Should we even try...

usd2bmd

DIS Veteran
So we are cruising out of Port Canaveral at the end of August and we come back August 31st. Our ship (Carnival Dream) is scheduled to be back in Port at 8:00AM and our flight doesn't take off until 5:40PM.

So we are thinking about driving to Downtown Disney to do some shopping and ..well...just to get my Disney fix. We haven't been since 2009 so it is killing me that we will be that close and not actually in a park or on a ride.

But am I nuts??

So we are cruising out of Port Canaveral at the end of August and we come back August 31st. Our ship (Carnival Dream) is scheduled to be back in Port at 8:00AM and our flight doesn't take off until 5:40PM.

So we are thinking about driving to Downtown Disney to do some shopping and ..well...just to get my Disney fix. We haven't been since 2009 so it is killing me that we will be that close and not actually in a park or on a ride.

But am I nuts??

Well it would be too much for me & dh. We don't like to be "rushed" anymore.

I would be focusing on just chilling, getting to the airport, and going home.

Well it would be too much for me & dh. We don't like to be "rushed" anymore.

I would be focusing on just chilling, getting to the airport, and going home.

My first thought was this but then I realized the OP is likely flying out of the Orlando airport. If they are off the boat promptly (and I know that can vary) they could get to DTD at a decent time for shopping and some lunch before getting to the airport for their flight. A lot of this is dependent on how they are traveling (rental car, private transport, etc)

And really where would they be chilling? Gets old fast to be hanging out at the airport.

Liz

I would! If I got off the ship smoothly, why not for a couple hours. It's a very easy drive to the airport from DTD.

My first thought was this but then I realized the OP is likely flying out of the Orlando airport. If they are off the boat promptly (and I know that can vary) they could get to DTD at a decent time for shopping and some lunch before getting to the airport for their flight. A lot of this is dependent on how they are traveling (rental car, private transport, etc)

And really where would they be chilling? Gets old fast to be hanging out at the airport.

Liz

We are flying out of Orlando and are stopping to pick up a rental car after leaving the ship.

The bolded is what would make me want to rip out my hair. I can't imagine spending the day at the airport...

We are flying out of Orlando and are stopping to pick up a rental car after leaving the ship.

The bolded is what would make me want to rip out my hair. I can't imagine spending the day at the airport...
I would definitely want to do SOMETHING during that time. Let's say you're off the ship by 9, through customs by 10, on the road by 10:30. So your choices are...

1) Go directly to the airport, you're there by 11:30 and you have 6 hours to kill.
2) Go somewhere (even DTD you'd be there by Noon). Kill ~3 hours, then head to the airport. I don't think it's worth going to a park (unless you have AP), but shopping or dining? Why not?

That just seems like a ton of time to spend at the airport. I would go to DTD but just be smart about time.

Sounds like you could have an hour or 2 to spend at DTD on the way to the airport. Why not?

A little shopping, a little snack, smell some Disney air!pixiedust:

I'd do it...heck, we're going to do it. We've got about 6 hours of down time between disembarkment and our flight in October so we're going to DTD for a little shopping and lunch. There's no way I'd consider hanging out in the airport with 3 kids for that long.

Liz

I guess it kind of depends on your personality and how things are going at MCO that day. My lone experience flying out of MCO was probably the second worst I ever have had. That day there was a 90 minute wait at security. We got there 2 hours and 15 minutes before flight time, and were in line at security 2 hours before flight time. Our plan was to have a leisurely lunch inside the secured area, instead we went straight to our gate and walked right on our plane. Our kids had to make do with granola bars until we changed planes in Dallas. Throw in that I hate driving in strange cities, when I have to be somewhere (the airport) by a certain time. I would be a wreck the entire time until I got to the airport.

On our recent trip we had visited WDW before our cruise and had an extra park ticket. We took advantage of the self assist disembarkation on Carnival and were off the ship by 7:30. We picked up our rental car and drove to Animal Kingdom before our evening flight.

Once we did just the Disney 7 night cruise and had the same evening flight. But in that trip we went to Downtown Disney, ate lunch at t-Rex, shopped and had plenty of time to get to the airport, eat and get through security.

It's doable but take advantage of Carnivals self assist disembarkation.

How long is your cruise? I am always exhausted after my cruises! Personally I would be way too tired to go to DTD, plus I would be worried about encountering what TVguy had happen to him!

On our recent trip we had visited WDW before our cruise and had an extra park ticket. We took advantage of the self assist disembarkation on Carnival and were off the ship by 7:30. We picked up our rental car and drove to Animal Kingdom before our evening flight.

Once we did just the Disney 7 night cruise and had the same evening flight. But in that trip we went to Downtown Disney, ate lunch at t-Rex, shopped and had plenty of time to get to the airport, eat and get through security.

It's doable but take advantage of Carnivals self assist disembarkation.

I never even thought about the self assist debarkation...that is a very good idea too...it can give us an earlier start. Thanks for that.

Now of course we are kicking ourselves for not just extending the vacation a couple of days on the back end and going to Disney..
We always go on vacation the last week of August because we live in New York and my daughter starts school right after Labor Day. We usually come home the Saturday before so we still have a couple of days to unwind before she goes back to school.

She will be a senior this year so this will probably be the last time we can vacation at that time so we really want to make the most of it. If we can some how fit some Disney in there somewhere it will be all the better!

Ok, so the plan may be adjusted slightly. We are flying in on Friday so we might just go right to Downtown Disney. This will give us more time there. We land at 12:30 on Friday so we have all the time we need...maybe we could do a park.....

I guess it kind of depends on your personality and how things are going at MCO that day. My lone experience flying out of MCO was probably the second worst I ever have had. That day there was a 90 minute wait at security. We got there 2 hours and 15 minutes before flight time, and were in line at security 2 hours before flight time. Our plan was to have a leisurely lunch inside the secured area, instead we went straight to our gate and walked right on our plane. Our kids had to make do with granola bars until we changed planes in Dallas. Throw in that I hate driving in strange cities, when I have to be somewhere (the airport) by a certain time. I would be a wreck the entire time until I got to the airport.

Ok so how early do you suggest getting to MCO...your experience was isolated. I have flown out of MCO so many times I couldn't even venture a guess and I have never had a two hour wait through security. I am not sure that occasional happening is enough to have the OP leave the ship and go right to the airport.

Liz

I just made that drive yesterday, it's a tad more than an hours drive. Be prepared to hit FOUR tolls on 528, I believe if memory serves $1, $1, $1.25 and $1 and all are fairly close together.

From the airport to DTD it's about a 30 minute drive. Just continue on 528 to I-4 West to exit 68. Easy Peasy!!!

If you decide to not to attempt DTD the Florida Mall is located very close to the Airport, it's huge and you could still your shopping fix on. :thumbsup2

Unless you get hung up getting off the ship, or picking up the car, or getting stuck in traffic, I see no reason, why a trip to DTD isn't feasible.

I'd definitely do it! The drive isn't bad and you've got plenty of time to get to the airport! (otherwise what are you going to do all day? Sit at the airport?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter