• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shuttle vs Taxi from LGB

hapandpam

DIS Veteran
This is our first trip to DLR, and I am feeling very lost. We arrive 9/20 and need transportation from LGB to the Disneyland Hotel. It seems as though the shared shuttles ($46/52) are about the same as a flat rate taxi ($45) for the two of us. Any advice which is better? Any suggestions about which company? Thanks for any and all advice.

Pam

We always fly into LGB and take a taxi. I have also found that the rates are pretty much the same as taking a shared shuttle without the hassle of all of the stops. With a taxi, we don't have to wait for the shuttle to fill up and don't have to stop at all of the other hotels. Also, on the way back to the airport you don't have to be on "shuttle time".

Is there any particular company that you use? Do you make a reservation or just go out and grab a taxi? Thanks!

You just get your bags and go outside, taxi's will be waiting. There usually is a transportation guy directing taxi's and will ask you how many people and where you are going. When it's time to return to the airport, you tell the front desk or the bellman/woman that you need a taxi to LGB. They will have one right away for you. Our flight leaves to come home at 6:12pm, I plan to get the taxi at 3:30pm. I love Long Beach airport because it's so small and easy.

I take a taxi as well... Like stardusty said, you grab your bags and then look out onto the street. The cabs are right there (typically bright yellow, very hard to miss). Just wanted to chime in on the taxi *back* to the airport. While it was only $45 to get to the hotel, going back will be a bit more expensive. I've been charged anywhere from $50 to $65. Interestingly, and I'm not sure why, the taxi and shuttle that Tropicana's front desk has called for hubby and I (two different times staying there) were both significantly more expensive than the one Park Vue called for me. The one that took me from Park Vue was darn near $50-52. The base rate for the shuttle from Tropicana was $60; hubby reported paying $65 this July when he added a $2 tip. I know we're talking about a difference of 4 hotel lengths, but --really?-- a $10+ difference??

You might look into Uber. That seems to be the current go-to solution these days. I have not used it where I live yet (Seattle area) but am downloading the app within a week of our arrival at John Wayne airport. They have a code for first time users to get something like $20 off your first ride. If you both have a smartphone, you could each DL the app and use that code again on your ride back on the other smartphone's new account.

Take a look at their website; they can give you an estimated fare for your trip. You can choose the basic car (usually a late model prius or similar), UberX, or if there's more than 4 in your party or you have a lot of luggage, you can go bigger.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I checked Uber and it would be $82, so $62 with the $20 discount. We will go with the taxi. It is so nice that Dis people take the time to help others!

I love lgb but I rent a car, that way I can have my raising canes and in n out too.

If you decide to rent a car, here are some good points.

The Rental Car pickups are right across the street from the Terminal, so no need for a shuttle, just a short walk.

The drive to Disneyland is EASY, just head east out of the airport (only one exit), that is Wardlow, which changes names to Ball Road in a few miles. 14 miles east of the airport is Disneyland. Yes, that easy! No freeways, no need to turn off Ball until you get very close to your Hotel/Motel, both Disneyland Drive and Harbor Boulevard are cross streets. (Ball is basically the northern border of the DLR).

FYI, as a local, LGB is my preferred airport if I can get a flight out of there, SNA is next, and LAX only if I have no other choice (well, there is price points and non-stop options that make LAX look better).

About the trip back.....................I negotiate the price upfront. I will say for instance " I was told $50 for the ride to LGB ". Have always been told "OK" by the cabbie.

Actually, the way the taxi thing works.

Long Beach Airport is part of Los Angeles County, and is run by their rules and regulations, which requires a flat rate of $45 from LGB if you ask for it. Also, then those cabs get to Disneyland, they can't pick up a new fare, they have to return to LA County to do so.

Disneyland is part of Orange County, and has its own Taxi Commission and rules. So many cabs will not offer a flat rate to LGB, since they have the same rule of not picking up at LGB and needing to return to Orange County.

Here is one Taxi Company that will offer flat rates, and not just taxi's...

http://www.ocairporttaxi.com/

If you stay at the DLR Hotels, the bell desk has vouchers for flat rate taxi rides back to LGB ($50 via freeway).....
Also, many times when you arrive at LGB there may be a shuttle hanging around and you can check that out....we have gotten one for $40 and it was just the 2 of us. Usually, though, the taxi is the easiest.

$49 from Disneyland to LGB. If round trip, it's $49 to DL and $38 to return to LGB.

Darkbeer, have you used this company before?

No, just a goggle search, but I have seen them around town.

My LGB flights are usually a day or two, so I just drive and park in the lot.

My advice would be not to fly into LGB next time. SuperSuttle from LAX or SNA is cheaper. LGB is like flying into a one-horse airport. Few transfer options, all expensive.

Let's see, a taxi from LGB is a fixed rate, $45 to the DLR. Uber and Lyft are the same basic price as SNA (of course surge pricing has an effect), sometimes LGB is cheaper.

LGB offers low cost airlines as Alaska, JetBlue and Southwest. The one drawback is limited flights, due to the small size of the airport, but that makes it easier to deal with.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/long-beach-airport-lgb-long-beach

My advice would be not to fly into LGB next time. SuperSuttle from LAX or SNA is cheaper. LGB is like flying into a one-horse airport. Few transfer options, all expensive.
However, for some, the airfare is significantly cheaper. Taking SW from PDX to LAX is around $125-150. PDX to SNA is mostly around that $150 mark. But flying into LGB on Jet Blue is $65 if you plan early... Which means even *after* the taxi, I'm still about $50-100 ahead of just my airfare at any other airport.

AND....the fact that LGB is small ("one-horse airport") is GREAT !!! Never long lines for check in or security is always a GOOD thing! As people have been saying...$45 flat rate taxi to DLR makes it easy and convenient to go that route. Taxis from SNA are $44 flat rate and LAX is no flat rate and would run $100+....

We have been flying out of LGB for years now. If we do not rent a car (great rates Costco Travel) we take a Taxi from LGB, but the last two times we have taken an Uber back. I think we paid $37-39.

We love LGB because it's small and quick and easy. Rental cars and taxis are right across from where you pick up your bags. And when you say "across the street," it's really not that far across.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter