• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shrek will soon have express passes again

phamton

The Other Orlando Themepark
Shrek just opened their second theater so the wait time should be cut down considerably. They started honoring express plus passes last week and are rumored to have regular (free) express for Shrek starting next week.

When they first planned the second theater, it was going to be only for FOTL and all express passes, while the regular theater would be for standyby lines. I don't know if that is how they intend to set it up next week or not. I did notice that the standyby line went from 60 minutes last week to 20 minutes yesterday so something is improving.

Great, just in time for the summer season.

I don't understand why this attraction has such a large draw. The USH version only has 15 minute waits as most head to the lower lot to ride the thrill rides. I don't get it.

It's gotta be because it's the first major attraction as you walk into the park.

Just like Waterworld is the major one for USH.

Good to hear. As of last Sunday there was no EP for Shrek, just stand by and FotL. (we passed.)

This is great news! I didn't realize that the second theater was a definite thing; I thought that it was only in the planning stages so this is a terrific surprise. We always hit Shrek first thing in the a.m. but now maybe we can catch it again on our way out of the park.

Bev,
I just want to say "thank you" for all your great information. It's really appreciated.

robvia said:
Great, just in time for the summer season.

I don't understand why this attraction has such a large draw. The USH version only has 15 minute waits as most head to the lower lot to ride the thrill rides. I don't get it.

It's gotta be because it's the first major attraction as you walk into the park.

Just like Waterworld is the major one for USH.

The USH theatre was much, much bigger than the Orlando theatre.

I've heard that the 2nd theater is smaller and has less SFX than the main theater. IDK if this is true or not...

I'll try to check it out tomorrow. I did hear it was smaller but didn't hear that it had lost any special effects.

Good to see DM posting again!
The hotel express entrance for Shrek on Saturday was where the regular queue was and is no longer on the left side of the entrance. The regular queue now is through the metal railing maze on the east side or as you approach the building. By the way- they were not allowing anyone to sit in the front row of the original theater. The stationary seats were marked with a yellow diamond.
Its good to see another theater opened for this bottle neck attraction!

Express pass machine is now open. They started accepting express passes yesterday.

I don't see why they are making express for it again, it had a 15 minute wait yesterday, Easter Sunday so...

damo said:
The USH theatre was much, much bigger than the Orlando theatre.
Great post, that explains it. I didn't actually ride the USH version. I was standing in line, a bunch of people ahead of me, couldn't see the door. I was tired, turned around and left.

T-10X said:
I don't see why they are making express for it again, it had a 15 minute wait yesterday, Easter Sunday so...

That just shows you how well having a second theater is working. Many people have gotten used to skipping Shrek because of the long wait. With the new auditorium, lines are moving faster and more than likely crowds will return to Shrek.

OK, I went straight to the horse's mouth today to get the info on Shrek.

The second theater is smaller but holds the same number of people. They are not just using it for FOTL and express. They just fill up the first theater and then fill up the second theater. The special effects are the same in both but some of the ride ops thought the new theater had better effects because it was newer and had no glitches.

The stationary seats are blocked off in the 2nd theater but are still open in the first theater. Although the 2nd theater has some wheelchair accessible seats, right now they are putting all the wheelchairs in the first theater as it has more room for wheelchairs.

There was still quite a line today at 3:00 PM at Shrek. The posted wait time was 45 minutes so I would recommend that you get express passes out of the machine rather than wait in line.

Great news about Shrek! I am glad they are using the 2nd theater and not letting that space sit empty any longer. I hope it all works out with 2 theaters and express being back! Hopefully the days of 120 minute waits are over.

Hey...

Yes, the 2nd theater has all the effects! (I work on Shrek...) Both theaters hold the same amount of people. Express IS back - although yesterday the regular express passes sold out quickly. And we do use BOTH theaters for FOTL and Express. What happens is that each theater is loaded alternately.

I am thrilled that the 2nd theater is open - it really does cut down on wait times.

phamton said:
The stationary seats are blocked off in the 2nd theater but are still open in the first theater. Although the 2nd theater has some wheelchair accessible seats, right now they are putting all the wheelchairs in the first theater as it has more room for wheelchairs.

The 2nd theater DOES have stationary seats! They are located in the front row -the last 8 seats. I worked in there yesterday so I know they weren't blocked off.

I love working on Shrek - I enjoy watching people's reactions in the theater during some of the effects. It's a fun attraction!

ThePhantomsGirlfrien said:
The 2nd theater DOES have stationary seats! They are located in the front row -the last 8 seats. I worked in there yesterday so I know they weren't blocked off.

I love working on Shrek - I enjoy watching people's reactions in the theater during some of the effects. It's a fun attraction!

Thanks for the great info! :)

Are there two pre-shows as well or do they just fill up the two theatres from the one preshow? Where is the second theatre located and where is the entrance to it? Just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter