Should we GO!

browniemtb

DIS Veteran
Booked Thanksgiving week at our home BWV but haven't purchased flights. Kids will be not going back to school, older 2 will be remote to finish their college classes and the 2 younger are already mostly remote. Question I ask myself is it worth the $$ to go down with the 1 park 1 day and from the sounds of it many restaurants are closed? I also booked this before Covid hit and borrowed points to make it happen. So I have to deal with that unless DVC lets me put my borrowed points back in their UY. Just don't know!

Booked Thanksgiving week at our home BWV but haven't purchased flights. Kids will be not going back to school, older 2 will be remote to finish their college classes and the 2 younger are already mostly remote. Question I ask myself is it worth the $$ to go down with the 1 park 1 day and from the sounds of it many restaurants are closed? I also booked this before Covid hit and borrowed points to make it happen. So I have to deal with that unless DVC lets me put my borrowed points back in their UY. Just don't know!

I don't know about you or the rest of the world, but I really need a vacation. If it's 1 park a day, so be it. I just need to get away!

You can currently unborrow, they could change that rule at any time. Maybe call member services to unborrow for now, and then make a decision later? Plenty of points to rent easily out there...

I have gone to a lot of trouble to quarantine, and flights and theme parks do not fit my family's view of quarantine.

Well, I just cancelled our NYE trip because of crowds, and booked a slightly longer, nicer vacation in one bedrooms for the end of January.

We do have a vacation in early December.

Because of the holiday, I would be more hesitant. Whatever you decide, don’t keep second guessing. I spent about a month analyzing NYE And agonizing over it. I feel much better now.

Well - I don't know if anyone can tell you what YOU should do but I can tell you what WE are doing....

We are flying from PA and staying for thanksgiving week. We planned it at the 11 month mark so prior to everything happening.

From all reports I can see that the park capacity is reduced, the lines may appear long however the wait times are not. HS is going to be more busy than all other parks.

And this year has been absolute garbage for us so we have been desperately clinging to this trip as something to look forward to. IF Florida is still listed on my state's "recommended to quarantine" list - we will quarantine upon return. That's how much we want to go. We also have gone to a lot of trouble to maintain safety during these times and we feel that we will be able to continue to do so during this trip.

The resort decorations will be up, they'll have special holiday related treats, and we will have a break and be able to be in our happy place.

Everyone assesses risk differently. It's tough balancing all the competing & often conflicting information and emotions. All the more so if there is financial loss involved. But only you and your family can decide what to do.

My advice is to decide and then just find a way to live with your decision. Living with indecision is living with constant stress. No one needs that!

Good luck!

P.S. Our family decided to wait until late 2021, and eat the $$ loss. We are sad, but for us, the risk outweighed the want. I do feel much better now that the decision is made and arrangements cancelled. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with @CarolMN Try to decide sooner rather than later and be as comfortable as possible with it.

If you really want those borrowed points back, the canceling soonGives the best chance for that since they are doing it.

I currently have 6 trips booked and hoping to go but most are solo right now.

Good luck!

I say no. My wife and I went last week for a resort only stay. We chose not to go to a park due to the restrictions vs price. Also, seeing cast members walking around like they’re about to weld metal took some of the magic away. We won’t be going back until things are back to normal.

Yes what does that mean? I've watched many youtubers interact with cast members and did not see any mean or angry cast members.

We just booked a week at BWV for the week of Thanksgiving (actually flying home on Thanksgiving Day.) It was not an easy decision. For us, we NEED the time away with our daughters and because of age and other risk factors, our normal extended-family Thanksgiving celebration is not going to happen. I didn't want to be sad all week.

Either way, I am trying to focus on the fact that it is a Disney trip and will be a memorable, albeit very unique experience!

We still plan to go in Dec. Not happy about MVMCP and fireworks being cancelled and I still paid full price for my tickets and park hours are cut. Disney should be glad people are willing to go and throw some kind of bonus in for taking away a lot of the entertainment.

You have to make up your mind, but I will share my recent experience. We did a 2 week trip, split between PVB & RIV, in the lead up to Labor Day, and I would absolutely do it again. We were in the parks each day, and had a great time. While in the parks each day, we did not feel compelled to open and close the parks, so we also spent more time at the resorts, vs our normal trips. Crowds were non-existent, and lines were minimal. Did not miss not having fastpass+, as many rides had minimal waits (did flight of passage 3 times in a row, all walk on, and walked on Dwarf Mine, etc.). The exception was Labor Day weekend, which was more crowded, and we spent more time at hotel those days. I liked not having to pre plan 6 months in advance for everything. Seemed more relaxed to me.

My opinion is GO!!! We were on the fence for a late July trip, decided about a week before we were just going to do it, and I am so glad we did. This year has sucked, let's just face it, we can squeak a little joy in can't we? We spent 12 days at WDW and it was different, hot as you know what in the masks, but we had a blast. The longest we waited for anything was an hour for Rise of the Resistance, because it broke down as we were about to get on. Aside from that, most wait times were under 30 minutes, and I think the longest we actually waited standby was MMRR about 45 minutes. What I will say is if this is a one time every 5 year kind of trip, you probably want to wait. For people like my family though where we are at least once every other year, you live with missing out on fireworks, some dining options, etc. I would have regretted not going, but that's just me. Everyone looks at these things differently, but if I were you, I'd be going. Heck, I'm trying to talk my wife into going Wed-Sat of Thanksgiving myself!

Question I ask myself is it worth the $$ to go down with the 1 park 1 day and from the sounds of it many restaurants are closed?
If your used to the new normal - masks and social distancing -- why not?! We are going that week too, our kids are remote, although i don't know how much they will actually be doing while we are there. I guess they can be "in class" while we wait in line for a ride. They usually don't do much that week anyways.

We are embracing the one park per day because it will actually force us to enjoy the resort more. I love that AK will close by 5. If the parks are open later i would feel obligated to be at the park vs relaxing at the resort or checking out Disney springs. It puts less pressure on us to pack our days with the parks.

I do think it will be quite a bit more crowded than what we are seeing currently. I am trying to adjust my expectations that some hot rides will have longer waits, but it certainly will not be as bad as thanksgiving normally would be.

As for the restaurants it is giving us an opportunity to try different places. We are kind of planning more QS meals, which will probably save us some $$$.

We think it will be a once in a life time experience to be at the parks, for a holiday and it won't be packed. At least I hope so.

I can only relate what WE did...
Had a Nov 2020 reservation. Cancelled it in July. WE did so due to no events, no restaurants, sketchy flights, various state "return restrictions". Not worth the time & effort, to our family.

When there is a park? We will GO to it.

Eldest son, separate Reservation, did the same.

All points banked to 2021 - already reserved for APR 2021, BRV, our home resort.

My opinion is GO!!! We were on the fence for a late July trip, decided about a week before we were just going to do it, and I am so glad we did. This year has sucked, let's just face it, we can squeak a little joy in can't we? We spent 12 days at WDW and it was different, hot as you know what in the masks, but we had a blast. The longest we waited for anything was an hour for Rise of the Resistance, because it broke down as we were about to get on. Aside from that, most wait times were under 30 minutes, and I think the longest we actually waited standby was MMRR about 45 minutes. What I will say is if this is a one time every 5 year kind of trip, you probably want to wait. For people like my family though where we are at least once every other year, you live with missing out on fireworks, some dining options, etc. I would have regretted not going, but that's just me. Everyone looks at these things differently, but if I were you, I'd be going. Heck, I'm trying to talk my wife into going Wed-Sat of Thanksgiving myself!
Totally agree. We also went for 12-days in late August. Were on the fence about going up to the last min. So glad we did. We are also looking to potentially planning another trip this fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter