• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shuttle to Port Canaveral - want to get there early

ThisGirlLovesDL

Earning My Ears
We have a 10:30 check in for our cruise on the Dream on August 31st and we want to be at the port in plenty of time for that. (We're too excited to sleep!!)

I'm trying to avoid the Disney Cruise Line bus because it's pricey. I called the shuttle company recommended by Disboards and they don't drop off at the cruise terminal prior to 11:00am.

Has anyone used an outside shuttle service that was able to drop off at the port by 10:00 or 10:15?

Thanks for the help!

FLtours, did you call them?

Seen on there website.

Port Canaveral Rules Port Canaveral recently passed a new law restricing all transportation companies from dropping passengers off before 11:00 AM. Due to this restriction, FL Tours is unable to pick guests up from the airport or Disney resorts before 10:00 AM.

Consider a car rental?

We've used Happy Limo and they've gotten us there before 11. But if you have fewer than 4 people, the DCL bus will be more economical. 4 passengers is roughly the tipping point between DCL Transport and private car services. FYI, I think all private car services will tell you they can't drop off before 11, but they do.

Yes, FlTours is who I called. They said no drop offs prior to 11:00am.

We have a large group (about 10 people) so I think a shuttle is our best bet.

I'll try Happy Limo.

I'll try Happy Limo.

Looks like they are all the same.

Port Canaveral Rules Port Canaveral recently passed a new law restricing all transportation companies from dropping passengers off before 11:00 AM. Due to this restriction, FL Tours is unable to pick guests up from the airport or Disney resorts before 10:00 AM.

I'll try Happy Limo.

They don't start boarding the ship until 11:15 or 11:30, depending on how long it takes USCBP to clear the ship for embarkation. But I have a confirmation from Happy Limo for pick-up at Bay Lake Tower with an estimated 10:15 drop off at Terminal 8 in PC scheduled in 3 weeks.

If you rent a car you will run into the same issue of being dropped off at the port before 11. Our shuttle bus driver said he wasn't allowed to drop us off before 11 therefore he wouldn't leave the rental lot until 10:55.

We have a 10:30 check in for our cruise on the Dream on August 31st and we want to be at the port in plenty of time for that.

Just to clarify... you have a Port Arrival Time (PAT) of 10:30, not a check-in time. The doors to the terminal won't even open until 10:30am. There really is no need to arrive considerably earlier as you'll just stand in a line outside the terminal or in the skyway. As PP mentions, boarding won't start until 11:15am or so.

Either DCL Transfers from MCO or driving yourself and parking at the port are about the only ways to guarantee you'll arrive prior to 10:30am. Car rental shuttles *may* start earlier than 11:00am, but if it's a Port Canaveral rule that will pertain to any of the for-hire transportation options.

Enjoy your cruise!

ThisGirlLovesDL, have you cruised DCL before? You already accomplished the biggest task of getting on board early. You received a 10:30 PAT time. So, you will probably have a boarding number around #4 (approximate). So, no matter what time you get to the port, around 11:45 you will most likely be on board. Luggage drop off will take 5 minutes, customs 10 minutes, and to get your KTTW cards will take no more than 20 minutes (all times are approximate). So, getting to the port around 11:00-11:10 is fine. You will beat 80% of the passengers onboard even if you show up at 11ish. The best thing would be to relax and get to the terminal at 11 and complete the timeline I spoke of. You will be fine. If they happen to start the calling of boarding numbers and they pass 4, you will be able to just walk on-board. If you are all together for lunch, I would suggest a MDR where you can sit together. After lunch you can stroll around the ship.

Just DON'T get everyone excited about having to be at the port at an exact time. No worries! If you get to the terminal around 11:00, you probably wouldn't fine seats for everyone anyway to wait for them to start boarding.

Just to clarify... you have a Port Arrival Time (PAT) of 10:30, not a check-in time. The doors to the terminal won't even open until 10:30am. There really is no need to arrive considerably earlier as you'll just stand in a line outside the terminal or in the skyway. As PP mentions, boarding won't start until 11:15am or so.

Exactly. The boarding pass number is SET. You don't have to actually be in the building at 10:30 for it to happen.

ThisGirlLovesDL, have you cruised DCL before? You already accomplished the biggest task of getting on board early. You received a 10:30 PAT time. So, you will probably have a boarding number around #4 (approximate). So, no matter what time you get to the port, around 11:45 you will most likely be on board. Luggage drop off will take 5 minutes, customs 10 minutes, and to get your KTTW cards will take no more than 20 minutes (all times are approximate). So, getting to the port around 11:00-11:10 is fine. You will beat 80% of the passengers onboard even if you show up at 11ish. The best thing would be to relax and get to the terminal at 11 and complete the timeline I spoke of. You will be fine. If they happen to start the calling of boarding numbers and they pass 4, you will be able to just walk on-board. If you are all together for lunch, I would suggest a MDR where you can sit together. After lunch you can stroll around the ship.

Just DON'T get everyone excited about having to be at the port at an exact time. No worries! If you get to the terminal around 11:00, you probably wouldn't fine seats for everyone anyway to wait for them to start boarding.

This is actually my fifth Disney cruise. The other three times I sailed from Port Canaveral, someone else arranged all of the transfers. Last year, I sailed from Vancouver. This is my husband's first trip from Port Canaveral and my stepson's first cruise so I am feeling the pressure to try and make at easy as possible for them.

I hear people say it is a hassle to drop off rental cars and then get to the port but I have found it to be the opposite. This year I dropped off the rest of the party like always and the bags and then took the car back. They had a huge back up because the Carnival ship arrived to port late, after about 10 minutes the rental place put us in a cab for free and we were off to the port. I know things don't always work that well but even if I had to get my own cab the cost would be minimal and instead of paying $300 for the 4 of us on Disney transportation I paid about $80 RT for a full size SUV.

This is actually my fifth Disney cruise. The other three times I sailed from Port Canaveral, someone else arranged all of the transfers. Last year, I sailed from Vancouver. This is my husband's first trip from Port Canaveral and my stepson's first cruise so I am feeling the pressure to try and make at easy as possible for them.

If you are set on a private transfer, then I would recommend you just have them drop you off at 11. You will still have plenty of time to look around and maybe meet a couple of characters after check-in and still be among the first people to board. I find the terminal quite boring really, so would rather be in there as little time as possible.

Just don't rent a 15 pax van and expect to fit people and luggage. We have rented 15 pax vans in the past and had no problem fitting 8 people and all the luggage but on this trip the vans were new with each row/seat having a head rest that was above the seats so it was impossible to pass luggage over the tops of the rows of seats to the back rows. There was absolutely NO room to put anything behind the last row (opening the back of the van). We asked Alamo if they could remove the back row of seats to allow room and they said no. We were in the garage for 30 minutes trying to squeeze people and luggage in. It was a nightmare. When I booked I just assumed the vans would have the flat top seats and we would pass our luggage to the back over the seats but that was not the case. I was so psyched when I booked as the rate was only $69.00 for 24 hours. We thought we hit the jackpot but the new 15 pax vans are strictly for people, not luggage at all.

MJ

Then my thought is for you to lock in a service for the 10 of you and not do the rental vehicles. If you rent, someone has to take the vehicles back and get back to port...... Then the question where is the person that dropped off the vehicle at? Are they going to get stuck in traffic? Do not do all that stuff to save a buck.

If you don't want the hassles of the unknown just allow others to take care of you. The main point is for YOU not to stress. Others will take the queue from you. Seriously it doesn't matter what time you get to port as long as you don't miss the cruise! Your husband and stepson's will love the terminal once they are in there.

It is awesome that you want it all to be perfect, but it won't be. It will just be organized and structured, but go with the flow.

When do you fly in, and are you staying in a hotel the night prior? Where?

Jodie

I don't want the hassle of renting multiple cars. A shuttle is definitely the answer.

Jodie, we're flying in a couple of days before and are staying at All Star Sports, so that's where the shuttle will pick us all up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter