Sick daughter on Magic....

CanadianDisneyDad

All you need is Faith, Trust and a Little Pixie Du
So our first cruise our youngest daughter, 8 years old, got pretty sick. We took her to the medical center and they attributed it to a virus and thus she was contaminated to our suite for 48 hours, just as we pulled into St Croix. I did not think it was a virus but a combination of ship movement, rich food and over excitement but I do not have MD behind my name so we went with that. We did question the nurse about food poisoning and she said don't go there :confused3. The quarantine is actually not a Disney criteria but a CDC criteria.

So we left the medical center and went back to the suite for some RnR :). We did have excursions book for both St Croix and St Thomas and Disney gave us refunds for both my daughter and 1 adult on both excursions. However they did let her go off board at St Thomas but not on any excursions and then back to the suite once she got back. So she and I (DH) spent the day at Magens Bay and they totally tired her out so once she was back, they advise me she was still quarantined and she went straight to sleep for the next 12 hours :). So really it was only 1 day she missed.

Disney staff was absolutely wonderful. They provided menus for both nights so we could order from our scheduled menu, provided a DVD and as many movies as we wanted and all the free room service, including regular paid items and washed our clothes (to prevent virus spreading). They called several times to check on her and all the staff asked how she was whenever we saw someone.

So when they offer you wipes before dinner take them and wash after using the facilities. I saw so many people not doing either :eek:. Also talking with many people after they kids had similar symptoms but did not go to medical due to the 48 hour quarantine :mad: .

Has anyone else been thru this scenario??

Sorry to hear she was sick. Luckily (knock knock) we have never been through this. My son vomited once on our second cruise, but in our room, and was fine 5 minutes later, I think it was a case of empty stomach on a very very wild cruise (hurricane Jeanne).

I have read of a quite a few cases on the boards, and that DCL is very great with things provided in the rooms and such.

I ditto the wipes and hand washing, constantly.

One of our friends got sick on our Magic Cruise in May '08. She was SO violently ill that she did end up going to the medical center. Her scenario was the same as yours...quarantined for 48 hours. Again, the CM's couldn't have been any sweeter about it, but were insistent....she had to stay in her stateroom for the 48 hours.

In her case we think it was one too many martinis rather than a virus, but rules are rules. They provided her with anything she wanted including canned soft drinks from room service. They also called to check on her at random times throughout the day. I personally think this is to check to make sure she is in the stateroom and not out and about. Disney IS very strict about this rule, and in my opinion rightfully son. There is nothing worse than a raging virus on a cruise ship.

I am VERY glad for all the hand wipes that are provided and will continue to use them each and every time they are offered.

Linda

From anyone who has gone through this, did you have insurance? If you did, did you make a claim. If not, what was the charge for visiting the ships Dr?

Thanks.

From anyone who has gone through this, did you have insurance? If you did, did you make a claim. If not, what was the charge for visiting the ships Dr?

Thanks.

We have had to take our DS to the medical center on two of our cruises because he was pretty seasick and we needed them to give him something to calm it down (normal over the counter motion sickness meds were not working - extremely rough water..... 20 - 30 foot seas). Both times we filed a claim with our health coverage provider at home and they paid everything except our normal co-pay. I believe the charge to see the doctor in the medical center was $100, which was charged to our onboard account.

Unfortunately, on our cruise last year, parents were letting their kids swim in the pools knowing that they had a stomach virus and were telling this to CMs in the elevators. :scared1: Luckily for us, my DD did not swim in the pools after our first day.

Our DD threw up one night but that is because she had one too many Mickey Bars and is lactose intolerant. We had to take her to the medical center to get cleared to go to the club. Since it was a one time thing, she was cleared and there was no charge.

We have a friend who sailed Jan 2008 and their son got sick as well. They actually put a claim in with the travel insurance they had purchased from Disney and were refunded part of their son's sail price.

Last cruise, a little boy threw up on my daughters feet during a show :scared1: Needless to say, I rushed her right out of the theater! Several cm's saw us and took her crocs to sanitize while I took her to sanitize her feet. The cm's returned the shoes to our room later that night.

The next morning, we got a very sternly worded voice mail saying we needed to immediately take our sick child to the medical center. Worried that they would try to quarantine her, I call them back and finally was able to convince them that she wasn't the one that got sick. Whew!

My kids did not have stomach issues but developed horrible coughs the last 2 days. We did not go to medical but I also did not send them to childcare, shows, and even our final dinner. We did get off the boat in Castaway Cay and walked around in fresh air (we had an inside cabin) My husband and oldest son were both healthy and both went to the final dinner and to say farewell to our servers. We want to cruise again and hope next time all are healthy. It is no fun when they are sick on vacation, especially a cruiseship. We did see a Childrens hospital helicopter airlift someone off of Castaway Cay. I can't imagine how terrible that was for that family. I have no idea what was wrong that they needed the helicopter to transport their child but they must have been pretty sick.

Thank you for sharing this. Getting sick anytime is awful. Getting sick on vacation is just the absolute worst. I'm glad to hear that DCL took care of your family as well as they did.

Our DD got a really high fever one night, the staff was great, we had advil and tylenol, they told us to alternate that, and were so nice, and there was no charge. She was fine the next day.:confused3

g'day

My daughter gets sick very very rarely. Even when she was throwing up she is very upbeat and happy :confused3 and helped clean up.

I am checking with my travel insurance this week as we opted out of the Disney insurance due to my coverage at work so will advise if we get any thing back, personal not expecting anything but if we do it goes towards next years cruises. We di dnot get charged anythig from the doctor, I think this was due to the quarantine reqirements.

I was and am still appalled by the parents who just disregard the washing of hands and cleanliness :scared1:

Either way she said this morngin that was teh best ttrip ever!!!!!!

cheers

So when they offer you wipes before dinner take them and wash after using the facilities. I saw so many people not doing either . Also talking with many people after they kids had similar symptoms but did not go to medical due to the 48 hour quarantine .
We saw this behaviour a lot too. Totally disgusting for them and then for us (I ain't touching that door handle - do you know how many people have left this bathroom without washing!!)

Sorry to hear that.

Even with all the hand wipes, etc., I think it's important, especially at buffets, to sanitize your hands each time you get food at the buffet. (just think about all the people touching those serving utensils.)

Getting sick on any vacation is a major bummer. Sorry hear it happened to your girl.

But I think in a cruise type situation being exceedingly over cautious is the way to go. As far as the nurse "wanting to go there" I would imagine it was more of an "oh #$@# that would not be good" type comment. Not something directed at your individual situation.

When we were on the NCL Sun to Alaska in '05 there was a person standing outside each rest. putting hand sanitizer in every persons hands as they walked through the line. It was a good gesture on their part to keep us healthy. Also, they would not let us serve ourselves at the buffets. They did it for us. At least that is how it was for the first have of the cruise, towards the end, they stopped doing it. I guess they figured they got us half way through the cruise we should be fine for the rest.

Hi Canadian Dad,

We were on your cruise too. I'm SOOOO glad that your daughter still had the best vacation ever! That says a lot about DCL.

I hope you'll be able to cruise again and all will be healthy.

I 'm sure it was frustrating and disappointing to have to be confined to quarters for part of your cruise. But thank you for accepting the decision graciously. It's wrong when people try to hide a possible illness and have the potential to spread it.

I think DCL really tries hard to keep us all well with the hand wipes and it's discouraging when you see people who disregard what should be regular handwashing after using the facilities.

We were on an Alaskan cruise last summer and the hand wipes were hardly offered on Celebrity and many people just said no and that was ok with the crew member handing them out. :sad2:

As an added bit of sanitizing....all of our family members carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in their pocket for the entire cruise. We re-sanitize after touching the buffet serving utensils. It also comes in handy at the evening "snack tables" outside of Rockin Bar and Promenade Lounge.

Best wishes for your next healthy cruise!!! :yay:

Barb

I am glad that you are happy with the way that Disney handled everything.

When we sailed in December, I never saw anybody refuse to use the hand wipes.

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter was sick during the cruise, but I'm glad she still had a good time, and it sounds like Disney handled it as best they could as well.

We are taking our first cruise in December, and I will be adding small bottles of hand sanitizer or prepackaged wipes to have with us as well...that is one thing I never thought of to add to the list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter