Side dishes for Thanksgiving

Since DH is in GA for training until next spring, DS and I are making a trip there for Thanksgiving. We have rented a condo on St. Simons Island and I will make Thanksgiving dinner for us and a handful of his classmates that won't be able to go home for the holiday.

We will have:
turkey
dressing (my grandmother's recipe)
gravy
sweet potato casserole
mashed potatoes
green beans of some kind
broccoli casserole
yeast rolls
deviled eggs (DS LOVES them)
cranberry sauce

Not sure yet on the desserts and appetizers

Now, I just have to figure out how to transport all of this on a 12 hour drive! I figure it's the perfect time for my turkey to thaw in the cooler, but I would love to have most of the other stuff assembled before I hit the road...why did I think this was a better idea than DH flying home for the weekend? :confused3

Yum, that orzo and asparagus salad and the stuffed mushrooms sound delicious - care to share some recipes?

We always go to some friends who are gourmet cooks, so the menu changes every year, but we bring a side dish and homemade cranberry sauce, so maybe one of those will work.

OP here - everyone's menus sound delish:lovestruc We are transporting our food by putting it into those disposable aluminium trays with the lids, then putting those in a cardboard box that has a towel in the bottom. The orzo dish I made when DD graduated high school and DH says his stuffed mushroom recipe is a secret but I found his recipe ;)

Stuffed Mushrooms: makes at least 6 servings (he always triples it)

1 pound large button mushrooms, 1 egg, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, we use italian flavored, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves MUST be fresh, salt & pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, extra-virgin olive oil as needed, plus some for greasing the baking sheet

Preheat the oven to 400. Clean the mushrooms (best way is to use a dry napkin not wet), trim off their bottoms, and remove the stems, taking care to leave the caps intact. Chop the stems and combine them in a bowl with the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic. Stir enough olive oil into the mix to make it shine - a tablespoon or two. Use some more olive oil to lightly grease a baking sheet. Stuff the mushroom caps with the stem mixture and bake, stuffed side up, until lightly browned on top, about 15 minutes. serve hot or at room temperature. They are REALLY delicious.

The orzo salad comes from this cookbook: Pasta Salad 50 favorite recipes by Barbara Lauterbach. I didn't know what blanching or chiffonade was until I looked it up but this recipe is worth the effort :thumbsup2

Orzo Primavera Salad - serves 6 to 8 (I made 4 times this amount for our party) 8 ounces orzo, 1/2 pound fresh young asparagus spears, blanched and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, 1 cup baby peas, blanched if fresh, thawed if frozen, 1/2 cup diced zucchini, blanched, 1/2 cup diced carrots, blanched, 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes (we left this out), 1/4 cup chopped red onion. Dressing: 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, 1 clove garlic, minced, salt & black pepper, 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves cut into chiffonade

Cook the orzo according to the directions on the package for al dente. Drain in a colander and rinse briefly under cold running water. Shake the colander gently to drain completely. Set aside.

To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, garlic, sald & pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until an emulsion forms. Stir in the basil. Place the orzo in a large serving bowl and add the asparagus, peas, zucchini, carrots, radishes and onion. Toss together gently. If serving immediately, add the dressing and toss again gently but thoroughly, or, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours, and add the dressing just before serving - Do not add the dressing until ready to serve, as the acid in the lemon will discolor the green vegetables.

Here's one for the cranberry & squash lovers from the same book (I have not made it but looks tasty)

Orecchiette Pasta and Roasted Butternut Squash with Honey-ginger dressing Serves 6
2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1 butternut squash, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch chunks, salt & pepper, 8 ounces orrecchiette pasta, 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

Dressing: 1/2 cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, pinch of black pepper, pinch of paprika, pinch of dry mustard, 1/4 cup honey, 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger

Preheat oven to 400. Put the butter and the oil on a baking sheet and place in the oven. When the butter-oil is melted, add the squash chunks to the sheet and toss to coat. Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper, toss again to coat and roast for 10 minutes. Stir the squash; it should be beginning to brown. Roast 10 minutes longer and stir again. When the squash is tender but not mushy, remove and set aside. Total cooking time should be about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package for al dente. Drain in a colander and rinse briefly under cold running water. Shake the colander gently to drain completely, set aside.

To make the dressing, place the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl and add the sugar, pepper, paprika, and mustard. Whisk together until the sugar has dissolved. Add the honey and ginger and whisk again. Place the pasta in a large serving bowl and add the roasted squash and the cranberries. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss gently but thoroughly, being careful not to mash the squash chunks. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Return to room temperature before serving.

We're heading to SIL's house this year. Ther will be 10+ people. We're having.....

Veggie Tray with dip
Deviled eggs
Spinach dip in bread bowl
Beer Bread with dip
Olive/Pickle Tray
Cheese/Pepperoni/Crackers

Turkey
Mashed potatoes/gravy
Bread stuffing
French meat stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Sweet potatoes
Rolls

Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Pie
Maybe a Key Lime Pie
Brownie/Cookie Tray
I'm going to bring a pumpkin crunch cake (it's sort of between a cake & pie)

I know this is usually the norm for us but since it's at her house, she might have a few other things up her sleeve.

My parents, brother and his girlfriend are coming to us this year since we recently moved. We'll also be joined by friends who also moved here right before us. 8 adults, 5 kids

Tenative menu, all homemade:
My friend makes a killer antipasto appetizer
artichoke dip & crostini
maybe bruschetta

some type of pasta dish -- manicotti maybe? we're italian, we eat pasta at every holiday lol

Turkey (hopefully nab a Trader Joe's brined one)
mashed potatoes
candied sweet potatoes
honey carrots
broccoli casserole
stuffing
salad with dried cranberries, candied pecans, blue cheese
cranberry sauce (homemade)

Locally made desserts or I'll ask my friend to bring. I love to cook but am not the best baker. We've discovered alot of great bakeries in our area; we love Johnny B's cookies & pies (St. Clair Shores, MI).

DH, my dad, brother, his girlfriend and my friend's DH will be at the Lions/Patroits game (DH & friend's DH are die-hard Pats fans), so we'll eat around 5pm. We'll watch the Macy's Parade, and I guess the Detroit Parade if it's on tv as well. The day after Thanksgiving there is supposedly a big parade here in Grosse Pointe.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :thumbsup2

Ever since I got my first place I have been doing the holidays. My mom is my sous chef but I really don't like people in the kitchen when I cook.
This year, I am having both grandmas, mom, dad, stepmom, her mom, 1 or 2 soldiers who can't go home and a couple of ex boyfriends.

My menu

Turducken - Me and my dad want to try
Fried Turkey
Sausage and Sage dressing
Corn Pudding
Collards and kale cooked with smoked turkey
Mac and Cheese
Braised short Ribs - in case dad and I don't like the turducken
Mashed Potatoes and wild mushroom gravy
Candied Yams
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Canned Cranberries - None of us like the fresh stuff
Sauerkraut with pig tails - It is a weird maryland thing
Rutabagas- Grandma loves these
Yeast Rolls
Potato Salad

Dessert
Creme de menthe Brownies
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Mincemeat Pie - Only for Dad
Sweet Potato Pie - We don't eat pumpkin pie in my house
German Chocolate Cake

I think that is it unless I see something amazing at the farmers market.

Creme de menthe Brownies sound yummy! Do you just make regular brownies and add creme de menthe? Please share! :)

Having a small group, less than 10 but I will do all cooking

Turkey Smoked( not my choice I want to roast, but we got a big green egg so every bird seems to be smoked lately)
sausage Dressing- stuffing in the south, not cooked in bird
macaroni and cheese-paula deens crockpot recipe but browned in oven with extra cheese
green beans
yeast rolls
sweet potato cassrole
homemade cranberry sauce
jellied canberry sauce
veggie tray as appetizer
pimento cheese and crackers as an app also
sweet tea
red wine for me:cool1: The guests can have some if they want

Birthday cake and ice cream( my daughter's 7th birthday) I want to do a pie also but we really don't eat desserts so I think it would be a waste, we'll see

I'm not having to cook anything this year, and I didn't have to last year, either. It's amazing what having a new baby and a job where you work a 12 hour night shift the night before a holiday will get you out of. ;)

That being said, I will be contributing dinner rolls and soft drinks for 29 people.

We always have WAY too much food, so I'm not sweating not bringing anything homemade. I usually make a super gooey and fattening macaroni and cheese casserole, but my aunt is making it this year. My mom has a torn rotator cuff and can't use her good arm, so she will have to buy her pies this year unless she wants to stand over Daddy while he tries to master them, haha!

We're having:
Turkey
Chicken and dressing (don't ask, we just like chicken in it)
Mashed potatoes with giblet gravy
Creamed corn from the garden haul last August
Green beans my mammaw put up
The 'gain 10 lbs. in 10 minutes' Macaroni casserole
Slaw
Sweet potato casserole
Rolls
Cranberry sauce
Little relish tray with sweet pickles, onions, sliced tomatoes, etc.

Dessert is always an assortment of pecan, lemon, coconut, and no-sugar added apple pies, but the main event is my aunt Carolyn's homemade triple layer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting an inch thick. My cousins and I will get down and fight over this cake. I took a huge slab of it to work with me last year to share, and someone got stabbed with a fork. It's that good!

I am doing a Butterball Turkey, Spiral Ham, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stove top stuffing and oyster stuffing, corn, rolls, pumpkin cheesecake and a pie of some sort and deviled egg and cranberry salad,

We are having
Fried turkey and a baked turkey
Cornbread oyster dressing
rice dressing
green bean cassrole
yam casserole
roast or ham
bread

pecan pie
pecan cake

other things my sisters are bring just not sure what yet. One thing I know it will be too much food! My favorite holiday.

I'm waiting on the final headcount...somewhere between 20 and 30 is my estimate. So:
2 Turkeys
Stuffing (one with mushrooms, one without)
yams (sister doing this)
make ahead mashed potato casserole (about 15lbs of potatos, the boys love it)
rice (guest bringing)
cranberry dressing (likely 2 different ones, DH and sister)
confetti corn (DH or D)
salad (sister)
some other vegatable (likely me, because I think the kids should eat it..they won't)
gravy (DH)
Vegtable tray (guest)
Pies (guests)
Sodas (guests)
Wine (my dad)
tofurkey (one guest a vegatarian, he'll bring this)
whatever else someone brings (can vary a lot, but always good)

It's sort of funny reading this thread. For the most part, there are items that you find on 95%+ of these lists. However, then most people also have one "different item". It's great to see how different families cook for the holidays.

I find it funny how almost everyone has more than one Stuffing/Dressing dish!!

Ever since I got my first place I have been doing the holidays. My mom is my sous chef but I really don't like people in the kitchen when I cook.
This year, I am having both grandmas, mom, dad, stepmom, her mom, 1 or 2 soldiers who can't go home and a couple of ex boyfriends.

My menu

Turducken - Me and my dad want to try
Fried Turkey
Sausage and Sage dressing
Corn Pudding
Collards and kale cooked with smoked turkey
Mac and Cheese
Braised short Ribs - in case dad and I don't like the turducken
Mashed Potatoes and wild mushroom gravy
Candied Yams
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Canned Cranberries - None of us like the fresh stuff
Sauerkraut with pig tails - It is a weird maryland thing
Rutabagas- Grandma loves these
Yeast Rolls
Potato Salad

Dessert
Creme de menthe Brownies
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Mincemeat Pie - Only for Dad
Sweet Potato Pie - We don't eat pumpkin pie in my house
German Chocolate Cake

I think that is it unless I see something amazing at the farmers market.

:thumbsup2 This looks alot like my baltimore menu...but we just stick an old hambone in the sauerkraut, and don't go near any pig tails! We also have oyster dressing.

It's just the 6 of us this year (Dh, our 4 kids, and me) so we're debating going out for dinner!:woohoo: We figure it will probably actually be cheaper to go out, and we won't have to do all the work!

But, if we were to stay home and cook (which we might do...haven't completely made up our mind yet!) the menu would probably be

Turkey
Sweet potato Casserole (Ruth's Chris recipe that you can find by googling)
Mashed potato casserole http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Mashed-Potatoes/Detail.aspx
cranberry sauce (I make mine fresh)
Some type of green beans or maybe salad? Haven't decided...but not green bean casserole...probably more like a green bean with almonds type dish
stuffing (just from a package, probably pepperidge farm or similar)
cranberry glop http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cranberry-Glop/Detail.aspx (my favorite food, EVER!!!)
cranberry bread, corn bread (can you tell I LOVE cranberries?:rotfl: )

For dessert maybe pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake or other type of cheesecake, maybe apple pie? I'm the only one that doesn't like pumpkin pie, but everyone else loves it...so definitely pumpkin pie plus one other dessert.

I'm intrigued by the cranberry glop recipe. I wish there was a picture! What does it taste like? I'd like to try it, but need more info. LOL

Shelli

Tortellini w/ ranch dip
assorted relish tray

Tomatoe seafood soup
Turkey w/gravy
stuffing
mac & cheese
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoe casserole w/struesel topping
stuffed mushrooms
glazed carrots
garlic greenbeans or maybe greenbean casserole
homemade cranberry sauce
cranberry mold
rolls & butter

Pumpkin pie
blueberry pie
cranberry sugar cookies
pomegranates/clemantines/grapes

Menu so far:

Not sure about appetizers but likely stuffed mushrooms & baked brie w/ crackers.

Main:
Turkey breast (we don't eat dark meat)
Potatoes Au Gratin (found a great recipe)
Homemade stuffing
Green bean casserole
Homemade cranberry sauce

Not sure what else but will probably add another side of some sort.

Dessert:

Bourbon chocolate Pecan pie (found the best recipe and make it every year)
Pumpkin pie

I love to cook and there are a few times a year I get to make huge meals like this. I'm hungry already!

I going over my aunts house for Thanksgiving will be ask to bring paper goods or drinks or bag ice.

The kids have request to stay home for thanksgiving day instead going over my aunt house. But that is not happening so they will have get over it.

I had making dinner at home for kids there request:

Chicken and dressing unless I found a cheap Turkey
mashed potato with gravy
mac and cheese
corn on the cob
brownies
5 sweet potato pies. One for each person the house. LOL

Our homemade Thanksgiving menu:
Bar-B-Que Turkey
Sweet n Sour Turkey
(Some plain turkey for sandwiches later)
Cornbread dressing with giblet gravy
Collards with ham hocks
Field Peas
Squash n Onions
Real mashed potatoes (DH doesn't like boxed)
Yeast Rolls

Desserts:
Sweet Potato Casserole
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Banana Pudding
Aunt Willa Dean's Famous Red Velvet Cake

I will start cooking about two to three days prior to Thanksgiving. We usually sit down to eat at 11 am and then snack the rest of the day. Goodluck finding an empty chair or sofa the guys lay claim to those for their afternoon nap while the games play.

:thumbsup2 This looks alot like my baltimore menu...but we just stick an old hambone in the sauerkraut, and don't go near any pig tails! We also have oyster dressing.

The sauerkraut is definitely a Baltimore or maryland thing. I don't do the hambone because it is too salty. The pig tails give it a very subtle flavor and the meat goes all through the kraut. We also like ours a little less tart so i use a couple of family secrets to help that our.

I think Baltimore has it's own kind of Thanksgiving treats. Nothing like Berger cookies.

I just wrote down what we're bringing:
mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms (DH makes those), stove top stuffing (MIL makes a sausage one that I don't like), broccoli with cheddar cheese sauce, orzo and asparagus salad, sweet potatoes and I'm thinking about making German cabbage with bacon if SIL & boyfriend will be there.?

I'm going to work out my menu today, so I'm glad you posted. I'm always looking for new side dish recipes. Can I please have your recipe for orzo and asparagus salad? I've made the Ina Gartn roasted vegetables and orzo salad and it is always a bit hit, but it is a lot of work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter