• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

shuttle/car seat question please

kd5k

Earning My Ears
I need some help or input please.

My daughter, son inlaw and baby are flying into John Wayne airport in Oct. We will be driving down from Utah. Due to the flights available they will be arriving there before we do. We actually have a car seat that we will be taking with us to have but....

how to get them from the airport to the hotel?
Does the shuttle have car seats available that you can use?
What do they do or how do they handle this situation?

any ideas or advice?????

Without a car seat, the Disneyland Resort Express bus is probably their only option. That's what we did when my daughter was still in a booster seat. We weren't renting a car, so we didn't want to haul a booster seat with us.

It's also really easy to check carseats with the airline if they need to take a car. Although I wonder if they are charging for carseats now. That would stink.

We've done this in other cities, as we live in Los Angeles. When the service picks you up, you will need to install your car seat yourself.

I agree with the previous poster. If you take the Disneyland Resort Express by Gray Line Buses, you won't even have to bring the car seat, and it's cheaper. I would do the bus, especially if they are staying at a Disney resort.

As far as I know now, the airlines will not charge you to bring the seat along, as almost every state in the Union requires one for child passengers in cars.

I would call your airline to be sure....some airlines do charge now, even if you're using the carseat in flight!

As far as I know now, the airlines will not charge you to bring the seat along, as almost every state in the Union requires one for child passengers in cars.

Is this the same for taxis? We are flying down from Calgary and don't want to bring a car seat. We are only taking the taxi from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. We are spending the rest of the time at DL. :confused3

I don't understand why people say "take the DLR Express ~ you won't need a seat." This is your child why would you not want them in a car safety seat when in a moving vehicle??? Buses are safe for children (all of us) because of compartmentalization but they aren't big enough for this till 5+ years old! Is your grandchild under age 2 ~ if so have they purchased a seat for him/her? If so use the car seat on the plane ~ if not gate check it, there's always a chance the flight won't be full and they could use the seat anyway, most babies are more comfortable in their car seat on flights cause they're used to it in the car, it's safer anyway. My DD's (5 years old) seat on planes is the Cosco Scenera/Scenara (she's almost too tall for it though) it's cheap, easy to install, good from 5 lbs up, easy to carry on your back through the airport or plop in a stroller ~ with the child buckled in the car seat and go through the airport like that. It's a great 2nd seat, seat for Gma & Gpa's car.

PS ~ I'm a child passenger safety tech. I'd be happy to help if you have other ?'s or you could check out the website ~ www.car-seat.org

HTH!

I don't understand why people say "take the DLR Express ~ you won't need a seat." This is your child why would you not want them in a car safety seat when in a moving vehicle??? Buses are safe for children (all of us) because of compartmentalization but they aren't big enough for this till 5+ years old! Is your grandchild under age 2 ~ if so have they purchased a seat for him/her? If so use the car seat on the plane ~ if not gate check it, there's always a chance the flight won't be full and they could use the seat anyway, most babies are more comfortable in their car seat on flights cause they're used to it in the car, it's safer anyway. My DD's (5 years old) seat on planes is the Cosco Scenera/Scenara (she's almost too tall for it though) it's cheap, easy to install, good from 5 lbs up, easy to carry on your back through the airport or plop in a stroller ~ with the child buckled in the car seat and go through the airport like that. It's a great 2nd seat, seat for Gma & Gpa's car.

PS ~ I'm a child passenger safety tech. I'd be happy to help if you have other ?'s or you could check out the website ~ www.car-seat.org

HTH!

Thanks for the input!! :woohoo: This is what I am trying to find out. My daughter does NOT want to have to bring a car seat because we don't know that there will be a need to use one if we are at DL the whole time.MY granddaughter is going to be a year old and they have chosen to hold her on their laps for financial reasons. (Not enough $$ to purchase a ticket for her as well.) But we have a carseat that we are bringing with us to have incase we do go somewhere else. When riding in a shuttle/taxi, what ever the transportation is they woud like to have her in a carseat for safty reasons. But they will be at the airport before we get to Anaheim. I know with rental cars you can request one with a car seat now.

Yes you can request one when using a taxi or something like that ~ but I've heard some horror stories of borrowed seats ~ filthy, broken, old (expired). I say bring the seat ~ 1 kid right?? I'm a single mom and I can do it ~ heck DS carries a backless booster through the airport to gate check. When we go to Disney we stay at Disney ~ DD uses her car seat on the plane and in whatever vehicle we use to get from the airport to the hotel. It sits in the hotel room the whole time.

HTH!

I'm on of those who said they wouldn't need it on the bus or airplane. While I understand and highly respect your profession, and the fact that I have 2 toddlers myself, I still disagree with a couple of your points.

For the record, I do haul 2 huge Britax Marathon's with me when I travel, as I rent cars, take cabs, or stay with folks who have them, so I'm not speaking from an unexperienced perspective. I know what a pain in the it is, but we do it to save money on the other end!

1) These are not school-style buses or city buses like at WDW - which the recommendations you quoted apply to. They are luxury tour buses. As with the other types, there are no individual seatbelts or latch to fasten the seat in. I actually called Gray Line and spoke with them a couple minutes ago and they do not allow passengers to place their children in car seats. According to them (and this is also how I felt), it is actually more secure holding your child in your lap than in a carseat that is not attached to the seat of the vehicle. BTW, at WDW, the same rule applies - you can't use car seats on their buses either (which are the city bus style).

2) In this travel environment with airlines cutting the number of flights to established destinations, as well as entire routes, you will be VERY hard pressed to find an empty flight with a lot of open seats they will just give you for having an unpaying lap passenger. At one time that was true, but not anymore. Flights to the Los Angeles area are PACKED. There are simply too many people and not enough flights. If the airlines finds that they have a flight with too few people, they will simply cancel it and rebook folks to save money. (Southwest does do this on some of it's internal CA routes. Happens to my friend who lives in Sacramento all the time.) If you didn't pay for a seat for your child, it's a pain to get that through security on a slim hope, run it down the terminal and then gate check it, then haul it back at your destination. Just bag check it when you arrive at the airport and save yourself the time and enery, since you'll be manhandling that, the stroller, the baby, all the fluids and special things needed at security, your personal belongings, etc. The less "special items" you can take through security, the smoother things will go and the less stress you have.

My conclusion is if you are coming in and taking the bus, don't haul the extra car seat. As the OP said, they are bringing one, it just won't be at the airport. Why have 2 hanging around for no reason.

Nancy, thanks for checking on that. I am a car seat fanatic (but not a tech) who opted to take the DL Express because of not needing a carseat...and was starting to get worried after reading the previous post. I was under the impression that the bus does not have seatbelts--thus I couldn't figure out how having a carseat would even be saef on there. It sounds like my impression is correct.

Phew, looks like I'm off the hook for hauling our Regent and Marathon through the airport! I doubt the Regent would even fit into an airplane seat. Now I just need to find someone to lend me one of those CARES harnesses for the plane for my two year old.

Thanks so much, Yellow, for all the info. Although we don't typically fly anywhere, it is still good to know. With four kids, I know I wouldn't want to go thru all the hassle for nothing. I have flown with them before (not all at once) and it is difficult. No need to make it worse.

Disneymo, we actually had a bad experience like what you were referring to w/ a carseat. My mom and I were flying w/ my oldest (when he was the only one) and had a town car pick us up. They were supposed to have a seat that I arranged for in advance. They had a seat, but it was in terrible shape. Dirty, very out-dated, and I could tell it was not secured well. I was horrified that I had to put my baby in it. We had no other choice though because our plane was leaving at a certain time, and there was no time to make other arrangements.

I did contact the owner of the company right after I returned. He didn't care. I then contacted the BBB which made this company remove the BBB logo from their site. Come to find out, they were not even members, so they were falsely advertising. They refused to refund us any money (the car was MUCH older than what we were expecting on top of it.) However, once they found out I reported them to the Bureau, they offered to give us a future ride for free. As if!! I would never go back to them after that. Not even if it was free.

Here's another helpful fligh tidbit for you guys...

Keep in mind that if you have a larger stroller - we have to go through security with a Graco Duo Quatro - that they may have to manually run it through security if it doesn't fit through the xray machine. When I travel by myself with the girls, this is a major organizational problem. I have a certain order I have to run things through the xray to reload them properly into the stroller (complicateed by the addition of a laptop). If the stroller is out first it will be ready for me to open and load as stuff comes through. That way, I don't have to put their shoes on right away - I just plunk them in.

When they have to take my stroller and check it by hand, I have all of my crap through and am trying to get 3 pairs of shoes on and wrangle all while waiting the extra time for them to be finished. Then when they are finally done, you have to reload everything. That will send someone's stress level through the roof, as you are trying to do everything in your power not to have them single you out for a secondary security screening with the body check and wand.

Thank goodness that most strangers take sympathy with you and help keep an eye on the kids while you are loading (except in Orlando, where everyone is in the same boat).

I strongly encourage taking your stroller all the way to the gate. It is the best method of containing/contolling your kids and your items from Point A to Point B and the only way to make it in a dead run to your gate in a reasonable amount of time!!!!

I don't understand why people say "take the DLR Express ~ you won't need a seat." This is your child why would you not want them in a car safety seat when in a moving vehicle???

The DLR Express is a tour bus that does not have seat belts, hence nothing to strap a car seat into. Nobody wears a seat belt on those buses (well, except for maybe the driver...). I wasn't suggesting that they do something illegal or unsafe for their child. Of course we want our children to be as safe as possible, but it's not practical to keep them in a bubble or a 5-point harness until adulthood. I don't make the rules, I was merely pointing out a legal option that will get them from the airport to their hotel without needing a car seat, as was asked by the original poster.

Why doesn't your daughter bring the carseat, gate check it and then she can use it in the shuttle or taxi. Then you don't have to bring an empty one and she can put her carseat in your car if she needs it. That way carseat stays with the baby that will use it and then no one will have to worry about getting anywhere safely! I always bring carseats for my kids and gate check them if they are lap riders, I would never take them in a car w/o a carseat so why try to figure a way around that when traveling!;)

Personally, that is what I would to too! But, daughter has a very expensive car seat and is anal about checking it in and having it get ruined! :confused3 :rotfl:

It would save a lot of this trying to figure things out!! LOL

thanks for the help, ideas and input.

Personally, that is what I would to too! But, daughter has a very expensive car seat and is anal about checking it in and having it get ruined! :confused3 :rotfl:

It would save a lot of this trying to figure things out!! LOL

thanks for the help, ideas and input.

Frankly, I don't blame her. I have had stroller damage from the airlines and they take no liability. Then there is the whole "lost luggage' scenario. If it was my everyday carseat that I needed to get to and from the airport, no way.

If they are concerned about saving money on the trip, the Bus is the cheaper option. Cabs are expensive here. Gray Line even has an additional $3 off coupon in the DL Express brochure PDF on their website.

In CA carseats are required in Taxis by law, as well. One of the few states (if the only) with that requirement.

And to the best of my knowledge, there are NO airlines I can find that charge for carseats (at least gate checked or on the plane).

Nancy, thanks for checking on that. I am a car seat fanatic (but not a tech) who opted to take the DL Express because of not needing a carseat...and was starting to get worried after reading the previous post. I was under the impression that the bus does not have seatbelts--thus I couldn't figure out how having a carseat would even be saef on there. It sounds like my impression is correct.

Phew, looks like I'm off the hook for hauling our Regent and Marathon through the airport! I doubt the Regent would even fit into an airplane seat. Now I just need to find someone to lend me one of those CARES harnesses for the plane for my two year old.

DisSarahK, there is a woman on ebay that rents her CARES harness. her rating i think is 100% positive. you just contact her and tell her when you are traveling and if she has one available, she'll send it to you (i think she has 10, maybe 15 harnesses for rent)...$15 per rental, and i think you pay for shipping on top of that...don't quote me though. just go to ebay and search for "CARES".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter