Siblings in different age groups

WeLoveNemo

Mouseketeer
Hi, We just booked our first cruise, 3 days in November. We are so lucky to have two daughters who enjoy each other's company. But, one will be 12 and the other 15 when we go. So one is a teen and one is a child. It seems that there isn't a lot of overlap of kids' activities that they go take part in together. I know my girls and they are not likely to go their separate ways and meet new people. Will they find their age differences challenging? Thanks for your expertise!

They will not be able to be in the clubs together. 12 year old would be in Edge and 15 year old in Vibe. There are many other things on board that they can do together. Movies, on deck sports, mini-golf, mid-ship detective agency, family games, drawing classes, pool.

I was in the vibe a couple weeks ago and there were a few 13 years olds in there because they had an older brother/sister and they had vibe cards so they weren't snuck in either so it can happen

Personally, I wouldn't want my 12 year old daughter in with the 17 year old boys! As previously stated, they are other things they can do together.

I was in the vibe a couple weeks ago and there were a few 13 years olds in there because they had an older brother/sister and they had vibe cards so they weren't snuck in either so it can happen

There are many factors looked at other than just having a sibling in Vibe. How many teens are onboard, how "old" is the 13 y.o., etc. If the 13 y.o. is within a month or two of turning 14 with a sibling of Vibe age, they might make an exception. I sincerely doubt that a 12 y.o. will be given a Vibe pass in any circumstance.

Personally, I wouldn't want my 12 year old daughter in with the 17 year old boys! As previously stated, they are other things they can do together.

I always find this comment rather strange, as 12 year olds come in contact with 17 year olds all the time -- at home if they have a sibling or at a friend's house if that friend has a sibling, at school, at restaurants, at church. My daughter was 13 when she started high school and there were 17 and 18 year old boys all over the place. They could join the same clubs, be in the same band, school play, cross country team. My other child attended a school that was K-12, so all ages from 5 to 18, and they combined activities all the time, had field days with teams made up of kids from every class.

I don't know what you imagine these 17 year old boys are doing in the Vibe that would be so horrible for a 12 year old to see. Playing Wii? Making pizza? Playing cards?

I think DCL has done a good job of age separation and don't think they should combine the Edge and Vibe kids or allow someone to move up, but I don't think something horrible would happen if they did.

Nancy

I always find this comment rather strange, as 12 year olds come in contact with 17 year olds all the time
Nancy
On a cruise ship there is far less supervision when it comes to teenagers. They meet in the teen area and then scatter to all ends of the ship. They meet kids and often end up changing groups of friends after the first day because the new friends are not who they thought they were. In the Tween area they seem to be supervised much closer but when they get in the group with the 14 to 17 year olds they do things more as teens groups and not kid club groups.

The one thing to think about. The 12 year old girl would be meeting 17 year old boys that you have never met and they have the ability to leave the kids area on their own and go anywhere in the ship including cabins with out supervision. That is more of risk I would not want to take for my son more or less a daughter. Last year my 15 year old son hooked up with a 17 year old girl and that still made me nervous. I made him bring her by for lunch just so I knew who he was spending time with.

I definitely did not picture a scenario where my unsupervised 12 year old daughter was getting into trouble with a 17 year old boy (the majority of which I know to be very nice kids)!

I am thinking more along the lines of activities that are somewhat age-neutral. I am glad to hear about the drawing classes and mini golf. This was just the information I was looking for - thanks so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter