Side Trip to Fl. Keys....Advice/information needed

kalliyan1

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm looking for someplace to go a few days prior to our Christmas cruise that leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale. We have never been to the Fl. Keys and so I'm considering key west. It looks like the drive would/could be neat. We are going to be renting a car so transportation wont' be a problem.

Can anyone give me advice as to whether this is a good idea or not, what there is to do for 3 days, or any other suggestions as to what to do or where to go.
We are going to Disney end of August so I don't think I cant talk DH into going back.

We are a family of 7, kids ages are 6,8,14,17,18. We do enjoy the water and snorkeling so if that is good in key west that would be good to know.
TIA

There's plenty to do in Key West. We live in Miami but further south and west than the touristy areas, so the drive to Key West is just under 2 hours. We love visiting the Hemingway House, especially the cats. So cute.

We love eating and having drinks at Sloppy Joes (kids are allowed if it's afternoon/early evening). We took a jet ski tour that toured all the surrounding Keys (close to 2 hours, and was great fun!). We took our bikes and left our car at the hotel. We rode everywhere, up and down Duvall Street and to the Southernmost point.

I will add that the "beach" in Key West isn't like your typical beach. It's rocky and small. Unless you stay at a water front hotel that has a beach you will have to go to the public beach with isn't that great. You can book tours like snorleling and other water sports, either on your own or through your hotel, that will take you out to the reefs/wrecks.

Traffic can vary a lot based on time of year and day of the week and much of the overseas highway is still two lanes. It usually takes us 2.5 to 3 hours to get to Key West from Ft. lauderdale. The drive is beautiful.

There's stuff to do along the way to Key West, as well. Mostly diving, fishing or drinking related. Theatre of the Sea in Islamorada is fun, especially if you are traveling with kids. It's like going to Sea World in the 1950s. Very small but they have a lagoon with dolphins/dolphin shows. You can also do a dolphin swim. A seal and walrus show, trained birds, various tropical and water animals. Waaayyyyyyyy smaller and kitschier than Sea World but that's it's charm.

Key West itself has a LOT of things to do. Google "things to do in Key West". Like the rest of the Keys it's mostly about being on the water and/or drinking LOL.

The sunset party at Mallory Square every night is the best free show in town. The hippies started it sometime in the 70s. Basically everyone goes to the western side of the island and watches the sun set. it's evolved to have a lot of street type performers (a little walk down the pier to the Hyatt? where the guy with the trained cats performs is worth it). There are also all sorts of sunset cruises that will get you out on the water to watch the sunset. Little boats you can charter all to yourself all the way up to a big schooner (google Schooner Western Union) that serves wine and hors d oevres while you sail and shoots off their cannons in pretend fights with the other boats out there.

The Conch Tour train is cheesy and touristy but if you are a tourist it's a great way to get a tour of most of the island, a starter dose of Key West history and enough bad jokes to last you a while. :) It's also a good way to figure out what else you might want to do. The main station is near Mallory Square.

Since you'll have a car, when you book your hotel room make sure there's a place to park it. The island is in two parts, "Old Town" is the historic district and it's where most of the cool stuff is. It can also be a nightmare to park there. If your hotel is on Old Town make sure they have some sort of parking. "New Town" is the rest of the island and they actually have parking lots. If your hotel is in new town park your car there and rent a bike or a scooter or take a cab to the Old Town sights.

Nightlife is centered on Duval St. If you are not traveling with kids you can give the "Duval Crawl" a shot. That's starting at one end of Duval and having a drink in each bar along the way as you walk from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean. We usually don't make it far before the lure of air conditioning and a band we like causes us to park in one bar or another.

I can't name them all but if you start from Mallory Square and head toward the Atlantic some interesting onese include:
- the World's Smallest Bar. Whole place is the size of a walk in closet. Great photo op and the last time we were there they were serving frou frou drinks in pineapples and coconuts. You can walk down the street with your drink as long as it's in a plastic cup (or pineapple/coconut) and you aren't too drunk and disorderly.
- Irish Kevin's is raucous and features a steady stream of guys playing guitar/singing to entertain the crowd and yell out to the people on the street. It's fun.
- Sloppy's has already been mentioned. It's the photo everyone has to have.
- Rick's is across the street, a little smaller and lower key. Depends on the band but we've always had a lot of fun there.
- there's a new dueling piano bar that I haven't been to yet.
- The Bull (first floor) the Whistle (second floor) and the Garden of Eden (rooftop bar) are all in the same building and it gets a little wilder the higher in the building you get. Culminates in the clothing optional Garden of Eden on the roof.
- Fat Tuesday's, Flying Monkeys and Lazy Gecko all have cold slushy drinks in the big spinning machines. Flying Monkeys has some awesome seats outdoors right on duval to people watch from.
- The Green Parrot is a block off Duval and a lot of fun but fair warning...no air conditioning. Can be a lot to handle if you're not used to the heat.
- there's TONS more bars

The 800 block of Duval has mostly gay bars. Like pretty much all of Key West, though, everyone is welcome. The Drag shows at Aqua and the 801 Cabaret are a HOOT. Not everyone's thing, though. Very adults only and have a stash of singles on you to tip. Bourbon St pub usualy has male strippers on the bar, you'll need singles for that, too.

Non-drinking activities:

- there are people on every corner tryng to sell you a water excursion. Fury and Sebago are the big ones and we've had great trips with both. Snorkel, sail, fish, dolphin watch, sunset cruise, parasail, jet ski you name it.
- The Martello museum is an old Fort that is now used to house pieces of Key West's past. It's most notable 'resident' is Robert the Doll. A hundred some year old doll that supposedly haunted. If you don't ask his permission before snapping a pic of him he is rumored to visit mischief on you. (google him, too, it's a much longer story.
- Down by mallory square there's the shipwreckers museum, a very very small aquarium, a museum/shop devoted to the Atocha shipwreck and the man who found it. You can even lift a big honkin' gold bar that was part of the treasure.
- There's a butterfly conservatory. haven't been yet but I want to go.
- The Hemingway house
- The cemetery. Yes, I just suggested you visit a cemetery on vacation. :) It's interesting, though. Lots of history and humor amongst the headstones. The most sought after one for pictures or rubbings is the one that says "I told you I was sick". Last time we were there there was also a group of iguanas in residence that were fun to watch.
- there are walking and trolley ghost tours.
- Nancy's Secret Garden (another google) is a tropical garden. Nancy also has quite a few resued birds - big parrot, cockatiel types - that live there.

There's more stuff and I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of things. If you're lucky there will be some sort of event, festival, parade or street fair going on. They occur frequently.

Food! There are some amazing restaurants.
- I love Cuban food and there are many great options. El Meson de Pepe is down near Mallory square. Very good, cool location and if you hit the right night music and dancing.
- El Siboney is smaller, more local, nothing fancy but the food is really really good. Very reasonable, too.
- Several places attached to laundramats where you can get a cuban sandwich and a Cafe con leche. Yummmmmm!
- Blue Heaven is a carribean food restaurant. Very good food and cool set up. You'll probably eat outside and a chicken will likely walk by at some point during your meal. It's in the Bahama Village part of Old Town.
- Frozen, chocolate covered, key lime pie on a stick. Get some. (I like Kermit's but they're all good)
- Oh, Louie's Backyard. Awesome meal and you eat it on a deck overlooking the Atlantic. It's a nicer restaurant but in Key West you can dress pretty casually for anywhere.
- Antonia's has delicious Italian
- Sara Beth's is divine
- Upper Crust Pizza for pizza and China Garden for Chinese - both deliver and are reasonable

Like the bars there's TONS more restaurants.

You can definitely find something to do. Even if you just stroll the lanes of Old Town (or ride your bike or scooter). Beautiful place and most of the locals are awesome people. Have a great time!

***edited: I was so excited to start talking about Key West I zoned on the part of your post that said you would definitely have kids with you. LOL Just forget the bar part of this dissertation. :)

oooh, I just saw that you would be going near Christmas. They take decorating their house for Christmas very seriously there. City wide competition/awards. make sure you ride around to look at the Christmas lights!

and to echo a previous sentiment...the beaches in Key West are meh. Smathers is the man made beach and it does at least have a strip of sand. Fort Zach is a rocky beach but we had a lot of fun there. There are two HUGE rocks just off the beach. Pick up some cheap snorkel gear at kmart and you can snorkel around them. Saw all sorts of creatures.
you'll want to have some sort of water shoe if you go here. Those rocks are tough on bare feet.

I didn't even mention shopping and art galleries. There's plenty of both.

Wow, lots of great ideas and suggestions!

The Keys is a series of different towns ending at Key West. I prefer to stay mid-Keys and take a day trip to Key West. Although there is a lot to do there, with our 6 year old in tow the party culture after dark is a bit much for us. Got to stay to see the sunset in Mallory Square though!

Check out Islamorada or Key Colony Beach. Hawks Cay in Duck Key is a beautiful resort as well. Lots of great restaurants - we LOVE Keys Fisheries in Marathon. Just such a great laid back atmosphere - flip flops and shorts every day - that is the LIFE!

We went to Theater of the Sea last April and really had a wonderful time. Yes it is a bit kitchy but it was clean and well maintained. Our family had a fun day there. Look for some coupons in some of the tourist magazines.

WOW!!!!! You guys r the best. So much information already. Can't wait to look into all the information provided so far. If we stayed somewhere midway where would that be? Also, I wasn't planning on going back to ft. lauderdale until the day the ship leaves, not knowing the drive, traffic, the fact it's Christmas week, is that risky and should we leave the day before and spend the night in ft. lauderdale?
Thanks again. Keep the info coming :)

I haven't been to Key West during Christmas week so I can't speak for the traffic. Winter is their big season, though, as lots of people are trying to escape the cold. Hotel rooms can be pricier and harder to get during winter.

As far as places to stay on the way down - Key largo, Islamorada and Marathon are the larger towns but there are resorts and motels all along the drive. We're always driving thru on our way to Key West but if I was going to stay somewhere else in the Keys I'd probably pick Islamorada.

If you are going to the Keys this year, you might want to book your room soon. You have a large family group and this is really high season down there. Good luck! I will be there myself for a week! :thumbsup2

When I went to Key West my wife and I went Snuba Diving, it's deeper that snorkeling, but you don't have to get certified like you do with scuba diving. Anyways I thought it was pretty cool but there were jellyfish and they stung our instructor and it looked like it hurt, so if you're at all scared of sea life and think you might freak out, I'd think twice about it. My wife was freaking out and almost pulled me right into a jellyfish (2 people are tethered to the same floating air tank) and that was not fun at all.

We like the mid-Keys - especially Islamorada. The best way to enjoy your time in the mid-islands is by boat, look into renting one at least for a day.

Our favorite restaurant is by far Morada Bay. You sit with your feet in the sand, there is a big beach area for the kids to run around, they usually have live music - it is just beautiful. They have a hotel but only a few small rooms I think. We never miss a chance to eat here. http://www.moradabay-restaurant.com/

Our next favorite restaurant in Islamorada is the Lorelai. Great food right on the water. http://loreleicabanabar.com/

We once stayed at a place called Kon Tiki in Islamorada - it has a few duplex style cottages as well as hotel rooms. With your big family maybe you can get two villas that connect and rent the whole house?
http://www.kontiki-resort.com/

Hawks Cay is great - it probably would be best for the diverse ages of your kids. You can rent townhouses and they have tons of activities at the main pool - check out their website.
http://www.hawkscay.com/

And, if you really want to break the bank at a place that I've always wanted to stay - go to the Cheeca Lodge - heaven!! :love:http://www.cheeca.com/

How far of a drive would it be from Islamorada to Key West? If we stayed in Islamorada as our "base" and did a day trip to Key west is what I'm thinking???
So much information. I started looking into hotels and :scared1: very, very expensive.
We will only be staying 1-2 nights at the most instead of the 4, thats for sure!!! I would just hate to be in Ft. Lauderdale and miss the opportunity to go to the Keys, never been so I would really like to go.
Is it realistic to get up in the morning, drive down, spend only 1 night, spend the better part of the next day before we head back to Ft. Lauderdale? Would that give us enough time or should I plan for 2 nights?

We like the mid-Keys - especially Islamorada. The best way to enjoy your time in the mid-islands is by boat, look into renting one at least for a day.

Our favorite restaurant is by far Morada Bay. You sit with your feet in the sand, there is a big beach area for the kids to run around, they usually have live music - it is just beautiful. They have a hotel but only a few small rooms I think. We never miss a chance to eat here. http://www.moradabay-restaurant.com/

Our next favorite restaurant in Islamorada is the Lorelai. Great food right on the water. http://loreleicabanabar.com/

We once stayed at a place called Kon Tiki in Islamorada - it has a few duplex style cottages as well as hotel rooms. With your big family maybe you can get two villas that connect and rent the whole house?
http://www.kontiki-resort.com/

Hawks Cay is great - it probably would be best for the diverse ages of your kids. You can rent townhouses and they have tons of activities at the main pool - check out their website.
http://www.hawkscay.com/

And, if you really want to break the bank at a place that I've always wanted to stay - go to the Cheeca Lodge - heaven!! :love:http://www.cheeca.com/

How far of a drive would it be from Islamorada to Key West? If we stayed in Islamorada as our "base" and did a day trip to Key west is what I'm thinking???
So much information. I started looking into hotels and :scared1: very, very expensive.
We will only be staying 1-2 nights at the most instead of the 4, thats for sure!!! I would just hate to be in Ft. Lauderdale and miss the opportunity to go to the Keys, never been so I would really like to go.
Is it realistic to get up in the morning, drive down, spend only 1 night, spend the better part of the next day before we head back to Ft. Lauderdale? Would that give us enough time or should I plan for 2 nights?

It really depends on what you want to DO, you can SEE most of the keys in a day trip, my wife and I drove down early in the morning and drove back late at night and felt like we got in enough site seeing, but we only really did a couple of meals, snuba diving, and hanging out at the southernmost point.

It takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get to Key West. It's a pretty drive but mostly (or maybe all - I can't remember) one lane so it can be very slow. If you could do 2 nights I think that would be the best. Get there early in the morning and leave later on your last day so you'll have almost 4 days. It is a beautiful place, worth getting out of Ft. Lauderdale to see it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter