Sick during taper for dopey

Pennyguy23

DIS Veteran
I did my last long run on the 21st. My knee was killing me that night so I took a couple days off. I then have got sick for the last week. I did a 6 mile run on the friday. But that is the only run I have done. I still feel like crap. Not sure what to do. Do I just keep running and push through or rest and try to get better? Thanks for the help

Do I just keep running and push through or rest and try to get better? Thanks for the help

From what I've read, if it's above the neck you can try to keep running although you might pull back on the intensity; if it's below the neck in your chest/lungs you should rest so that you can get better sooner. While there is no time you want to be sick during your training for a race, during the taper is probably the best of a bad situation.

Hope you feel better soon!

Since you've been feeling sick for a while, I'd rest and recover. The benefit of additional running at this point is outweighed by the need to rest and be at full strength for the race.

It is a cough, ripping sour throat. runny nose, just flat out run down feeling. I know I could go for a run. I just didn't want to make it worse with it only 30 degrees out.

Rest!!! You have put in the important miles; tapering is about recovery. If that means completely resting due to illness, then do it! Work on getting to the start line healthy.

Simple facts are that you have the base miles in from your training and anything you do now will not improve the outcome as also mentioned by John. Just heal up and if you decide to go out take things easy.

McFlurry John

I'd say rest and not push it.

On Monday evening, my throat was sore and I had a low grade fever. BUT I needed my 20 miler. Tuesday morning I felt a little worse but headed out for the worst run of my life. My 20 miler took me 50 minutes longer than my previous 18 miler had.

Turns out---I had strep throat. Sigh. So now I'm weary about running at all if I'm not feeling well!

It is a cough, ripping sour throat. runny nose, just flat out run down feeling.

Sounds like what so many of us have right now.

Being someone who ran January's Half while dealing with that awful virus that was going around at the time, and taking so so SO long to recover from it, just rest. Don't push anything until you have to.

And for everyone who is sick right now (including me), at least we stand a really good chance of NOT being sick for the marathon weekend! Woo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter