Side items instead of dessert

I will share our experience last week with trying to substitute some things according to the new policy. At Columbia Harbor House I was told by a the cast member at the register that I could not have soup instead of dessert. I told her about the new policy and she said she didn't think so, but asked another cast member who told her yes we could. She then rung it up and it worked fine. She was very nice and didn't have an attitude about it, so I think many cast members just haven't been informed of this. If you ask nicely and ask them to just try to ring it up that way at Quick service it will probably just work and they will be surprised. We did this several times with substituting something for drink or dessert. The cast member at Sunshine Seasons knew about the policy and it was fine. The cast member at the Quick service Bratwurst place in Germany was aware of the policy and we had no trouble substituting a potato salad for the dessert with our meal.

When we were there in June it seemed that more cast members were unaware of the new policy, but if I could convince them to just try to ring it up they saw that it worked. Smiling and saying please just try it seemed to work well. I remember doing this at Cosmic Rays and other places. We usually are more likely to want to substitute at Quick service places, because the desserts are generally better at table service restaurants.

When we had dinner at Be Our Guest however the waiter said we could not substitute a soup for our dessert. He said the restaurant did not allow any substitutions. He thought it may be "because we are so new." I could have pressed the issue as I think he may have been confusing my request with substituting a different side when they plate all the meals the same with certain sides, but I kind of wanted a cupcake any way. I hope others will continue to post their experiences with this, and that more cast members will be made aware of how the new policy works.

I will share our experience last week with trying to substitute some things according to the new policy. At Columbia Harbor House I was told by a the cast member at the register that I could not have soup instead of dessert. I told her about the new policy and she said she didn't think so, but asked another cast member who told her yes we could. She then rung it up and it worked fine. She was very nice and didn't have an attitude about it, so I think many cast members just haven't been informed of this. If you ask nicely and ask them to just try to ring it up that way at Quick service it will probably just work and they will be surprised. We did this several times with substituting something for drink or dessert. The cast member at Sunshine Seasons knew about the policy and it was fine. The cast member at the Quick service Bratwurst place in Germany was aware of the policy and we had no trouble substituting a potato salad for the dessert with our meal.

When we were there in June it seemed that more cast members were unaware of the new policy, but if I could convince them to just try to ring it up they saw that it worked. Smiling and saying please just try it seemed to work well. I remember doing this at Cosmic Rays and other places. We usually are more likely to want to substitute at Quick service places, because the desserts are generally better at table service restaurants.

When we had dinner at Be Our Guest however the waiter said we could not substitute a soup for our dessert. He said the restaurant did not allow any substitutions. He thought it may be "because we are so new." I could have pressed the issue as I think he may have been confusing my request with substituting a different side when they plate all the meals the same with certain sides, but I kind of wanted a cupcake any way. I hope others will continue to post their experiences with this, and that more cast members will be made aware of how the new policy works.

I think you need to start a new thread with this report!! Many people are asking, and yours is the best report back that I've seen with clear indications of how to make it happen if the CM is unaware, but it won't be seen by very many here. Please consider starting a new thread, so others can see how it's done.

I think it may also be the fact that the soup is considered an appetizer at dinner instead of a side item. Maybe?

Thank you for this thread!! I also printed up the brochure and will show to cashier if i have to. Having 2 desserts plus a snack each day is too much for my stomach (and calories!! :crazy2:) so it be great to replace dessert with a healthy snack appetizer. Leaving in 12 days!!:flower:

One question...I am going to BOG for lunch...Did anyone succeeded ordering online with a sub of soup instead of dessert? Also, I noticed there is soup in the appetizer section and also in the entree section for same price...Can i just use it as a snack if i only want the soup only? (no drinks or dessert)

Thank you for this thread!! I also printed up the brochure and will show to cashier if i have to. Having 2 desserts plus a snack each day is too much for my stomach (and calories!! :crazy2:) so it be great to replace dessert with a healthy snack appetizer. Leaving in 12 days!!:flower:

One question...I am going to BOG for lunch...Did anyone succeeded ordering online with a sub of soup instead of dessert? Also, I noticed there is soup in the appetizer section and also in the entree section for same price...Can i just use it as a snack if i only want the soup only? (no drinks or dessert)

I would guess you could, since the soup is listed as a snack option.

I meant to keep better track of this! But I do know we substituted sides for desserts at Columbia Harbor House (got soup and french fries), Flametree Barbecue (got onion rings and fries), and Pinnochio Village Haus (got garlic knots and soup). At POFQ we did three snacks as a QS meal for breakfast (2 oatmeals and a muffin).

No question any of these times. Just asked before I ordered and they were all completely fine with doing the substitutions.

I meant to keep better track of this! But I do know we substituted sides for desserts at Columbia Harbor House (got soup and french fries), Flametree Barbecue (got onion rings and fries), and Pinnochio Village Haus (got garlic knots and soup). At POFQ we did three snacks as a QS meal for breakfast (2 oatmeals and a muffin).

No question any of these times. Just asked before I ordered and they were all completely fine with doing the substitutions.

That's great news! I was hoping to get the garlic knots at Pinocchio's and the onion rings at Flame Tree.

We did lots of substitutions last week. Only place we were turned down was France bakery - they were kind of rude there. It was no big deal though.
Also at BOG, you had to get a drink. That was fine - we just wanted soup instead of dessert which was allowed. Beware though - the French Onion soup was amazing and could have been enough to eat for me! I didn't eat half my delicious roast beef sandwich & fries. Too much food!

We did lots of substitutions last week. Only place we were turned down was France bakery - they were kind of rude there. It was no big deal though.
There is still lots of inconsistency. We were able to swap out our dessert for a whole baguette in France last week.

Wow! That is really good to know. I am glad to hear that I can swap side dishes for dessert.

Also at BOG, you had to get a drink. That was fine - we just wanted soup instead of dessert which was allowed. Beware though - the French Onion soup was amazing and could have been enough to eat for me! I didn't eat half my delicious roast beef sandwich & fries. Too much food!

Good to know about BOG we are still on the fence about DDP and I definitely wanted to swap my dessert for French onion soup there if I could on DDP. Does it matter lunch or dinner? We have a dinner resi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter