Showing up early for check-in [DCP]

KeithSkud

Virginia Tech Hokies
My check-in day is next Tuesday, the 14th, and just found out that some people who checked in this week were there as early as 4am. The website says not to arrive before 7am but people are showing up 3 hours before that? which is really 5 hours before check in even starts? Am I the only one to find that ridiculous?

Also, my roommates and I want to get into the nicer complexes and once we heard that people were showing up this early we've started to contemplate getting in line that early, too. Any opinions?

Supposedly they're not letting people line up early anymore. I have no idea how they'd enforce that or if they're even trying.

in some of the facebook groups, people were saying there were between 50-100 people in line around 4, and it went up fast from there. i was waiting to hear about today's events to decide when i think i should get in line, and i'm thinking the earlier the better.

I heard that someone went at 5am and even then he wasn't the first people in line. His roommates got there at 430 and they weren't the first there either.

I wish they would enforce this, or at least spend the extra money to make this an online process. My college uses a lottery process for everyone but freshman. Lower numbers get first pick, obviously.

They weren't enforcing 7am as of Fall 2012 check in and we were given the same "no lining up before 7am" note too. Me and my roommates showed up between 4:30-5am and were about 50th back in line. By 7am the line had to be moved into the entry of Vista so it could wrap out and down the sidewalk and no one was standing out in the street. Check in also started before 9am, it started around 7:45-8am. From the look of it, it seems that's still the norm.

I think that's crazy though if i were doing another cp id probably line up early just to get the complex id want.

Heck i DID line up early when I did my cp, but early was by 7am and there were maybe 30 people there at that time? we didnt even have to stand in a line! My have things changed in 3 years.

I think it depends on the date you're checking in. Today was also the first day of arrivals. I think paranoia has probably spread. If you want Chattam or Patterson, showing up early is necessary most likely.

I think I would be safe showing up at 5-6 am for Vista. The lines are long but I would keep an eye on the FB groups over the next few days to see what the average times are.

My daughter and 7 other girls met online and really wanted to room together. There are not that many 4 bedroom units. We knew there was none in Vista but did not know how many would be open for Jan 7 check in......

so yes call me crazy, my daughter was the first person in line on Jan 7th. We got there at 2:15 AM but she did not go get in line until 3:15 when the next set of people came.
The security guards were super friendly and talked with the kids as they arrived. By 4 AM, three of my daughters room mates arrived and the other 4 were they by 5 AM.
The line continued to grow and by 5 AM was at least 60 people. By 6 it was well over 120. (yes I was counting from the car)

They started the check in process at 7:15 AM, they led the kids to the building were they would start the paperwork. By 7:38 my daughter and room mates found out they got the only 4 bedroom apartment available....:worship::worship::worship:

So the benefit of getting there that early paid off for them. Other friends of hers showed up at 8 AM and did not get the 2 bedroom in Patterson that wanted.

The first 40 people to check in were the first ones to go to casting at 8:30 AM. They were back to Vista done with everything for the day by 10:30 AM.
Then we spent the day moving stuff in. We had done some shopping on Saturday 1/5. When we went back to Walmart on Monday you could tell what items the DCPers were buying.

People who checked in at 9 AM did not have casting until 1:30 and did not get back to Vista until 4:45 PM.

Try to bring a drink and a snack with you. It's going to be a long day no matter when you get in line.

My daughter and 7 other girls met online and really wanted to room together. There are not that many 4 bedroom units. We knew there was none in Vista but did not know how many would be open for Jan 7 check in......

so yes call me crazy, my daughter was the first person in line on Jan 7th. We got there at 2:15 AM but she did not go get in line until 3:15 when the next set of people came.
The security guards were super friendly and talked with the kids as they arrived. By 4 AM, three of my daughters room mates arrived and the other 4 were they by 5 AM.
The line continued to grow and by 5 AM was at least 60 people. By 6 it was well over 120. (yes I was counting from the car)

They started the check in process at 7:15 AM, they led the kids to the building were they would start the paperwork. By 7:38 my daughter and room mates found out they got the only 4 bedroom apartment available....:worship::worship::worship:

So the benefit of getting there that early paid off for them. Other friends of hers showed up at 8 AM and did not get the 2 bedroom in Patterson that wanted.

The first 40 people to check in were the first ones to go to casting at 8:30 AM. They were back to Vista done with everything for the day by 10:30 AM.
Then we spent the day moving stuff in. We had done some shopping on Saturday 1/5. When we went back to Walmart on Monday you could tell what items the DCPers were buying.

People who checked in at 9 AM did not have casting until 1:30 and did not get back to Vista until 4:45 PM.

Try to bring a drink and a snack with you. It's going to be a long day no matter when you get in line.

that's crazy that it got so busy that early. i want a 1br in patterson and know that i would have to get in line early, but i guess i'll have to get up even earlier, especially since my date is the second to last one. maybe 3

Just dropped dd off at 4 am - there were at least 30 people/more in line.

Good luck everyone!!

Somewhat off topic but off the top of my head, is Chattam the one you have to walk to for the bus stop or you have to walk to Patterson from Chattam for a bus stop?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter