyone able to tell us more about that?

Artist Pointe is very nice. Quiet atmosphere, food options vary, something for everyone. The mushroom soup, unreal. EVERYONE who can order adult meals just yesterday said they were getting it. Kids menu was your normal Disney kids food plus a few nicer options. Kids all got light up tinkers or Cars toy on their drink which kept them happy........for MONTHS.

We picked Flying Fish based on reviews, wanting to try it, having a few extra days of vacation this year, and each year we attempt to try some new places.

Never tried Jiko......maybe someday. :)

California Grill is probably the most kid friendly. If you get a table near the windows the view if fabulous. They bring out Goldfish crackers with the bread and have one of the most creative kids' desserts in the rice crispy sushi plate, and the observation deck is a nice place to take an impatient/fidgety child for a short walk.

A close second would be Flying Fish. Colorful and fairly loud for a signature, there's a lot to look at and the Boardwalk right there if you need to take the little one out for a breather.

We've been to all but Citricos with our kids (13, 9, and 3), and all the signatures do welcome children. Jiko and Artist Point are a little quieter than the rest, and as I understand it Citricos is quiet as well. The meals are a little longer than at one credit restaurants but our experience has been that most servers know to pace a meal for a family with children a little faster than they would serve the same meal to a childless couple.

California Grill is probably the most kid friendly. If you get a table near the windows the view if fabulous. They bring out Goldfish crackers with the bread and have one of the most creative kids' desserts in the rice crispy sushi plate, and the observation deck is a nice place to take an impatient/fidgety child for a short walk.

A close second would be Flying Fish. Colorful and fairly loud for a signature, there's a lot to look at and the Boardwalk right there if you need to take the little one out for a breather.

We've been to all but Citricos with our kids (13, 9, and 3), and all the signatures do welcome children. Jiko and Artist Point are a little quieter than the rest, and as I understand it Citricos is quiet as well. The meals are a little longer than at one credit restaurants but our experience has been that most servers know to pace a meal for a family with children a little faster than they would serve the same meal to a childless couple.

Solid post. :thumbsup2

We also tell our servers to bring the kids food WITH the adult meals. AND, we tell them, no need drag things out. :)

We have been to the signatures below with DS at age 4 or 5 or both years..... At the end of a busy day... DS is tired and not much problem sitting down and relaxing. We talk about our day, look at pictures I took with the camera, etc... and most have a little something for kids nearby.

Flying Fish - DS loved the boardwalk entertainers (magic, comedy, juggling, balancing, etc.) who performed right outside the restauant (every evening from about 6pm to 10) and was part of one of the magic shows. We had a seat by the window, the restaurant decor has plenty for kids to look at. This is our favorite signature and has the best seafood.

Citricos - The chairs are very comfortable... DS could just really relax. In between courses, I took DS out of the restaurant for a few minutes to give him a break from sitting. Not fussy or anything... just taking a break.... Citricos is in the beautiful Grand Floridian lobby and the band was performing very close by.

Narcoosees - Nice being on the water. DS watched the electric lighted boat parade and the MK fireworks from the little deck connected to the restaurant. Nice treat.

California Grill - you get a great view of the castle if your table is situated right. Never watched fireworks from here but the sunset is very nice. I don't like the walkways off the restaurant outside. It's all cement and the railings have very wide spaces and a bit of a drop to the roof below. Not safe for young children. People smoke out there too.

Jiko - this is a very quiet restaurant. DS was bored. Not much more to say.

Brown Derby - DS liked looking at all the photos on the wall. The food was very good, underrated. It's a busy place and very open so kids fit right in. But there's other more fun places for kids in Hollywood Studios like SciFi Diner and 50s Prime Time. If doing the fantasmic package, we do Brown Derby.

we did signature meals every day during our May trip with our 4yo triplets and everything went really well. You alone know your kids. f they are well behave, go for it but keep in mind that if you do 3 course meals, it will take around 2 hours of your time. That was our average every evening. We always picked early dinners and the girls had to nap to make this work. We had lots of fun trying new restaurants and have decided that DxDDP is the only thing from now on including our trip in a few days because we enjoyed signature meals. We take our time at the restaurant to chill and have family conversations. The girls talked about what they liked and disliked that morning and we would plan the evening during that meal.

Narcoossees, Citircos, Flying Fish, Yachtsman's, Brown Derby....we've taken our kids (now 12, 10 and 8) to all of those for years. Never a problem. All are kid friendly, especially for kids who are used to dining out. Have a great time.

Our favorite is probably Narcoossees. GF is always nice to walk around, location on the water is nice for the kids. Dining room is elegant, yet casual....just noisy enough that the kids don't bother anyone, but not too noisy. Little secret....some of the DW and my best Signature meals have been late reservations here when the kids were a bit younger. By 8:30 they were zonked and slept in the double stroller right next to the table! So late reservation here can work well, especially on a night with MK fireworks at 9:00.

Flying Fish is nice on the Boardwalk, and the dining room is very open and bustling, so the kids fit in quite well.

Citricos and Yachtsman's are a bit quieter, but still plenty kid friendly.

We are headed down next week and will give Artist Point a try.

Only the 1 yr old would be iffy depending on your personal situation. We've taken our DD (when 5 and 6) to LC, Narcoossee's, CG, YSH among others. We've always found all of the restaurants kid friendly. Staff were very attentive and the menus are fine. DD usually gets steak and mash potatoes or chicken breast option. They usually have an activity place mat but we bring something to keep her busy. A small colouring book or now a DS(sound off). DD is not a big eater but that is the case regardless of where we eat. DD skips her appy and might not have dessert but that's ok with us. As long as she has mashed potatoes she happy;) We are fast eaters but it is usually 2 hours for a signiture meal. We always eat at the earliest sitting which is usually 5:30pm. Its seems like there are lots of families on the same schedule because we always see lots of other kids. Some kids are better behaved then others. Like at any restaurant some are visablly tired and not able to sit quietly for a 2 hour meal. You know your own kids best but I'd say give it try. Check out the menus and see which sig would fit your family best :thumbsup2

I totally reiterate everything that was said here. My DD (4.5 now) you could take anywhere almost anytime (with a coloring book). She loves restaurants and is used to eating out. We live in a "vacation" area and eat out often with both friends and family.
now My son (currently 16 months) only possible at 5 5:30 at latest, with LOTS of breaks. He is a very active boy, who just does not like to sit and sometimes does not like to eat that much. Some nights we have a great meal out with him and sometimes its not that great. So again - you know your kids. It is a family destination- so you all should have fun!
-We are looking to do another BIG trip near his 3rd birthday - and I am hoping to do a signature or two then - but its tough pulling my crew away from the parks - so we do a lot of dinners in the world showcase!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter