Should we drive or fly? What are you doing?

What should we do?

• Fly

• Drive

Results are only viewable after voting.

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
I realize this is a decision we'll have to make on our own, but I keep going back and forth, so I wanted to get some input. We're going to Disney in Nov. Originally, we had planned to drive, as we did last year (which was our DDs first trip there). The drive is about 20 hrs. We did it straight thru, and our DDs were great. They have no issues w/being in their carseats, we have videos, we stop when needed, etc. Overall, drive went really well. At some point they were tired of being in the car, but who wasn't. The times we left worked out great, and we'd probably follow the same schedule as last year.

Then I mentioned, well, I guess we could fly. We're going to CA next year, longer flight, DDs haven't flown before so this could be a shorter 'practice' flight. My issue is, I haven't flown in over 6 years and I'm scared to death to fly. And now, with the terrorist plot, all the restrictions, having to deal w/DDs on their first flight, not bringing some items along, the Russian plane just crashed yesterday. AAGGHH. I don't know what to do.

As of now, we're set to do either...we have airline tickets, which we could cancel, because we could use them for our trip to CA next year, so thats no big deal. We also have a room reserved in Gainsville for our drive down. I keep going back and forth. I was all set to fly until 2 weeks ago, now I want to drive again. What would you do? What do you do when you go down, do you fly or drive?

forgot to mention, my DDs will be 5 and 2.5 yrs old at the time of the trip.

Our trip will be 22 hours from Oklahoma. We are planning on driving for a day and spending a night somewhere and hitting WDW the following day.. We are choosing driving for several reasons, cost of flights for 4 of us, getting to see the country side while we drive, and just feel safer all the way around. OUr twins will be 3 at the time of arrival, we too have videos, games, DVD, snacks, sleep,,LOL.. And plus, with 2 little ones, we have so much to pack, I couldn't imagine putting all of that on a plane.

And after WDW we are headed to VA to spend a week to visit Grandma, it's just makes it easier for us.. Hope you have fun and make a good decision for your family..

We are also Driving this December from Michigan (22hours). We drove last year also when our DSs were 5and almost 3. The drive turn out to be part of the trip, they really liked seeing the mountains in Kentucky and Tennessee and they didn't care if their hotel was in Kentucky or Florida. To them a hotel's a hotel no matter where it was they enjoyed it. It was also a great learning lesson for my DS5 to learn about the different states and what their names were and what special things each state had in them ie. bridges, big cities, mountains, ect.

Besides that, it just wasn't and still isn't affordable for our family of now 5 (we just had a DD 3months ago) to fly.

However, if terrorism is your only stipulation than, I would still fly and refuse to let fear make my decisions.

No matter how you get there, I'm sure you have a great time once your there :)

The price of fuel, food, time, ect just take a valuim, get on the plane, close your eyes and when you wake up you will be in Orlando! You are safer now than evrey before.

Fly!

I did not vote, but with that said we are driving. We travel a lot but the 12 year old does not recall the south as well as the 14 year old. We are actually looking forward to the ride.

DH still recall the first time we saw all the orange groves. Up here in Maine it is apples.... seeing pine trees slowly turn to palm trees; not just appearing after landing, sunsets, sunrises.....

Enjoy your trip what ever you choose for transportation :moped:

Since I hate long drives and WDW per Mapquest is 46 hours from here there is no way I would drive. I hate to drive to DL which is only 10 hrs, I always fly.

For $1200 my family of 4 can get to FL in less than 8 hours, great bargain IMO.

Re: Flying - call your Dr. get a RX for Xanax, great stuff, I use it everytime I fly it is an anti-anxiety med that doesn't make me feel drugged it just takes the fear away.

When we were younger, we drove on all of our vacation. Today we fly almost ever were my once drove to. I do not know if its getting older or just ALL the nuts on the road. But I can not make any trip more than 4 hours in a car. With SW airlines now at our local airport, we can go almost any where in the country by plane.

If money's not an issue, definitely fly. Even with all of the stuff on the news, remember statistically you are MUCH safer flying than driving 20 hours.

I would fly. You will have to fly next year for Cali....and with this trip..you will be ready.

My girls are well versed on airplanes now. They love to fly.

Our very first trip to WDW back in '84, we drove from N.E. Texas to Disney. That one time driving convinced me to fly from that point on. Don't get me wrong, the boys then were 8 & 5 yo at the time, and were really very good considering the trip length in miles/time involved. It's just that I really don't like driving long distances. From our house to Dallas or Houston is about as far as I will drive before considering flying to a place. The next year we decided then that flying was the only way for us to travel to WDW anymore. Since then, it has always been flying. Now both of our sons are married and have families of their own, and last year for MNSSHP and the past summer we all flew to Disney for vacations. The boys prefure flying to driving and I guess it's my fault for that.

I say fly. When you factor in the high cost of gas now, the food on the road, hotels, and the extra time off of work, driving just isn't as cheap as it used to be. What city would you be flying out of? Airlines often have good rates to Orlando because it's a popular destination.

Here is what I figured for a friend who was having this dilemma:

Arline tickets for 4 from DFW to MCO:
-$250 pp for a total of $1000

Driving expenses:
-$300 in gas
-$100 for a hotel
-$100 for meals
-$500 total one way, trip total $1000

I would drive. That's what we're doing, we're about 16 hours away (oh for the days when we were only 10 hours away, but Katrina took care of that!). We originally thought we'd fly, but I number-crunched and it'll only cost us about $450 total to drive--that's with hotel, gas, food (we have a car that gets pretty good highway mileage). We could do all 16 in one day I suppose, but I have a 4 y/o and a 11 month old (she will be that old when we go, in Dec) and I'm thinking 16 hours straight in the car is not a good idea with kids that age. Time off is not an issue for us, and flying will cost us $1000, so it's a no-brainer for me. I'd rather have that extra $550 for Disney for souvenirs, nicer dinners, or whatever!

Plus it's so much hassle to fly now. Bleh. Not worth it anymore. I hate to fly anyway, so I'm a bit biased, ha ha. ;)

I flew last summer for the first time in 18 years :rolleyes: We never think twice about 21 hour drives. Even though my DH flies almost weekly, I was a nervous wreck. Even a few tears squeaked out as we approached the airport. The flight (to CA) seemed to take forever, but I did fine, kids did fine and wasn't it nice to be there in a few hours over driving. The security is making flying safer than ever in our country.

I did it again this summer up north and was contemplating flying next month to WDW because it was SO EASY, and it's just me and DS. But he is disabled and does better to avoid buses, so I am going to drive down so I don't get into a pickle with a week of him and buses.

I vote for you to FLY ! The time, the energy etc you will save and the extra hours of enjoyment will be worth it. With ME it couldn't be easier. I don't know what type of mileage you get but you are talking around $500 in gas for a 20 hr drive roundtrip, so take that off the price of the tickets. And if you are flying on points - GO FOR IT :thumbsup2

We are flying! I got tickets for $59 each way, and it is just cheaper and way easier for us! I don't do well for with long rides in the car, LOL!! ;)

I will admit that I would much rather fly than make the long drive, but I think $500 one way from Dallas is more than a little high unless you drive a hummer or a tank. Fuel cost for a roundtrip from dallas to orlando at 20 plus mpg will be much closer to $300 (that's at $3.00 per gallon). We are budgeting $600 (including food and hotel each way) for the roundtrip drive this year (1125 miles each way). For my family of 5 to fly, it would cost $1200 - $1300. So it is still half the price. For us, gas would have to go up to $8.00 a gallon before driving and flying would cost the same.

Plus some other savings - Gas to and from the airport, parking at the airport, rental car for a week.

We just got back on Sunday. We drove to WDW. Let me tell you this. It was actually very drive for us at least (20 hours drive each way) The gas costs us about $350.00 R/T on a Honda SUV. WE stopped @ Florence, SC exit 164 stayed @Comfort Inn (very clean and reasonable priced too- $53+ w/free wireless internet and breakfast too) On the way back we stayed @ Fayetteville, NC. We stayed @Comfort Inn @exit 49. Another nice one-nighter motel for $60.00.
Food each way wasn't that bad too. Lunch @BK. Dinner @Cracker Barrel and Ruby Tuesday.
We spent $120.00 (motels both ways)
$150.00(food on the road)
________$350.00(gas)
Totaled $ 620.00/4 adults

It would've cost each of us about 250 to fly plus rental car.

Thanks for all the replies! Just to note...the cost isn't a factor in our decision...The airline tickets are paid for, but can be used next year if not this year, and if we'd pay extra for gas, etc, thats fine. I read a 'you should fly post' and it makes sense, then I feel like I should fly again...then I read a 'you should drive post' and I go back to wanting to drive! Thank you all for your opinions, it really does help to hear others voices on the topic.

We live in Oklahoma. I have a dd3 and ds1, so we are chosing to fly. 20+ hours in a car with two little ones just seemed so much more stressful than a few hours on a plane. We will be flying into Houston and then to Orlando. My parents used to drive my sister and I to WDW all the time. I think they drove me one to Disneyland once (about the same distance away) when I was three. My mother says that drive back home was very stressful as I got a case of traveler's diarrhea and my dad had to get back to work in the next couple of days (they weren't able to stop at a hotel to let it clear up). Anyway, I don't remember much about that trip other than it was miserable and my parents forced me to wear a pull up (very tramatic for a potty trained 3 year old :-) ). I am also nervous about the travel restrictions with our one year old. He just turned one, so really, he's still a baby. I'm nursing, so bringing liquids with me isn't as needed as bottle feeding would be. It sounds like your family will probably be happy with either choice you make. Hope you have a great trip!

We drive every year and actually really enjoy it. We also drive straight through and I enjoy having my truck at Disney if I need it;)

We drive 17 hours straight thru, bring a cooler with food and only really maybe stop for a breakfast so we're able to do it a lot cheaper than flying for our family of 5. We can't afford to fly. so if we get to go, we drive and no one yaps it's either that or not go and we all want to go :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter