Should we expect a bumpy ride?

chanty

DIS Veteran
Leaving Sunday night from Canada. I know Sandy is going by the east coast...I've never flown with a "hurricane" in play! Does that affect the plane ride? Should we expect it to be bumpy? Or will the planes re-route to a smoother route?

Thanks!

Chantal

You should expect the plane to fly over or around it as much as possible. Through Monday, it doesn't appear to be tracking to hit the states except some extreme rain in extreme east Florida Saturday.

The airlines will attempt to take a smoother route. You can expect your flight to fly a bit more westerly route than is normal, which may increase the length of the flight. The airlines want to make your flight comfortable so you'll fly again and tell your friends there is nothing to worry about.

Also a bumpy flight uses more fuel.

In Aug 1999 we saw I think Hurricane Dennis going down on one Saturday and coming back up the next Sunday.

It was a Hurricane then a Tropical storm and then it went back to a Hurricane.

When it's a large system, there isn't always a smoother route.

I'll be flying tomorrow out of Daytona Beach, so I might find out first hand.

Hurricanes don't usually cause much turbulence because they won't fly you near one. The thermals are what cause turbulence (hot air meeting cold air).

They will fly around it or above it. Might have some turbulence as they pass through air masses getting to their smooth routes, but that shouldn't impact you much.

One of the neatest things I've ever seen from a plane was a hurricane (might have been tropical storm strength by then) from above in the bright sunshine with swirling white clouds below us off to the side of the aircraft. We were many miles way, not directly above, but it was quite a sight!

You also may want to check and see where your flight is originating from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter