Sick during trip

rina900

Earning My Ears
Has anyone or their kids been sick during their trip? I am so upset.. I took DD to the doctor today because she's had a really bad cough, and come to find out she has bronchitis. I started her on antibiotics today, for 5 days.

DS just started coughing bad today also (doctor couldn't diagnose anything on him yet) and I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose.. I am hoping we will all feel better by Friday.

Any tips or stories while sick on your trip? This is our first trip to Disney :(

Could it be allergy related? In NC, we have pollen EVERYWHERE and the symptoms can be the same. I hope you all feel better before the trip, for your sake and those around you.

Get all the rest you can now! and make sure in the middle of your day you take a break from the park (my family does this religiously reguardless if we are tired or not) around 1 or 2 go sit at the hotel for an hour. at least. Then head back to the parks around 3 or 4. You'll feel much better and its important to stay out of the sun a bit. feel better!

:wizard:

Just a tip, bring all the over the counter medications you think you may need. They are VERY expensive at the world!

Also, make sure to double ziplock them prior to packing them in your suitcase.

Have a magical journey!

All the posts had great ideas for you. I strongly suggest you consider them.

Two years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with 2x ear infections a few days before our trip. We packed her meds in our carry on, took it easy at the parks, rested when she needed to and even spent a day just enjoying the resort.

Just in case you are not aware, there is an urgent care center just outside of Disney. They provide free transportation to and from your resort as well. We actually had to use there services and were very pleased with the doctors and staff. Yes, we did spend a few hours between waiting, transportation and having med's filled but all in all, we were very relieved to have access to medical treatment. So, besides the suggestions mentioned, know that you absolutely can receive medical treatment (theyalso provide exrays when needed) if needed while at Disney. Just go to the front desk at your hotel and they will help you!

Hope this eases your fears a little! And have a magical time!:dance3:

I have posted about this before but we have had lots of experience with sick kids at Disney.

Four years ago we made two trips to the walk-in center at Disney. My 3 month old had wheezing and had to be put on steroids, my dd9 had strep throat and I had poison ivy from head to toe!

Also, two years ago we made it through our week but on our plane ride home all 3 kids vomited the whole time :scared1:

On the first trip we just gave the kids the antibiotics and they felt better within a day or two. DD3 months slept in his carseat the whole time and we just made sure we kept him hydrated the whole time. DD9 was pretty sick and we wish we had brought her to the walk-in sooner. Once she got the antibiotics she felt much better and we salvaged her second half of the trip.

My suggestion to you is that if your DS is starting to cough and DD has bronchitis, ask you doc if they can give you a prescription that you can use if he develops more of a condition. It will save you the 1/2 day at the walk-in.

We leave in 9 days and DD has a spring cold...I am quarantining them all for the next 9 days. School and home....that's it! No Chuck E Cheese, no playgrounds, etc. I am serious! Oh, and airborne for the next 9 days...whatever works. :thumbsup2

Good luck!! Hope everyone is better quickly.

:sad2::sad2:we leave on Sat well 2 weeks ago my MIL (who I do love haha) came to visit and got my dd4 sick! She was coughing all in her face before I could stop her!:mad: well sure enough the next day she had a cough! She felt better after 2 days so ok...THEN I got it, it turned into bronchitis which took TWO rounds of meds to get rid of....then my dss12 got it...well then last thurs my dd4 woke up again witha temp of 103! well the next day she went to the dr with CROUP! whatever she had turned into croup and maybe strep so they started her on meds and gave cough syrup w/codene for pain and she didnt talk for 3 days.well monday she started getting better and I took her back to the dr for check up....they said she will be fine to leave Sat without getting anyone else sick.
I told my DH from now on NO ONE visits during our VACATION BUBBLE!To make it worse my dh also found a lump in his stomach and had to have surgery monday!This has been two weeks of hell!:confused3 The dr said she will still cough for a few weeks so just treat the cough so I am bringing meds from home because they cost to much at wdw.

we've been to the walk-in clinic outside of DTD, and Celebration hospital (for urgent care) a few different times. Try to keep the kids hydrated, out of the sun (I think antibiotics make people more sensitive to the sun) and well rested, and hopefully they'll be ok. And like the other poster said, bring all your own meds.

If we have to go to the ped before a trip because someone is sick, I always let them know that we're going on vacation - many times they've given us something more or different than what they would if we were going to just be home (ie - flu meds once, whereas he told me if we were going to just be home, he'd have ds tough out the flu - this was a few years ago). Then dd came down w/ the flu on the trip - I called the ped from florida, he called in her flu meds, and some also for dh and I to start taking just in case. This was only because we were away. He would have never given dh and I meds too.

So definitely let them know if you didn't already.

I was diagnosed with strep two days before one of our trips, my dd was diagnosed with an ear infection two days before one of our trips and our other trip I had food poisoning and had to spend a day in the room.

With the strep and ear infection, we travelled with our antibiotics and were fine by the time we got to the world.

Emily

Well, last May we went to Disney and my dh ended up with the flu. He didn't go to a hospital there, but went to see his Dr. as soon as we got home. He was extremely sick, he couldn't even get out of bed, they said it was probably the swine flu, but it was too late to test for it. Luckily none of the kids got sick. We had 2 connecting rooms, so we pretty much ditched the sick guy :lmao: I had to go to the foodcourt and get him coffee and food before we headed to the parks in case he woke up hungry or thirsty. He couldn't even bring himself to walk down there. Obviously that was a more severe case. If your kids aren't feeling good now, even if they still don't feel great when you get there, just take it real easy the first couple of days, and hopefully everyone will feel fine for the rest of the week.

My suggestion to you though is to check with your child's dr. for something to take on the plane. Being stuffed up with a cold can get pretty painful.

When my kids have gotten sick I have just called the ped and they have called in something. I have never used it but I do understand you can have a dr come to the room to see your child. Probably very expensive but it does give some peace of mind to know it is available if needed.

I would recommend Emergen-C for you and the kids three times a day starting right now, and for you, try a netti pot - you should be able to pick one up at Walgreens before you leave and again do it three times a day starting now and bring it with you. It will flush out anything in your nasal and sinus cavities and possibly prevent an infection. Mucinex D is awesome too, you get it behind the pharmacy counter and have to sign for it...probably not okay for the kids, but might clear you up for the trip! Good luck, lots of fluids and rest both now and on the trip!! Have fun!!

We arrived on a sunday in Mar 2008, on monday nite my mom had to be taken to a 24hr emergency care doc, She had the flu! Spent the whole week in her room, my step dad too since she was so sick he had to take care of her. On Thursday nite, I started feeling bad, tired coughing, horrible time sleeping that nite, had the chills, coughing got worse, by the time I got up early on Friday morning (the morning we were leaving) I was so sick, fever....but I stuck thru, although I don't remember the driving portion we always drive and stay the night halfway. By Sat, we had to stop in MS and find an ER, because my fever had spiked to 103.9, and I was pretty much passed out. They tested me and I had the flu....:( I'm not even sure what they gave me, and I still don't remember the drive home. But by Sunday night the meds were working and I was waking up. I even sent my hubby to work on Monday. So I got over it faster then my mom, but I think it is because I got the flu meds faster then she did. And I don't like people taking care of me, I prefer to be the one taking care of others...LOL! So that was a weird trip! My poor mom missed out on the whole week, she reallys wants to go back but dad says he is never going back...oh well I told her I would send pics...! :)

I woke up with a swollen red eye and a really bad sore throat... I am off to get a neti pot, emergen-c and theraflu... we leave tomorrow ..:sick:

My niece got sick during our trip, and we took frequent breaks with her..and I even took her back to my hotel room and spent a few hours with her so she could rest and stuff.
Just do some of the usual stuff you would do at home make sure their well hydrated, rest up, make sure they take their medicine..etc..

Good luck! have fun!

What a thread!

Last March I took DS down for his birthday. We were having a great time but the night of his birthday dinner he laid down at the restaurant and slept the entire time. I was feeling kinda out of it but not like poor DS. We went to wishes and then back to WL. That was the end of our trip, for the next two days we went from the warm bath tub, to the bed and back. We both had a terrible fever and felt awful. I did manage to get to the shop and buy tylenol and cold meds.

It was such a struggle to pack our bags but I called bell services and just asked for help the entire way to the airport. Then at the gate the attendant whispered to me, your son looks so sick, get him looking better or they won't let him on. I told her we had the flu but were just trying to get home.

We both took more meds and I gave DS more juice. That was just when swine flu broke out and although not DX'd, I am sure we both had it. I was sick for several weeks afterwards and DS was sick almost an entire week.

It was just terrible and if it had happen early in the trip we would have gone to the clinic and then home immediately.

Has anyone or their kids been sick during their trip? I am so upset.. I took DD to the doctor today because she's had a really bad cough, and come to find out she has bronchitis. I started her on antibiotics today, for 5 days.

DS just started coughing bad today also (doctor couldn't diagnose anything on him yet) and I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose.. I am hoping we will all feel better by Friday.

Any tips or stories while sick on your trip? This is our first trip to Disney :(

My DD was diagnosed with bronchitis on our trip last year. We did a three night cruise and then 6 nights at Disney World. We almost missed our cruise due to being in urgent care with her. However, once she got antibiotics, she was fine. We didn't do much on the cruise due to her being essentially quarantined, but that was fine. By the time we got to WDW, she was 100% better and we had a great time!

Last November was our first trip as a fmily, and I came down with tonsilitus 2 days into the trip. I won't lie and say it didn't effect the trip at all, but we managed, and Ionly had one day where I felt really, really bad. The first day I thought it was just allergy related. I really should have gone to a doc on the second day, but i was too stubborn and didn't want to take the time to stop and go. I had a horrible sore throat and didn't eat much, but did ok for the rest of the trip. I took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up when we got home.

I became sick my second day at WDW last summer. I had a sore throat, headache, coughing. I had a fever as well and with the August heat, it was awful.

I hope you all feel better soon! Just take breaks from walking and maybe the first couple of nights try to make them early so you can get lots of rest.
:littleangel:

I woke up with a swollen red eye and a really bad sore throat... I am off to get a neti pot, emergen-c and theraflu... we leave tomorrow ..:sick:

Steamy showers and cool, moist night/early morning air helps with the bronchitis. Or a cool mist humidifier

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter