• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sick kid question

Mom2Four

Mouseketeer
hi everyone! We are leaving for Disney tomorrow morning and my two year old has a cold and isn't himself. I'm looking for suggestions on where to take him if he develops an ear infection. Please no one suggest Docs on Call because we had a terrible experience with them a few years ago. Thanks!

hi everyone! We are leaving for Disney tomorrow morning and my two year old has a cold and isn't himself. I'm looking for suggestions on where to take him if he develops an ear infection. Please no one suggest Docs on Call because we had a terrible experience with them a few years ago. Thanks!

Why not take him to the doc today before you leave and get a standing scrip you can use in Florida if he needs it? You also could make sure he doesn't have more than a cold (ie - something that would make you have to postpone the trip)...

There is a good doctors clinic at Celebration town by the Publix. You can drive or get a taxi. It's a drop in clinic. Also go to one of the medical centres in the parks. They have nurses there.

I wish this is something I could say I know nothing about...but with 3 kids, we've been there/done that at least 4 or 5 times. There are lots of CVS Minute Clinics around. We use them most often. We've wound up at an urgent care facility (I forget which one exactly) because it was Christmas Day one time (or maybe Thanksgiving, I forget). CVS clinics were closed, and he clearly had an ear infection. They took great care of him.

So no worries, plenty of easy options for you. Hope he feels better!

My pediatrician doesn't have hours on Sunday unfortunately.

I'd swing by a Minute Clinic then and just eat the extra fee...better safe than sorry. If he has something like the flu or strep, you'd want to know before you left...it might make you postpone...

The lethargy is the worrying factor...when you're not yourself, that needs to be checked...it could be a cold, but I'd want to make sure that's all it is...

I'd swing by a Minute Clinic then and just eat the extra fee...better safe than sorry. If he has something like the flu or strep, you'd want to know before you left...it might make you postpone...

The lethargy is the worrying factor...when you're not yourself, that needs to be checked...it could be a cold, but I'd want to make sure that's all it is...
Oh no he's not lethargic at all. By not himself I just mean he's cranky.

I wish this is something I could say I know nothing about...but with 3 kids, we've been there/done that at least 4 or 5 times. There are lots of CVS Minute Clinics around. We use them most often. We've wound up at an urgent care facility (I forget which one exactly) because it was Christmas Day one time (or maybe Thanksgiving, I forget). CVS clinics were closed, and he clearly had an ear infection. They took great care of him.

So no worries, plenty of easy options for you. Hope he feels better!
Are there docs at the CVS clinics?

One year my daughter got sick and we took her to the minute clinic. The nurse/doc there actually recommended going to a local pediatricians office. She gave us a paper with a few listed, and we ended up going to Night Lite Pediatrics. We had a rental car, so getting there wasn't an issue. They had long hours and frequently see tourists. They were very friendly and if we ever needed a doc again, we'd go there. nightlitepediatrics.com

Right, they're nurse practitioners mostly, but they can give scripts. For things like colds, ear infections, etc...you don't really need an MD, IMO.

Also go to one of the medical centres in the parks. They have nurses there.

There is a First Aid location in each park staffed by nurses, however they will not diagnosis and treat or prescribe anything. They would direct you to a local clinic. As posters have mentioned, there are several in the area. I strongly suggest checking your medical insurance to see if there are any limitations on which may be covered or not.

If you are at your resort, I recommend going to the front desk. I believe they have been known to offer transportation to (and from) Centra Care.

I hope the little guy feels better soon and you enjoy your vacation!

We had a very good experience with the Walgreens clinic just outside of Disney Springs a few years ago when DS had a bad sore throat/fever. You can even schedule an appointment online before heading over to lessen the wait time. Although we didn't do this and there was little if any wait - just long enough for us to enter my son's information into the computer. The Nurse Practitioner was very thorough. Tested for Strep & flu - wound up just being viral with a secondary ear infection. His prescription for the ear infection was processed while we finished up. We were in an out in 45 minutes.

We had a bad experience with our 5 year old. Stayed at Contemporary and daughter got sick. We took her to the clinic the hotel recommended (taxi comes and gets you) It was a Sunday night, the place was so dated but I didn't care needed my daughter looked at. The Nurse Practitioner was so not kid friendly which made my sick kid even more sick and scared. She was down right rude. Anyway we got meds and took a cab to the only pharmacy open. We left for the doctor at 9pm and finally got back to the hotel at 1am. So bottom line before every Disney trip I am going to our local pediatrition and getting standard script filled and ears looked at.... Apparently there is a Third Day Sickness that the CM told me typically happens. They said alot of kids get sick on Day 3. Wasn't sure if it was a wise tale but I heard it from dozens of CM's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter