Should we get DDP?

Eeyorerocks!

Mouseketeer
Hi!

We are leaving for the World very soon :goodvibes

Of course, I have been mulling over whether to get DDP for months, and now we are practically at the last minute we can add it :scared1:

It is me, DH, DD(10), DS(10), DS2(2). I have a birthday dinner planned at Tutto Italia, lunch at Tusker House, breakfast at CP, and possibly one other dinner TS meal. I have no doubt we would make good use of the CS meals, so that's not as much of a concern for us. We are only there for 3 nights, prior to 4 night cruise on Wonder. My mother, her husband, and her husband's son are also joining us, but will not be on DDP (they are staying off-site).

I am nervous b/c since it is a short trip, and one of our kids is a toddler, (usually good in restaurants, but getting to the age where he is more restless) I'm nervous about missing a TS ADR, and losing money on the DDP. Like everyone else, we are trying to be very budget conscious. I at least want to break even. I figured a short trip is an ideal time to try DDP, but just not sure whether it is right for us :confused: We don't generally order dessert with our meals, so this is another thing I'm trying to figure in. Of course, I'm sure we wouldn't refuse the dessert ;)

Sorry this is a bit long. Anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not we should purchase DDP (we would be getting the "regular" DDP)?

Thanks for your help :)

First, I am assuming you did not book a Land and Sea package. The dining plans are a part of a WDTC package, and they don't sell the land part of a Land and Sea.
For a three night stay, you would get three nights of entitlements. And you seem to easily have the table service dinners planned.
To me Tutto's alone is expensive enough when not on the DDP to want to book a DDP. Then you have CP too.
The two 10 year olds will be "adults" on the DDP.
One downside to the DDP is what credits you don't use, you lose. But anyone can go through What Ifs.

How soon is "very soon?" You can't add a dining plan within 72 hours of arrival.

As the previous poster noted, you'd need to have a regular package reservation, not a land/sea package booked through the cruise line.

How soon is "very soon?" You can't add a dining plan within 72 hours of arrival.

As the previous poster noted, you'd need to have a regular package reservation, not a land/sea package booked through the cruise line.

We are DVC members (sorry, I should have added that to my OP), and are staying at BLT on points for the 3 nights. We are permitted to add DDP 48 hours before arrival.

Hi Eeyore!

I would take a look at the menus on Allears.net and try to "guess" what each of your 10 year olds might order as the biggest cost comes from them being considered Disney adults. :( This is what I did when I was trying to decide on a dining plan for us since my DD is also 10. Based on our plan (and the fact my DD has expensive taste in food - ie will order a filet, sushi, etc when she can) we came out ahead with the DP.

Based on what you've put in, Tusker House lunch and CP breakfast will cost min $21 for those TS. To break even for those days you'll have to spend at least $21 more per person between the snack and the CS. That might be tough. (This is assuming you pay $42 for each adult dining plan)

You will definitely get your money's worth on your Tutto Italia day -- assuming both kids ordered the cheapest things on the menu - $24 entree+ $8 dessert + $3 soda = $35 BEFORE CS and snack. Another TS dinner could end up the same way.

So... its a tough call! :)

Hi Eeyore!

I would take a look at the menus on Allears.net and try to "guess" what each of your 10 year olds might order as the biggest cost comes from them being considered Disney adults. :( This is what I did when I was trying to decide on a dining plan for us since my DD is also 10. Based on our plan (and the fact my DD has expensive taste in food - ie will order a filet, sushi, etc when she can) we came out ahead with the DP.

Based on what you've put in, Tusker House lunch and CP breakfast will cost min $21 for those TS. To break even for those days you'll have to spend at least $21 more per person between the snack and the CS. That might be tough. (This is assuming you pay $42 for each adult dining plan)

You will definitely get your money's worth on your Tutto Italia day -- assuming both kids ordered the cheapest things on the menu - $24 entree+ $8 dessert + $3 soda = $35 BEFORE CS and snack. Another TS dinner could end up the same way.

So... its a tough call! :)

Thanks for putting it in perspective! That helps :) Especially the part about needing $21 more per person to break even :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter