Sick of Complaints

PrincessDream

Earning My Ears
I am not an expert on the Disney College Program, but I am just trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to participate, as I am about to be a freshman enrolled at Fordham University in NYC (ranked #56 nationally by U.S. News :D). And I know that most people would say if you're on the fence, do it, you won't regret it, but I have two years or so before I'm in that position.

The one thing that upsets me is that I keep reading all of these negative opinions about the program, saying that it's just cheap labor for Disney, and that doing the CP doesn't make a difference for getting into a PI (this opinion can be currently found on the Disney College Program's Facebook page). But at the same time I have heard the total opposite. My father also falls under this belief, that it's just cheap labor. I plan on doing a PI after my CP (if that proves to be worth my while?). So I want to know, does participating in the CP REALLY help you get a PI? Or is that just an excuse to lure folks in? I also find it hard to believe that the program is so bad, if so many people participate again and again. And anyways, what does one expect to do, in a paid internship at a theme park? It's hard work, and you're just a little guy, low on the ladder. I'd think it WOULDN'T be easy street - LOGICALLY, you've got to work your way up. I don't know what to think, but it sounds like a lot of whining to me. :confused3 Just looking for some reassurance, I guess.

You get out of the program what you put in it. Many students do only the basic... they show up to work, follow the rules, get compliments on their work performance, then go home. They have a great experience, love their roommates, then want to come back. When they apply for a PI, they do not understand why they don't get it (there are thousands of other CP alums that did the same thing).

To really make it worth a pofessional growth (if that's what you're looking for), then you have to take the classes, set up meet and greets, go listen to speakers, meet with your managers. That will get you a PI.

Some PIs do require a CP first (but you still need to network), while others do not. I recommend the CP prior to the PI, because the front line experience will help you long term with the company. There are skill specific PIs (i.e., Animal Programs) that do not really need the front line experience, and in those cases you can skip the CP.

Thank you for your input. And I was looking at it for serious professional growth. So it's all about being proactive, it seems. I did intend on taking some classes if I did the CP.

While I won't be able to give you any real insight into the program until I actually check in and experience it for myself, I can offer this:

I've found that opinions found on the internet are often very extreme. Ever read iTunes reviews for an album you love? Whenever I do there's always people who write nothing but praise as well as people who write scathing things. My guess is that it's the same with the college program. The internet gives anyone with the ability to type on a keyboard the chance to say whatever they want whenever they want, even if it's extreme. My guess is that for every horrid opinion you read, there's at least one A+ opinion of the program. Personally, I'm excited out of my mind to be checking in soon, and I'm ready to work hard and network up a storm. :-)

As Berlioz70 said, you get what you put into it. But yes CPs are cheap labor. We are the bottom of the food chain. But I'd repeat the experience at the drop of a dime. You are there to work and to make minimum wage. A lot of kids I worked with did it as a time waster before graduating or as a resume builder. I on the other hand did it for the experience as a stepping stone into the company that I love and want to stay with. While I did not network a ton, that's only because I knew I'd be doing another program some point in my college career. I am still seasonal and keep in touch with my managers though.

If you're planning on doing a PI immediately after your CP program, good luck. Some of my friends that applied during my program didn't get them because their interviews were so early in the program that their work references weren't good because they hadn't been there that long.

Go in it with all the doors open!

What PI are you interested in? I think that also will make a big difference in whether the CP will help you get the PI or not.

For example, I did a PI in IT, and I didn't do the CP. Out of the 11 PIs, only one had done the CP. For that particular internship, I think programming and technical experience was much more important than having done a CP. I know the next two interns that my team took on after me also hadn't done the CP. On the other hand, I'm sure that if it were down to two people, all else being equal, having done the CP might tip it in that person's favor.

But for a guest relations or management PI or anything that has to do with guest service or guest interaction, I'm sure that CP experience has a bigger influence on your chances to get the PI.

If you're planning on doing a PI immediately after your CP program, good luck. Some of my friends that applied during my program didn't get them because their interviews were so early in the program that their work references weren't good because they hadn't been there that long.

Go in it with all the doors open!

Ah, that's a very good thought, that I wouldn't have thought of. Lol. Perhaps it would be better for me to do a CP my junior year (fingers crossed!), and then apply for the PI before I graduate to participate after college has ended.

Ah, that's a very good thought, that I wouldn't have thought of. Lol. Perhaps it would be better for me to do a CP my junior year (fingers crossed!), and then apply for the PI before I graduate to participate after college has ended.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I did the CP first semester of Sophomore year, and am planing on applying for another CP as well as PIs before I graduate. That way if I don't get a PI I can do another CP and have the chance for another PI during my CP. Is that confusing?

what do you want to do in the end? what are you hoping to get from your CP and PI? there are many routes to many jobs. you're at a good school, as you pointed out, and i'm sure there will be many opportunities for you.

How I look at it is ....how many other internships actually pay you to work for them, give you opportunities for connections that will last a lifetime and give you 6 parks to entertain you while you are down there! :) My son has been down there three months and has already been given an opportunity to connect with a Resort manager of a different company when he is done his program for a job. He also has several friends who are doing internships all over the country, but not one of them is getting paid for it. Again like others have said before me, you get out of it what you put into it!

I was not on the CP, but worked full time at WDW for 7 years. So, I saw 20 or 30 different CP groups come and go. Yes, it is cheap labor - brilliant idea of having hundreds of new smiling faces show up every few months. The value added to the CP kids was priceless.

The few kids that were unhappy would have been unhappy anywhere. Almost all loved it. Some came back after college. Some stayed without going back (we tried real hard to talk them out of that!)

The big thing is "Walt Disney World" on your resume will get you noticed. I am now a professional engineer registered in almost a dozen states - people want to talk about my working at Disney. My BIL is a pilot flying 737"s and every time he shows his resume, they want to know more about his one year stint at WDW over 15 years ago. Any ex-cast member will tell you the same thing.

Good luck,
David

Yes, you are working a minimum wage job and depending on where you work, you might work very late hours. Yes, during peak periods you might work more hours than usual. It depends on what your goals are and what PI's your interested in. The skills and experiences you get from doing the CP are so valuable. As someone else mentioned, only some PI's require that you have completed a CP. So I guess you need to look at the big picture and what your goals are. A CP can help you get a PI or a job with Disney but whether or not you are looking for that, you will gain many skills on the CP and it really is an experience unlike anything else

Reading all about you guys with the prospects of applying for PIs makes me a teeny bit jealous! As a British cast member, I can't apply for any of the PIs or have a remotely "long term" career at Walt Disney World, so I get a lot of people ask me what the "point" in doing a summer program or the CRP (year) program at EPCOT as I will be starting in November.

It's difficult to persuade someone who hasn't done a program at WDW that it's worthwhile if you can't get a long term job out of it - yes, it's endless long unsociable hours at the minimum wage and my first sentence whenever I talk about the CP is "you don't do it for the money". But you DO do it for lots of other reasons that these people who say it's 'slave labour' don't understand - you do it for the fact you'll have one of the most powerful companies in the world on your CV/resume, you do it for the fact you'll make loads of new friends from all over the world, you do it to learn new skills both practical and business related and for a lot of International CPs, you do it because you love being a Disney Cast Member.

I guess in America it's not seen as particularly unusual to do the college program or work at one of the Disney parks... but for me, I always love the look of shock on someone's face when they say to me "you worked at DISNEY WORLD?! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!" because it's really quite unusual here! :cool2:

Basically, I can't wait to get back there! It may not provide too many career options outright - but it pays off further down the line when you're looking to get other jobs (i.e. once I've returned to the UK).

Catfish278,
I worked at WDW with someone from Bristol, England over 20 years ago. I am from Bristol, Tennessee- we were The Bristol Boys :cool1:

I am not sure what "program", if any, he was on. I do remember his Green Card was purple. He is now a Senior Manager with WDW Design Group.
David

It's been said earlier but I agree, you get what you put in.

For me the CP was the best thing i've ever done in my life, it was also the hardest thing i've ever done.

The bad things about the program at least for me would definitely be price management, just had too many problems with taking forever to fix things (my apartment flooded took them almost 3 weeks to finally get it fixed), sinks wouldn't drain, found a snake in our apartment because of hole in the front door, etc. I also didn't like the buses they were bearable if you didn't have a car but plan ahead to be at the bus stop early cause they do have a habit of being late/ not showing up.

Now the things I loved about my CP.
1. My roommates- I had 7 of them, now I didn't like one of them but we got along. The other 6 I was extremely close too. Especially Ali, Molly, Megan & Allison we did everything together they became my best friends. Even though We only knew each other for 7 months but it feels like we've known each other forever.

2. My Work location- i know you'll probably hear a lot of CP's complain about late hours but honestly my hours were the same as the job i was working back home (your work hours depends on where you work). I worked at DHS so I usually worked 3:30-9:30 or 5:30-12:30 (fantasmic nights) the only nights I worked awful hours was during star wars weekends. but even that wasn't bad because of my next favorite thing about my work area.

3. Cast Members- the Icon cast members I worked with became my second family they made working long hours and sometimes dealing with crazy guests so much fun. There was never a dull moment and I had always heard stories that full timers always treat CP's like crap let me fill you in on a little secret it's not true. i learned so much from all the full timers/ part timers because of my Icon family is the reason why I became seasonal <3

Overal DO THE PROGRAM :) ignore the haters trust me you wont regret. You will meet people from all over the world and make memories to last a lifetime.

There was never a dull moment and I had always heard stories that full timers always treat CP's like crap let me fill you in on a little secret it's not true. i learned so much from all the full timers/ part timers because of my Icon family is the reason why I became seasonal <3

Most of the full/part timers didn't discriminate what so ever, but there were a couple that were somewhat elitists. The thing is though, if you're actually a good, hard worker and you're respectful to them, they will have no problem with you. They all loved me, but they were the ones complaining to me about other CP's lol.

A lot of them feel as if CP's come to the Disney just to party. They think we all just blow off work, and just get by so we can get out and party. Just show them you're here for work and you really wont ever notice it.

You get out of the program what you put in it. Many students do only the basic... they show up to work, follow the rules, get compliments on their work performance, then go home. They have a great experience, love their roommates, then want to come back. When they apply for a PI, they do not understand why they don't get it (there are thousands of other CP alums that did the same thing).

To really make it worth a pofessional growth (if that's what you're looking for), then you have to take the classes, set up meet and greets, go listen to speakers, meet with your managers. That will get you a PI.

Some PIs do require a CP first (but you still need to network), while others do not. I recommend the CP prior to the PI, because the front line experience will help you long term with the company. There are skill specific PIs (i.e., Animal Programs) that do not really need the front line experience, and in those cases you can skip the CP.

AMEN! Absolutely spot on (as usual ;) ) It's about who knows YOU and making the effort do meet people and try new experiences really pays off. Promise.

As for the "cheap labor" thing, I've always giggled about that. Disney is subsidizing your housing (utilities included) and provides you with free transportation, offering you free classes and seminars, free entrance into its theme parks, discounts on food and merchandise. There are free parties, grocery giveaways, trips to nearby attractions. Free access to internet, as well as digital and printed resources on just about anything. You can earn 5 Harvard Business School certificates and learn a new language FREE. You are being handed the ultimate networking opportunity on a platter.

Compare that to the average part time employee who makes the same as a CP does, but has to find/pay for his own home and utilities, vehicle, gas, no classes/seminars, parties, grocery giveaways or trips. Supporting CPs is not so "cheap" after all. If they wanted "cheap", they'd ditch the CP and just hire folks in.

I had so many reservations about doing my college program this past spring advantage period ( I was 2011 SA) and I really did like my experience. But as I have told alot of people that it is what you make out of it. I was one of those people who came in and did their job and followed the rules but however I did receive quite a few fanatic cards during my CP and I am still extremely proud of them to this day. Yes you are going to be worked very hard for minimum wage (in some roles) and for extremely long and tiring hours but for you to be able to punch out and go to the Magic Kingdom, its the most amazing feeling ever. I'd have to say that during my program I never got too tired of going to the parks. It got more awesome each time I went. I was so happy with the people I met and the relationships I created. I still talk to my roommates and I email my managers on a regular basis and my coordinators. I miss it at times but at the same time I'm still glad that I didn't extend and I came home. Gives me a chance to look forward to what my Disney future may have in store for me!!! Good luck and I hope my post helped. Feel free to inbox me if you have any questions :)

Meredith :tinker:

I think the CP is ABSOLUTELY worth the while. I worked the front desk/runner position at SSR and OKW and I loved everything about it. I lived in a 4 bedroom at chatham and hated my first set of roommates but payed the 50 bucks to move and LOVED my 2nd set of roommates I had.

My co-castmembers and management teams were amazing and the guest interactions were so much fun!

I met a guy down there and we were best friends. Now we are getting married in 2 months, and where else...back at Disney World :love: and one of my roommates is a bridesmaid.

Once I went back home and was applying for jobs, the first thing employers wanted to know was about my disney experience. I came home, applied for 5 jobs, got 5 interviews and got 5 offers. I really think the disney name on the resume had a lot to do with that.

Would I love to work for disney again? yes.
Will I? Probably not.
Would I trade the experience for anything in my entire life? No. It really did change my life 110%. I can't even imagine what I would be doing and where I would be in my life had I NOT done it.

If you're doing it to just "get an internship out of the way"...pick something else. If you're going down there to just party every night... pick something else. But sounds like you want to work hard AND play hard, which is exactly what you should do! Stay open to every opportunity available to you and magical things will happen :-)

Good luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter