Sick and Tired of Being Attacked by Strollers

This happened to me during our trip while in line to board the bus for AK :laughing:. I didn't say anything to the gentleman who was wearing the big, tightly filled backpack and just simply tried to better distance myself because I knew it was an accident and we were all moving along close together in line to board the bus. I agree that there is no point in letting little things, especially accidents, ruin your time and make you get all huffy. WDW parks are filled with thousands of people moving around a lot of times in close, compact spaces. I expect that I may get accidentally bumped into here and there. I think some people just have hostile and confrontational personalities to begin with and look for ways to turn a sunny day into a cloudy one :)

Hmmmm...maybe u have unknowingly met my husband and his ginormous backpack!!!! :rolleyes1

I honestly believe that if someone is continually being run over by stroller-pushers, chances are the person isn't paying the least bit of attention to their surroundings.

I'm still waiting to hear how exactly you are going to physically restrain and detain another full grown adult...

I'm thinking of what my husband would do if a man tried to physically restrain me. Just sayin'... :rolleyes1

I find it hard to believe that with over 2000 posts on this board over a 2 1/2 year period you did not know this would stir the pot.

No doubt.

Situational awareness is a not something that is utilized by some folks.

Just came back from Magic Kingdom tonight and I will testify to the truthfulness of your statement. People walk around the park like drunken pirates.

Yay for you if this is your satirical take on the most recent ECV thread. :rolleyes1

Not always. I've posted on here twice before about ladies ramming us with strollers repeatedly as we were all trying to leave the park. They did it on purpose and when called on it, just yelled for us to get out their way then, they were in a hurry. The first time was at AK, back in the Africa section. As the parade went by, we were all following it around to get out of the park. A lady just kept ramming my then 8 y/o GD in the back of the legs. I finally told her to quit and she yelled at us to get out of her way then. I pointed to the mass of people all around us and ask where she expected us to go. Her response was to again ram the back of my GD's legs. My GD was in tears by this time. I told her that if she touched us one more time with that stroller, I was going to toss it over the bridge we were on. The man beside me said, 'yes, and I'll help her'. The woman then rammed the stroller into the couple on the other side of us, yelled 'get out of my way' and forced her way through, ramming people as she went. There wasn't even a kid in the stroller. The kid was sitting on the dad's shoulders, walking behind the stroller.

The second time was one night coming out of MK late one night. The stroller demon kept ramming us and when we called her on it, demanded we move out of her way as she was in a hurry. I again pointed to the mass of exiting people all around us and ask just where she expected me to move. She yelled at me to get out her way and she'd make a way through. I stood sideways to let her get by me. She ran over my feet and then continued to ram the people that were in front of me, demanding they let her through.I don't have a problem with the ones who occasionally, accidentally bump people. Sometimes it's the stroller driver's fault and quite often it's the fault of the person who gets hit, becuase they stopped too quick or stepped right out in front of the strollers. It happens. My problem are with the ones who use those dang strollers as battering rams to force their way through the crowds trying to get out late at night or after parades.

This one happened to me one night. It was when there was a mass exodus from MK going down Main Street. The first time, I thought it was an accident and just said Ouch kind of loud, but not yelling so she would know she did it but not make a big deal. The second time, I turned around and asked "would you please stop ramming me with your empty stroller???" The third time I didn't say anything, but saw a hydrant coming up. Just before I would have walked into it, I stepped to the side. She rammed it. She yelled "ouch!" :lmao:

This one happened to me one night. It was when there was a mass exodus from MK going down Main Street. The first time, I thought it was an accident and just said Ouch kind of loud, but not yelling so she would know she did it but not make a big deal. The second time, I turned around and asked "would you please stop ramming me with your empty stroller???" The third time I didn't say anything, but saw a hydrant coming up. Just before I would have walked into it, I stepped to the side. She rammed it. She yelled "ouch!" :lmao:

:rotfl::rotfl:Love it! It's usually during the mass exodus leaving the parks after a parade or late at night that we get rammed by those strollers. How many times do you hear, "Out of my way, out of my way, stroller coming through".:rotfl: Too many people think that having a kid and a stroller gives them some sort of special privileges. Those few give all stroller drivers a bad name.:rotfl:

Just came back from Magic Kingdom tonight and I will testify to the truthfulness of your statement. People walk around the park like drunken pirates.

Well, there is another thread about sneaking alcohol into the Magic Kingdom, so you may not be too far off the mark.:rolleyes1

I agree with the whole how could this poster not have any idea they would cause a ruckus given the number of posts they have thing. Sounds like yet another bored individual on xmas break with nothing better to do than :stir:.

For the record... not that I should care what other posters think or be defensive.... I was NOT just trying to stir the pot. I searched before starting the thread and didn't find any other threads on the topic. I wanted to know if other people had real experiences dealing with this situation.

Both times DW was struck on her heels, we were walking with a crowd... she did not cut anyone off...and she didn't suddenly stop...simply the person behind DW with a stroller was in too much of a hurry and not looking where they were going. Both times, the person went off in another direction either in a hurry still or trying to avoid dealing with hitting someone. The 2nd time, DW yelled "Owww!" and stumbled. There was no way the stroller driver didn't know.

OK... I exaggerated a bit about detaining the perpetrator. I'm sure most "stroller attacks" cause only minor injury or pain and are accidental and the apologetic person feels bad about it. But I also read posts about callous and brazen stroller and ECV drivers who apparently cared less. One person had a friend who needed pins in their shin.

Getting rammed by a stroller could cause serious injury especially if someone is knocked to the ground. When I was younger, my heel was caught under a door (much like a stroller catching the back of someone's heel) and I had pain for weeks. If someone hits someone hard or knocks them down and doesn't stop, security should get involved. If possible, I will follow you and call security.

What do I expect security to do? Well, I'll write and ask security how they would handle such a call. I hope they would get the person's information and file an incident report. Possible compensation? If you cause serious injury, why shouldn't I expect compensation? Should I have to pay for the hospital bills? Oh, I forgot we live in the age of irresponsibility where people don't have to be accountable for their actions (OK... that was stirring the pot....at least I didn't refer specifically to the entitled 90s children or the helicopter parents....)

Would you have a different opinion about me following them and calling security... if security arrived and the person pushing an infant in the stroller was so drunk they could barely talk or stand up?

I appreciate all the posts. It's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Now back to more simple threads and planning my next WDW trip.

For the record... not that I should care what other posters think or be defensive.... I was NOT just trying to stir the pot. I searched before starting the thread and didn't find any other threads on the topic. I wanted to know if other people had real experiences dealing with this situation.

Both times DW was struck on her heels, we were walking with a crowd... she did not cut anyone off...and she didn't suddenly stop...simply the person behind DW with a stroller was in too much of a hurry and not looking where they were going. Both times, the person went off in another direction either in a hurry still or trying to avoid dealing with hitting someone. The 2nd time, DW yelled "Owww!" and stumbled. There was no way the stroller driver didn't know.

OK... I exaggerated a bit about detaining the perpetrator. I'm sure most "stroller attacks" cause only minor injury or pain and are accidental and the apologetic person feels bad about it. But I also read posts about callous and brazen stroller and ECV drivers who apparently cared less. One person had a friend who needed pins in their shin.

Getting rammed by a stroller could cause serious injury especially if someone is knocked to the ground. When I was younger, my heel was caught under a door (much like a stroller catching the back of someone's heel) and I had pain for weeks. If someone hits someone hard or knocks them down and doesn't stop, security should get involved. If possible, I will follow you and call security.

What do I expect security to do? Well, I'll write and ask security how they would handle such a call. I hope they would get the person's information and file an incident report. Possible compensation? If you cause serious injury, why shouldn't I expect compensation? Should I have to pay for the hospital bills? Oh, I forgot we live in the age of irresponsibility where people don't have to be accountable for their actions (OK... that was stirring the pot....at least I didn't refer specifically to the entitled 90s children or the helicopter parents....)

Would you have a different opinion about me following them and calling security... if security arrived and the person pushing an infant in the stroller was so drunk they could barely talk or stand up?

I appreciate all the posts. It's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Now back to more simple threads and planning my next WDW trip.

In terms of guests causing injury to other guests with strollers, whether they be Disney-rented or personally owned, I sincerely doubt Security will assist to an incident such as the one you have described. What is Security really going to do? Threaten the other guest that if they don't pay attention to where they're going, they'll be ejected from the park? It just doesn't make sense. In this instance, you should probably run up to the guest and explain that they hurt your family members, and that they need to apologize. If they refuse to, I would just let it roll off your shoulders and move on. There's no need to get Security involved.

One thing I've learned is that WDW is much more enjoyable at a slower pace. Just on our trip this month... instead of rushing into Magic Kingdom to get a fast pass or run to the rides, we stopped right near the firehouse just to take in the sights... The fire chief came out, followed by the trolley. The Dapper Dans were on board so we followed them for a few feet... The trolley stopped and we and other guests were invited on board. Here we are... riding the trolley down Main St. all the way to the castle with the Dapper Dans singing Christmas songs (with a few jokes mixed in) all the way.

I don't think we will have to worry about the stroller rammers anymore... We refuse to walk in front of them or an ECV especially after reading about some of the stories here. Next trip... maybe I'll bring one of those very loud portable air horns ... and sound it off the next time (if there's one) someone rams one of us (just kidding there... )

"Stroller attacks" are a good example of an axiom that I have found to be ever so true: People lose their ever-loving minds at Disney World.
The best way I have found to keep safe and keep the peace is to watch out for other folks even when they are not watching out for themselves. Many times this means I wind up yielding some of my personal space or perceived rightful place in a holding pen.

~The best way to avoid stroller attacks on your rear flank is to ease to the side a bit so the mad stroller pilot can pass on by.

~The best way to avoid being trampled by a group of teenagers transversing Tomorrowland is to see them coming and either slow your pace or vary your route so as to avoid them.

~The best way to avoid having your shoulder pinched or knocked while trying to enter Mickey's Philharmagic or FotLK or some such show is to move purposely yet deliberately and arch your back just a bit (think of how you might put your back into a crashing wave at the beach).

Come to think of it, there are a ton of situations in a typical day at WDW where you just have to account for others because they are not looking out for themselves. I'm not calling them names; they are just overly excited about being on vacation and one of the first things they forsake is concern for others. It's just how people are.

Disney depends on this temporary madness to set in on large crowds of people. That's how they sell all those overpriced souvenirs.

One thing I've learned is that WDW is much more enjoyable at a slower pace. Just on our trip this month... instead of rushing into Magic Kingdom to get a fast pass or run to the rides, we stopped right near the firehouse just to take in the sights... The fire chief came out, followed by the trolley. The Dapper Dans were on board so we followed them for a few feet... The trolley stopped and we and other guests were invited on board. Here we are... riding the trolley down Main St. all the way to the castle with the Dapper Dans singing Christmas songs (with a few jokes mixed in) all the way.

I don't think we will have to worry about the stroller rammers anymore... We refuse to walk in front of them or an ECV especially after reading about some of the stories here. Next trip... maybe I'll bring one of those very loud portable air horns ... and sound it off the next time (if there's one) someone rams one of us (just kidding there... )

Wise words in your first sentence! I have found that the very best days at MK begin with a slothful breakfast from the bakery and an open-ended period of people watching on Main Street. I don't mind letting the FP Warriors dash ahead into the lands. I've gotten where I almost dread thsoe days when I know we'll have to rush to something early (for example, getting to TSM at DHS opening)

............Disney depends on this temporary madness to set in on large crowds of people. That's how they sell all those overpriced souvenirs.

I KNEW IT!!!! When DS6 and I came off Expedition Everest, it's no surprise that the plush Yeti Monster balls were staring at us from 3 different directions and climbing out of the barrels onto the floor. At $19.95, I wasn't going to get out of there without buying one.

Sociologists and social psychologists could have a field day at WDW. For all I don't know... WDW employs them to study crowd behavior to increase souvenir buying, improve safety, and other things. I know they employ statisticians to crunch numbers for planning staffing and analyzing pedestrian traffic flow for bus routing.

I should spend more time just kicking back on a bench with a Dole Whip and being a people watcher.

First timers (like I was in 2008) are quickly institutionalized into WDW norms. I notice it because people can't help forming a line even when there is no line. Tusker House (with POD stations instead of a line buffet) is a perfect example. I've seen long lines form at one end while all the pods ahead have no one at them.

QUOTE]

Nope, my opinion of you would be the same.....

Really, "so drunk they could barely talk or stand up?" Oh wait, my opinion of you did change...:rotfl2:

I think the problem is that people are aware of their personal space...they know their body boundaries. Whenever you add something that goes beyond those boundaries (backpack, stroller, etc.) they still are working with the original boundary and therefore hit stuff that is just outside the boundary much to the dismay of bystanders.

Hehe I got one of these guys on my last trip as well. They're too darn cute to just walk by, but I do find it interesting that they're positioned at the same height as the minimum height to be able to ride. But yeah...I've always been a sucker for Disney stuffed animals anyways...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter